List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no moneyball defenders on the market this year, its all typical inside mids like Parfitt or DevRob who I cant see being useful as a defender

I dont know why it would necessarily be shuffling of priorities to get defenders, id have thought it would be a very obvious and urgent need.
Our backline is servicable because we have Gov and we did have TB for most of the year. HEdwards is a downgrade on TB, while being servicable, but we havent seen anything from Bazzo to indicate he can fill Govs shoes as the 2nd KPD. I dont think we can get away with 2 very average KPDs if we want to compete in finals

We need to start to play a modern gamestyle, we dont currently have the outside players to do so, we dont have the defenders to do so.
We have a midfield with no depth currently, but we can make a competent midfield with cheap trade ins.
We have nothing in the backline at all. We barely even have a defender in the WAFL, we are probably keeping Witherden because hes literally the only non tall defender on the list who is outside our projected best 22, thats IF you put Maric into the backline full time.
The new coach needs something to work with.

We need wings and half backs with pace and kicking skills, we cant play footy without them. There is way too much focus from fans on the midfield imo.
Draft a couple of wing/half back types, and then get another A-grade mid next year. 2-3 A-grade mids is all a team needs, and theyre the quickest to come online too after being drafted.
Hough is outstanding
Ginbey looks a natural HBF
Captain Duggan
McGovern
Basso
Edwards
If we draft a couple of mids Yeo can spend more time on the HBF
We’ve hardly got nothing down back
Our focus should be on addressing the midfield 1st so that our backline isn’t under enormous pressure for 3/4’s of the game.

Next year if we can draft

Rodriguez
Swadling
Banfield

Would be very happy two wingman in Banfield and Swadling a area of need

And Rodriguez is just sensational, he suits the modern game so well

Next year if we can draft

Rodriguez
Swadling
Banfield

Would be very happy two wingman in Banfield and Swadling a area of need

And Rodriguez is just sensational, he suits the modern game so well

What I like most about him is that he both makes good decisions and his foot skills are super accurate.

His link up play is something thats very under ratted, and it' a facet of the modern game that WC are poor at, we just go the "bomb it long option", as our stock standard go to mode of delivery, into attack.....it does my head in and is a poor indictment of our coaches.

What I like most about him is that he both makes good decisions and his foot skills are super accurate.

His link up play is something thats very under ratted, and it' a facet of the modern game that WC are poor at, we just go the "bomb it long option", as our stock standard go to mode of delivery, into attack.....it does my head in and is a poor indictment of our coaches.
He brings others into the game and his decision making is elite
He seems to see the game quicker than others giving that half a sec to make better decisions

I’m not a big fan. Good in the air but fumbles a lot, wasn’t overly impressive at the champs going up a level. Also there’s no standout KPFs he’s had to play on. Don’t want to comment too much on the game here I saw live vs WA as the ground was in such shocking nick.

Is there something you’re seeing live that isn’t evident on TV/streaming?
Yeah that was a shocking day weather wise. I don't think he's been elite, but very good and I thought he was solid through the champs.
He strikes me as a player who is still improving and just get better and better at AFL level.

Hough is outstanding
Ginbey looks a natural HBF
Captain Duggan
McGovern
Basso
Edwards
If we draft a couple of mids Yeo can spend more time on the HBF
We’ve hardly got nothing down back
Our focus should be on addressing the midfield 1st so that our backline isn’t under enormous pressure for 3/4’s of the game.
We have a guy who can lockdown smalls, we have a 1 guy who could maybe be a B+ to A-grade HBF, and then some guys who are probably just average. Yeo will be needed in the middle in 2025 regardless of who we trade in or draft so cant count him. Lucky we still have Gov or we would be in a pretty dire situation somewhat close to resembling Norths backline this year

Guys like Parfitt or Dev can fix to some extent that leakage from the midfield. We have had 0 defensive mids, everybody wants to win a clearance but nobody wants to stop the opposition walking out the back of a stoppage and doing what they like. Just cant be running a midfield like that when we cant win a hitout.

We do not need a midfield full of top 10 picks, I dont know why people think this is the case.

We need outside ball users and a Gov replacement. Id put everything on hold to find these players.

There are no moneyball defenders on the market this year, its all typical inside mids like Parfitt or DevRob who I cant see being useful as a defender

I dont know why it would necessarily be shuffling of priorities to get defenders, id have thought it would be a very obvious and urgent need.
Our backline is servicable because we have Gov and we did have TB for most of the year. HEdwards is a downgrade on TB, while being servicable, but we havent seen anything from Bazzo to indicate he can fill Govs shoes as the 2nd KPD. I dont think we can get away with 2 very average KPDs if we want to compete in finals

We need to start to play a modern gamestyle, we dont currently have the outside players to do so, we dont have the defenders to do so.
We have a midfield with no depth currently, but we can make a competent midfield with cheap trade ins.
We have nothing in the backline at all. We barely even have a defender in the WAFL, we are probably keeping Witherden because hes literally the only non tall defender on the list who is outside our projected best 22, thats IF you put Maric into the backline full time.
The new coach needs something to work with.

We need wings and half backs with pace and kicking skills, we cant play footy without them. There is way too much focus from fans on the midfield imo.
Draft a couple of wing/half back types, and then get another A-grade mid next year. 2-3 A-grade mids is all a team needs, and theyre the quickest to come online too after being drafted.

Cumming, Perryman, Rioli, Houston, Lukosius, Noble are all seeking trades or FA moves.

It’s about a third of all current confirmed player movement tied up in either running half backs or decent kicks. Then add Battle and TB as key defenders and it would be close to half of the current movement of players likely to be defenders.

