List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Giving up 13 for Baker doesn't make sense in isolation. Assuming the Barrass trade is 13 + 30 and Baker is 13 for Baker + 21, combined with a suggestion from stallon to get Warner, 18 + F1 from the Swans for 3 + F1, that could leave us with:

Warner
Baker
18, 21, 23, 30, 59
Swans F1, WCE F2, F3, F4
Trade pick 30 for Peatling then draft 2 wing/half backs and a KPD and we are sorted ready to rise up the ladder.
I really think thatd be an elite off-season

...because we don't want to pay the additional years and dollars that he was asking for.

It's a list management decision and as much ours as his.
My understanding was we were happy to give him extra money just not the extra years he wanted .

After giving Natanui 2 extra years and not seeing him again on the field I'm not surprised

Trade pick 30 for Peatling then draft 2 wing/half backs and a KPD and we are sorted ready to rise up the ladder.
I really think thatd be an elite off-season
With Cummings and Perryman out the door I'd expect GWS to really knuckle down and throw Peatling a deal he can't refuse

You dont seriously believe the swans trade a contracted Warner along with 18 and their F1 for 3 and our F1 do you? Jesus some of these suggestions are delusional
Swans 18 + F1 is 2 late teens picks, thatd fetch pick 10-12ish if traded up, lets call it 11.
2 top 4 picks for Warner + pick 11 is a damn good deal for the Swans, puts Warners value at a top 4 pick + pick 7-10ish

hey pantskyle - are Norf likely to attract Houston to Arden St? If the give up pick 2, surely Port would split it considering they have mids coming out of their ears and desperately need some talls. I would have thought pick 2 would get traction with Tigers (assuming they trade away Rioli, Baker and Bolton) meaning they will have currency to move up the board.

If Port got Armstrong and Shanahan or the Whitlock twins, that would make a lot of sense to their list profile.

Swans cannot get a better offer than our 3 and F1 as a starting point. Certainly a very likely top 3 pick. So what are then their options if not acceptable?

Warner is an excellent player, no doubt, but he isn’t a franchise player yet. Swans also get $1.5m in salary relief which allows them to chase other players along with two top 3 picks.

Thats a lot for one player. We would need something back. Warner isn’t worth 2xfinn Callaghan’s yet. Daicos is.

Climbing up to top 3 in draft is not like trying to get to pick 6. It’s an exponential thing in terms of trade assets.
As much as I want warner and I really want warner ......!

It would be so much better if we can get him next off season after we smash the draft again .

Next off season we would be able to offer our first and future 1st but still have hawks 1st for the draft

He's uncontracted at the end of the day so why we're offering anything more than 23 or preferably F2 is beyond me. This draft is stacked and we need to be prioritising the future, not helping Richmond rebuild.
We shouldn’t be and if Freo out bid us so be it. Have a price and pay it if you get outbid walk away.

What are peoples thoughts on Finn Maginness? Would he consider a move for better role and guaranteed games.
Could he be an option in the Barrass trade, so a 1st and FM for Barrrass, instead of the proposed 1st, and F1 for F2 being thrown around.
Perfect age profile, is a more than capable mid with great endurance, who we know can also tag/shutdown, all 3 things we either are very short on or dont really have. Stats dont scream elite but tags most the time so not his primary obj buts looks like he could if given the freedom.
We still get a 1st rounder this year, and keep our F2, lose Barrass but fill a hole with a young but mature player.

I'd for sure take him. Seems like a younger Redden type (#reddenreplacement) in the sense that he'd be able to mould what he's doing to the midfield around him and make our more exciting players better- if we needed him for the first few years to win a bit more of the ball I reckon he's got that in him, then if after a few years we need him to go back to defensive mode I reckon he'd be invaluable then too.

Would only be hesitant based on the other players we grab in the offseason - if we add 2+ of Parfitt, Peatling (unlikely), Garcia, those types, that's probably too many of that type to get good value out of them all. The Barrass trade falls at an awkward time there as it'll likely be early in the trade period (as it'll unlock a few other deals/let us and Hawks know what we're working with) but after the beginning of the free agency period. Would be happy with the deal you proposed if we weren't really landing anyone else but if we knew we were getting some of those others think it'd be better value just taking the best picks they can give us.

Last edited:
In no other industry would an employee nominate a company they want to go to and the expectation is that company will find a place for them, whether it suits their plans or not. Ridiculous.

