List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Owies but does he fill a need?

We have Long and Brockman coming back from injury/drama next year, plus Cripps (still), Ryan, Dewar and all the talls.

I’d be focusing on midfield targets, and some replacement depth for Barrass, and maybe a ruck, before I looked at forwards.
If he comes cheap there is a use case for him. Brockman went backwards too.

We have Long and Brockman coming back from injury/drama next year, plus Cripps (still), Ryan, Dewar and all the talls.

I’d be focusing on midfield targets, and some replacement depth for Barrass, and maybe a ruck, before I looked at forwards.
Doesn’t change your points above which I agree with, but I have high hopes Noah Long comes back and eventually moves into a midfield role and turns into a Lachie Neale type 🤞🏻

Regardless of position, we could do a lot worse than someone who is a good age, good durability, proven track record (this year) and seems like a “culture” guy.

You’d think he won’t cost us much at all as they need to get rid of him to manage their salary cap. Further to this, given how this has played out, I’m sure he’ll be happy to stick his middle finger at them by going preseason draft (unlike old mate Baker).

Can't say i'm particularly keen on Owies, who we made look like Stephen Milne the last time we played.

Draper can piss off. Enough of this shit. I say we call his bluff and draft him anyway.

Three drafts in a row now we've had players do this crap we have to adjust our draft board for.

Owies at the right price would be a good get. Kicked 30 odd and is in the age bracket we need. Cripps nearly done leaving with ryan as the only senior small. Long coming back via a knee injury and dewar only promise at this stage. I honestly think Brockman is tracking in that SPS direction

Can't say i'm particularly keen on Owies, who we made look like Stephen Milne the last time we played.

Draper can piss off. Enough of this shit. I say we call his bluff and draft him anyway.

Three drafts in a row now we've had players do this crap we have to adjust our draft board for.
Think he’ll change his attitude when Big Harls carrys him on his back

Good lord.

Half a dozen pages of absolute bedwetting echo chamber over; :loudspeaker:

• A trade we haven't done yet
  • Which includes a pick we don't have
  • Stemming from a trade that is also still yet to happen.

This is the worst trade melt, in the history of trade melts, maybe ever.
Terminator GIF

Brockman hasn’t kicked a goal for us yet, Long doesn’t kick many and Ryan’s output is down. Next year may be Cripps’ last, Dewar is kicking a goal or two a game although he may be more useful further upfield.

Brockman, Long, Ryan and Dewar seem to being used as part time midfielders so I think there could be a spot for Owies as a dedicated forward pocket who is a consistent goal kicker. Depends on cost of course like everything and as you say we have areas of more pressing need.

Brockman hasn’t kicked a goal for us yet, Long doesn’t kick many and Ryan’s output is down. Next year may be Cripps’ last, Dewar is kicking a goal or two a game although he may be more useful further upfield.

Brockman, Long, Ryan and Dewar seem to being used as part time midfielders so I think there could be a spot for Owies as a dedicated forward pocket who is a consistent goal kicker. Depends on cost of course like everything and as you say we have areas of more pressing need.

Broadly agree with your post though

Whats brockmans contract like? If he’s out of contract he really needs that “breakout” season after what he dished up this year and after the incident

Footywire has him listed as out of contract next year after previously showing him uncontracted at the end of this year

Truth is, he signed on a 3 year deal when joining last year which ends in 2026

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding Draper, while I like him as a prospect, Matt Clarke pretty much eluded to pick 3 being a Victorian.

Specifically mentioned 'Victorian' talent when talking about those in consideration for pick 3.

Don't be surprised if we pick either one of Langford, FOS, Jagga or Smillie at 3.

Draper is very unlikely at this stage.

Most sides are playing 3-4 of these types through there fwd line every week and some 5 on occasions. We were the only club trying to play 4 tall fwds. Pretty much summed up our list position and game plans of late. We are absolutely under done in this position but like the rest of our list it’s a mess. Compare that group to the fwd lines some of the finalists are rolling out.

Cripps well past his prime and in the twilight of his career. Has the odd good game still with a few very average to poor ones in between.

Ryan is now Ryan2.0, he’s not the Ryan we saw pre hamstring issues. His game is a long way off the lofty heights of his AA year.

Brockman looks a bust. Can’t get his personal life right and can’t get a kick either. Tough position for a professional footballer.

Petrucelle, lol played like 6 good games in 90 odd.

Long is 20 games in and we still aren’t sure how good he will actually be. Hopefully he’s one we can bank on for the future.

Dewar much the same and probably less likely than Long to make it but there’s always hope i guess.

So especially if there’s an injury or two to this group who are the 3-4 quality players we will have on the field from 2025-27 under a new coach that wont be foolish enough to try and play 4 talls? It looks bloody thin when Cripps retires and there’s an injury or two. Who are the 20+ goal kickers a year that can also lay defensive pressure?

Yes we need better mids and yes we need better defenders but guess what we also need better fwds, particularly of this type.

The thought of Owies in our side makes me want to puke. I could've kicked 25 goals in Carlton's forward line this year.
Agreed I don't reckon that many have watched him play, he was a benefactor of some a great tall fwd line and lack of alternatives as a small fwd . The fact Carlton aren't fussed to lose him says it all. He is dead set avg and highly prone to brain fades. Hard pass for me.

Agreed I don't reckon that many have watched him play, he was a benefactor of some a great tall fwd line and lack of alternatives as a small fwd . The fact Carlton aren't fussed to lose him says it all. He is dead set avg and highly prone to brain fades. Hard pass for me.

The potential premiers in Brisbane are also talking to him so they obviously see a role for him there

Good lord.

Half a dozen pages of absolute bedwetting echo chamber over; :loudspeaker:

• A trade we haven't done yet
  • Which includes a pick we don't have
  • Stemming from a trade that is also still yet to happen.

This is the worst trade melt, in the history of trade melts, maybe ever.
Meh Eagles fans have a right to be pessimistic tbh. A good pre melt softens the blow.

Plus the only thing more annoying is people melting over people melting.

Melting over melting…

IMG_4816.jpeg

Owies at the right price would be a good get. Kicked 30 odd and is in the age bracket we need. Cripps nearly done leaving with ryan as the only senior small. Long coming back via a knee injury and dewar only promise at this stage. I honestly think Brockman is tracking in that SPS direction
Sub a few names around and this exact post could have been written about our boy Zac Langdon a few years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back