List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The reason for his attendance at North today was due to doctor's orders. West Coast have been provided with a medical certificate. He has been diagnosed as suffering from a work related injury and as a result he is on sick leave till further notice. He will not go into any details as to his medical condition as he wishes to keep that strictly private. He is doing his best to work with the club and his doctors so he can recover from his injury. He intends to return back to training as soon as he is fit and able

Stranger things have happened, and it doesn't hurt to ask, and they probably will. Doesn't make the board look stupid at all , it's called speculation and we are all entitled to speculate.
What makes the board look stupid is people whingingt about people speculating. ...
Adelaide have taken precisely one SA player in the top 10 in the past 15 years, Riley Thilthorpe.

Go and read the Adelaide board's D&T thread and you'll see most have not much more than a passing interest in Draper.

I posed your exact question there last week and they just laughed at it.

I fully expect them to make a play for Dyson Sharpe next year, a la their play for JHF.

Draper is good but he's not a generational talent worth taking yourself out of the first round the following year for.

Sharpe looks like that guy.

Likely future 4th for Darling.
Yeah, you definitely shouldn't be expecting anything mind blowing in exchange for him. Good for us though since we're clearing $800,000 off our books. Or maybe 600K if we agree to pay 200k of it, or whatever we agree to pay...either way it's a win.

What you/we’re talking about is pure speculation.

What we do know is that we will finish below them and probably several positions below them making the trade of F1 for F2 a pick upgrade of a few places. F1 for F2 is not getting a second first rounder when you are trading a high second rounder for it.

Hawthorn are a young team who were 4 points off a prelim at a hostile away ground.

We need to get other potential buyers involved in this trade if this is the best Hawthorn come up with.
We are getting pick 13* as well.

Going to be a lot of upset supporters in here with this trade

In this game Bo Allan was given a chance to play as one of Peel's primary onballers on the big stage of a prelim final. It wasn't a prolific game for Bo, but he acquitted himself well and put together a few exiting passages of play to tease watchers with his immense potential. The defensive side of the game is where Allan is most accomplished and impactful at this stage, and where he's likely to immediately contribute most strongly at AFL level. His athleticism and physicality allow him to close space rapidly and lay powerful tackles, and he's diligent when playing the sweeping role on the defensive side of the contest. The moments when he tucks the ball under his arm and bursts free of congestion before roosting a deep and penetrating left foot ball into the forward 50 are what get's everyone excited for what he might be capable of in the future.

Talk of paying salary?

Not 100% but wouldn't be surprised if we're chipping in something. Realistically I think we're happy clearing 600k at least from next years cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not 100% but wouldn't be surprised if we're chipping in something. Realistically I think we're happy clearing 600k at least from next years cap.
I guess neither team really needs cap relief that badly, but is there a reason we’d need the money off? Salary floor dictates we can’t exactly just go on an NBA style spending spree but clearing JD and TB off the books.

I guess neither team really needs cap relief that badly, but is there a reason we’d need the money off? Salary floor dictates we can’t exactly just go on an NBA style spending spree but clearing JD and TB off the books.

I think it's more of a case of allowing the player to continue his career. Will be interesting to see what we plan to do with the sudden available cash.

I think it's more of a case of allowing the player to continue his career. Will be interesting to see what we plan to do with the sudden available cash.
Yep, if someone is offering him footy in 2026, you can’t stand in his way because it certainly won’t be here.

Hope Chad Warner likes beach front real estate.

This is possible but on the lower end of probability.

If future picks are being traded high probabilities should be taken into account not low ones.

It is close to certain we will finish 15 - 18 (#19 - 22 before all the crap is added in) and Hawthorn will finish 1 - 5 (#14 - 18).

Best case scenario is we finish 15 (#22) and Hawthorn finish 5 (#14) leaving an 8 place gap. The worst case scenario would be a 1 place gap between 18 and 19.

Let’s halve between 1 and 8, and make it 4. Nothing to get excited about there.
I don't think the 'best case scenario' is Hawthorn finishing fifth. They may not be a beaten down Collingwood, but they do resemble a young Freo that surged into the top eight only to miss the finals for the next two years. Or Melbourne in 2018. Too many moving parts to just assume Hawthorn's stocks continue to rise. At the beginning of this season, they were terrible and in line for priority picks.

I don't think the 'best case scenario' is Hawthorn finishing fifth. They may not be a beaten down Collingwood, but they do resemble a young Freo that surged into the top eight only to miss the finals for the next two years. Or Melbourne in 2018. Too many moving parts to just assume Hawthorn's stocks continue to rise. At the beginning of this season, they were terrible and in line for priority picks.
Essentially gambling on where Hawthorn might finish next year is poor trading imo.

There is no science or logic to it, it is pure guesswork. All teams are different.

One thing is absolutely certain, we will be below them.

WEST COAST
Trade out:
Junior Rioli, picks No.2, 40
Trade in: Picks No.8, 12, 2023 second-round pick (tied to Port Adelaide), 2023 third-round pick (tied to Port Adelaide)

It’s widely accepted that 2 was traded for 8 and 12 leaving the remainder was the Rioli deal which we stupidly bundled into it. The future picks became 2023 pick 40 (traded) and 49 (Johnston).

So essentially we traded Rioli and pick 40 for F2 (40) and Johnston.

We then traded 40 and F3 (2024 pick 41) for 38 (Hall). So the net result is Rioli, 2022 pick 40 and 2024 pick 41 for Hall and Johnston.

It was a terrible deal, we essentially gave him away after the ensuing deals.
couldn't believe this shit at the time. still gets me mad thinking about it.
**** you pieman.png

I’m surprised how high a value people are placing on Barrass. When Hawks were sitting on pick 8 or 9, it felt about right. Now that it is pick 13, I believe a little sweetener is needed.

What is that sweetener?

Talk of 2 x R1 feels over rated.

The R1 pick has lost 4 or 5 places so the idea about Hawks F1 for our F2 would see us improve from 2 to 10 spots at end of 2025 first round. It comes with risk but probably more upside than downside. Worse case with any priority picks and FA compo would be an upgrade of 5 spots. Who can see Tigers not collecting a pair of wooden spoons!

Alternatively it is pick 30.

Either of those I’m ok with

All boards will be very different this year and provided we use it wisely, great then we accelerate the rebuild. Whether St Blunder get band 1 or 2, I expect there will be good options at 13. If it was 16, it gets less likely. And I do not include Allan as a target I want at 13.

In terms of Hawks, I expect they will be keen to offer their F2 so that they can stay in this years draft. Big preference on current R2 and not F2

couldn't believe this shit at the time. still gets me mad thinking about it.
View attachment 2112352

We had a stinker but Willie really screwed us over and he as a good chance to walk to PSD for nothing. In hindsight we could have just played hard ball and let that happen as what we ended up getting back was SFA.

The blokes at Port (Cripps and others) are very sharp hard ball operators and far too good for our blokes at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back