If you want to play “in no other industry would an employee/employer relationship work this way”, there’s plenty more examples.

In no other industry would an employee nominate a company they want to go to and the expectation is that company will find a place for them, whether it suits their plans or not. Ridiculous.
huh? Happens all the time

A friend of mine is a commercial leasing agent in Sydney. Made it known to the big 4 he was leaving and he chose his preferred who gave him an offer

If the employee is good enough, companies will certainly do so

I’ll spell it out for you.

Why does he want to go?

Because we declined to increase his salary to something closer to market value (which he has been haggling for 2 years).

Why did we decline to increase his salary?

Because we determined that he’s a player that has draft currency and hence enable us to speed up the rebuild.
Did he deserve more money probably. Does he deserve two extra years at his age. No.
We need to be cautious in extending older players.
He also signed a long contract regardless of what he think he is worth.
Cave in and we may to do the same to other players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other option is hold him to his contract?
We might get something back trading for him next year but not this year.

The in trend is that contracts mean nothing now if the player demands a trade ..If a club has the bargaining picks or players to present a reasonable bid ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

hey pantskyle - are Norf likely to attract Houston to Arden St? If the give up pick 2, surely Port would split it considering they have mids coming out of their ears and desperately need some talls. I would have thought pick 2 would get traction with Tigers (assuming they trade away Rioli, Baker and Bolton) meaning they will have currency to move up the board.

If Port got Armstrong and Shanahan or the Whitlock twins, that would make a lot of sense to their list profile.
if Port get pick 2 they would have to move it to Gold coast for Jack Lukosius as their first pick is 36 at the moment.

Good lord.

Half a dozen pages of absolute bedwetting echo chamber over; :loudspeaker:

• A trade we haven't done yet
  • Which includes a pick we don't have
  • Stemming from a trade that is also still yet to happen.

This is the worst trade melt, in the history of trade melts, maybe ever.

But you can't just have all kids. Baker would be a great help guiding these kids through. Tough too. Doubt he'd allow Harley to get bullied as much.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Absolutely agree that we can’t go all kids. However if we are using first or second round picks in trades it should only be for gun players in the 20-24 age bracket that fill a specific need. Baker is none of those things.

Baker goes hard but he’s 173cm and 70kg. He ain’t protecting anyone. What other fearsome enforcers should be target? Caleb Daniel? Nick Watson?

If we want an experienced body who is a decent mid with some positional flexibility, I would rather throw some money and a later pick at someone with some actual size to throw around like Powell-Pepper for example.

Retain those early picks for draftees or to be involved in trading for an actual gun like Warner.

Good lord.

Half a dozen pages of absolute bedwetting echo chamber over; :loudspeaker:

• A trade we haven't done yet
  • Which includes a pick we don't have
  • Stemming from a trade that is also still yet to happen.

This is the worst trade melt, in the history of trade melts, maybe ever.
Our lack of professionalism over the last 5 years makes all these batshit insane theories likely is the issue .

2018 we would have waived them off as utter delusions. Nowadays it’s our reality we need to worry about…

huh? Happens all the time

A friend of mine is a commercial leasing agent in Sydney. Made it known to the big 4 he was leaving and he chose his preferred who gave him an offer

If the employee is good enough, companies will certainly do so

But the company doesn’t feel compelled to take him. This idea that we have to give him a job is the difference.

Did he deserve more money probably. Does he deserve two extra years at his age. No.
We need to be cautious in extending older players.
He also signed a long contract regardless of what he think he is worth.
Cave in and we may to do the same to other players.

Yeah..we have a history of when our players get to 30 they fall off a cliff. Especially those with an injury history like Barrass. The guy broke his back last year..if you're Hawthorn and think you're on the cusp of getting a premiership with your list then it's a risk you're willing to take. Which is fine, give us two first rounders and he's yours.

The same muppets that offered Nic Nat and Shuey one year deals last year, that's who.

And Callum Jamieson a 2 year deal …

It’s completely absurd to think Garcia isn’t worthy of a 3 year deal with triggers for a 4th on bigger money then Doggies are offering. He is instantly best 22 with little competition for his role and even so his form in VFL is exactly what we need for our 2nds anyway. I mean what are we worrying about here

Just get it done and stop giving a crap what our overpaid potatoes think about Garcia contract length

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back