I get there are none we are top of the queue for, but I think most years there are plenty of these types available (and they are all easier to get than an elite mid).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He brings others into the game and his decision making is elite
He seems to see the game quicker than others giving that half a sec to make better decisions

Indeed, he is what I term a link up player, he is the exact sort of player Sydney place high priority on and draft with regularity, thats why their team ball movement is elite and can work its way through and around both zone and wall defences.
Ball control and ball protection are critical and its something WC don't do well.

You are spot on, he does bring others into the game and thats an under valued footballing trait.

We haven't had a decent link up player since Jack Redden retired.

Indeed, he is what I term a link up player, he is the exact sort of player Sydney place high priority on and draft with regularity, thats why their team ball movement is elite and can work its way through and around both zone and wall defences.
Ball control and ball protection are critical and its something WC don't do well.

You are spot on, he does bring others into the game and thats an under valued footballing trait.

We haven't had a decent link up player since Jack Redden retired.
Yea i dont want Warner next year unless he would come to us through the PSD
WA talent next year is so exciting that hawks future first will be awesome to have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that was a shocking day weather wise. I don't think he's been elite, but very good and I thought he was solid through the champs.
He strikes me as a player who is still improving and just get better and better at AFL level.

Both the Whitlock boys remind me of a baby giraffe , the way way they move around in such an ungainly manner.

baby-giraffe-trying-to-walk.gif

Given their lack of coordination, particularly below their knees, they look lesser players than they actually are.

They will improve markedly ONCE they fully grow into their bodies.

And there in lies the dilemma with drafting them, as they are going to need at least four years in the system to grow into their bodies.

They are also going to need to be well coached.

Both the Whitlock boys remind me of a baby giraffe , the way way they move around in such an ungainly manner.

View attachment 2124431

Given their lack of coordination, particularly below their knees, they look lesser players than they actually are.

They will improve markedly ONCE they fully grow into their bodies.

And there in lies the dilemma with drafting them, as they are going to need at least four years in the system to grow into their bodies.

They are also going to need to be well coached.
Well said. Hard pass from me, particularly as they are going to be pushing 1R.

Would rather take HOF/Mraz* around 30 or Dennis/Barrat with a 3/4R.

Cumming, Perryman, Rioli, Houston, Lukosius, Noble are all seeking trades or FA moves.
How many of these guys are actually available to us?
Is it 0?
It’s about a third of all current confirmed player movement tied up in either running half backs or decent kicks. Then add Battle and TB as key defenders and it would be close to half of the current movement of players likely to be defenders.
We arent trading for TB, and battle isnt available to us either

If theyre not available to us then theyre not available. They may as well not exist. There are mids who are gettable but no defenders.
I get there are none we are top of the queue for, but I think most years there are plenty of these types available (and they are all easier to get than an elite mid).
We dont need a midfield full of elite mids. How many teams have 4 elite mids in the team?
Last year the Pies had 2 A-graders + role players.
2022 Geelong has Danger + role players
2021 Dees had Trac and Oliver + role players
2017, 2019, 2020 Tigers had Dusty and a midfield full of B graders
2018 we had Shuey and Yeo plus role players

If we draft a mid next year who we should at least get close to A-grade level, then thats 2 including Harley. Best case its 3 with Hewett, worst case its 1 truly A-grade plus some very solid B+ players.
Fits right in with the premiership teams of the last 7 years that ive listed.

1. We can either have a competent midfield and competent outside players for 2025, with another top pick mid coming for 2026
2. We can have a similar midfield to this year again(Yeo/Kelly + kids) along with very few outside players, same as this year. Then we can probably look to draft more outside players like im suggesting we do in this draft.

Essentially the only difference is the 2025 season is far less stable
No-brainer for me

I dont think the difference in ability is that much between Travaglia and Draper who everyone is so keen on for example.
Id argue Travaglia fits our list needs more than Draper.
For a couple of things Travaglia is a far better mark and much more defensively minded than Draper.
I'd hazard a guess that Travaglia has a bigger tank than Draper as well. Speaking to him the other day he's aiming to break the 6 minute 2km time trial at the Combine testing.

It's imperative that our f2 doesn't get absorbed in the barass deal because we need it for next year, potentially

No it isnt.

That is the exact reason why we should trade our future 2nd.

Get 12 months benefit and we trade in later picks in 2025 to pay for any later academy kids. Are there any top 10 rated kids? Not that Ive heard of. Maybe a late teens or early 20's bid will come in. After a discount a 3rd rounder is enough to cover the points.

No it isnt.

That is the exact reason why we should trade our future 2nd.

Get 12 months benefit and we trade in later picks in 2025 to pay for any later academy kids. Are there any top 10 rated kids? Not that Ive heard of. Maybe a late teens or early 20's bid will come in. After a discount a 3rd rounder is enough to cover the points.
3rd and 4th Round pick index points values are useless next year mate. Afl released its proposed changes the other day

3rd and 4th Round pick index points values are useless next year mate. Afl released its proposed changes the other day
3rd rounders are still worth points. If you're handing over your F2 in the Barras trade, you want Hawks F3 back at a minimum.

Especially if your boys are rated a little way back, behind some of the other nga or father son kids. Those third rounders will start coming in as other teams have to still use multiple picks to match bids on their kids.

3rd rounders are still worth points. If you're handing over your F2 in the Barras trade, you want Hawks F3 back at a minimum.

Especially if your boys are rated a little way back, behind some of the other nga or father son kids. Those third rounders will start coming in as other teams have to still use multiple picks to match bids on their kids.
Games about to kickoff mate, what are you doing worrying about points

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back