List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Why though?

If we are battling to pay the salary floor, then payouts a year early aren’t really going to hurt us.

Either they are part of our future (even if just for 1 guaranteed year) or they are not. Strong no to moving anyone to the rookie list to free up spots and/or just because they are contracted.

Not specifically saying we turf Sheed or CJ, just that strategically even if we get 2 extra rookie spots we should not use our rookie list (currently) as a spot to park contracted players for a year before we cut them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If we got 2 x extra rookie list spots we could move both sheed and Jamo to the rookie list . We then have 2 extra senior list spots for cheap depth players in trade like Garcia / Robertson / carroll

Both sheed and jamo still play for the beagles .

Its important for beagles to become more competitive and successful so all our young developing guys start enjoying their footy .

Not getting pumped is important too

If we got 2 x extra rookie list spots we could move both sheed and Jamo to the rookie list . We then have 2 extra senior list spots for cheap depth players in trade like Garcia / Robertson / carroll

Both sheed and jamo still play for the beagles .

Its important for beagles to become more competitive and successful so all our young developing guys start enjoying their footy .

Not getting pumped is important too
Yeah the beagles sitch is dire

Just my opinion, but your F2 is going to be pushed back a lot, like possibly 10 odd places.

And that’s before anyone has any idea of how many compo picks will be handed out next year.

Right now, the depth of next year’s draft looks to be club tied through NGA’s and father son kids.

WCE_phil might be able to confirm from what he’s heard from recruiters.

In trade discussions next years third rounders are considered nigh on worthless.

We could always ask the afl for 2 extra rookie spots as part of a assistance package .

Move 2 contracted players sheed and jamo to the rookie list so we have 2 more spots open up
More wasted rookie list spots. If we did get extra spots from the AFL why waste them if we can have main list and rookie list spots. For what it's worth Jamieson to the rookie list for the year to see if something clicks is fine, we won't have much kpd depth anyway but sheed,no way.
We'll have the money to spend, buy him out

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Eaglevision and I both have been big on him all year, I'm hoping 40 from North for darling brings him into the club
Would be a great replacement for barrass's list spot .

Being a WA local it gives him time to develop at wafl level rather than drafting interstate talls who require afl exposure early to keep them happy and stay

Geelong delisted a guy who is 27 also in Mitch Hardie who hasn’t played that Geelong fans were calling for to get games who averaged 29 disposals a game playing as an Inside mid , didn’t drop below 20 in any game and also averaged 6 clearances and 5 tackles per game and 14 goals for the year.. at worst he should be drafted to help the wafl side.. good size at 184cm, vfl team of the year , 4th (ahead of dev) in the Liston trophy…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah was about to say this

Id take Hardie over Parfitt as a rookie listed player. Basically replacing Zane Trew in a sense

Cats are delisting blokes we 100% would have signed to 2 year deals. Speaks volumes.
i know our list is dire (within that middle aged bracked being shite), but i cringe seeing us looking at the scrapheap of other clubs and thinking "they'd be handy for us"

its St Kilda level of recruiting B graders.

i know our list is dire (within that middle aged bracked being shite), but i cringe seeing us looking at the scrapheap of other clubs and thinking "they'd be handy for us"
Agree with your general sentiment but replacing a C or D grader with a B grader is a win.

The build will be a lot of small improvements as the A graders - HReid or Bolton or Warner - are rare (and extra difficult for a low ranked WA team).

Pretty sure the last 2 premiership teams have had a DFA recruit in them.

Getting the right one, yes that is the challenge, but it is not uncommon for players to be better in a different position or under a new system.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with your general sentiment but replacing a C or D grader with a B grader is a win.

The build will be a lot of small improvements as the A graders - HReid or Bolton or Warner - are rare (and extra difficult for a low ranked WA team).
I get what your saying. But tbh guys like graham and parfitt are at the lower end of B grade.

Maybe we need to deal with St Kilda more often?

Mark Hutchings - delisted by St Kilda after 0 games, three years later drafted by us from the WAFL for Pick 60 for 120 games and a Premiership.

Jamie Cripps -Traded to us after 16 games and 16 goals for St Kilda along with Pick 46 for Picks 41 and 44 for 235 games, 295 goals (and counting!) and a Premiership.

Hypothetically speaking let’s say we put our F1 on the table for GCS because we want a bigger presence in this draft. Would posters be happy with 6 and 20 coming back from the Suns?

Yes - assuming we get Hawks F1 as part of Tom deal

Hypothetically speaking let’s say we put our F1 on the table for GCS because we want a bigger presence in this draft. Would posters be happy with 6 and 20 coming back from the Suns?

If that's what it takes to save GC from themselves and stop them from sending a gift wrapped pick 6 to Richmond for Rioli then I'm on board

Would be pick 6 + 26 n all reality. Would do it either way

In such a scenario id angle for Hawks F1st + 30 which leaves us with

Pick 3, 6, 23, 26, 30 and 59

5 picks before 30 and then 59 on Champion works for me

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back