List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
If my team just won a flag, I can assure you I would not be on an oppo board asking about the status of a fringe player from a third club.

Go get pissed mate, surely!

He’s probably thinking of Paul Curtis the goal kicker ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Isn’t next year’s draft historically compromised? 30 pick first round areas?
AFL needs to decide if they're doing zones/academies or the draft. Next year sounds like a zones draft, but if you're a club that doesn't have the access, you're essentially skipping a draft. Sounds like we might be lucky and have some father sons/NGA but it still sucks.

I'd like to keep father son for the romanticism but I think all academies should be fked right off. AFL can pull their finger out and manage the community development - they certainly appear to have enough staff on the books to do it.

Potentially-departing Richmond pair Liam Baker and Jack Graham are said to be holding off on nominating their clubs of choice until the Eagles decide on their new coach. Lets get a new coach after the draft so they f**k off.

If my team just won a flag, I can assure you I would not be on an oppo board asking about the status of a fringe player from a third club.

Go get pissed mate, surely!
I'm at home with the family. Drank to much when I was younger, not really a drinker now.

04:13 left in the 4th quarter on the first rewatch.

Isn’t next year’s draft historically compromised? 30 pick first round areas?

Yes its going to be heavily compromised ( sorry Laura :handpointup: - I meant complexed ) as there are lots of academy kids that will be rated highly.

However we ourselves will be a beneficiary with a couple of NGA kids and a Father /Son pick, not saying they are first rounders, but AFL worthy none the less.

What being able to have access to NGA/ Academy/ FS kids does, is that it allows you to shape your draft as to what positional needs you can cover with matching bids, when they come.

So if you are weighing up a KPP V a small forward and you know you can take the small forward latter as a NGA kid, that helps you make your decision as to who to take with the earlier pick, by way of example.

Potentially-departing Richmond pair Liam Baker and Jack Graham are said to be holding off on nominating their clubs of choice until the Eagles decide on their new coach. Lets get a new coach after the draft so they f**k off.
Just don't pick the ex Richmond one, mcwalter and we will be sweet. Freo bound!!

Give a few years notice, and then wrap up father son I reckon.

They never will, keeps the community local kickabout element they try to promote while taking in a billion tax free dollars every year as a ‘premium entertainment product’, but they’ll never work out how to make teams pay a fair price so just make the move.

1-18 uncompromised reverse order draft. If you want shenanigans, start them from Pick 19.

“Oh but what if Chris Judd’s kid…”

Whatever. Let him win 10 Brownlows at Melbourne. It’s better for the health of the league, who cares how it could benefit us.

The imbalance is bad for everyone, just get it sorted and give everyone five years notice so that any teenagers showing promise and possibly factoring into plans still get where they’re going. If any of the Under 10s are trending well for our club, call it bad luck and move on.

I don't have a problem with father/son. Luck of the draw although it should cost more than this stupid points system

The access to the northern academies is the real unfair situation imo

3, 13 and 23 for 6, 9, 21 and regrettably the midget

F2 for GWS 34 and 49

Rotham, 24, 64 for 28 and F3 (ESS)

6-Travaglia
9-Lindsay
21-Hynes
28-O’Farrell
34-Mraz
49-Johnson
59-Champion match

3 mids, 2 KPD, 1 HBF, 1 FWD
Next year bring in best mids available with R1 and Hawks R1 should it eventuate. Or the Chad. The top end miss this year aren’t as good as last year or as next year projects.
Where does 24 and 64 come from?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m close to Ep2018 pessimistic levels tonight so I fully expect us next year to get royally screwed with coughing up for Banfield and Walley. They’ll have bumper years and any draft capitol we have will be swallowed up as a result. Just when we have exciting prospects that might allow us to get a free leg up the AFL go and ****ing change all the rules thanks to the pillaging of the northern clubs over the past few years.

We’ll also get knocked back for any priority assistance packages from the AFL, we’ll trade pick 13 for Baker and a second round pick that will be in the bloody 30’s come draft night but that’s only after we take 13 and a future second that will be in the 40’s for Barrass.

Am I missing anything?

Hmmm let’s say Garcia goes to Port, Carroll stays at the Blues, Dev picks a VIC club over us, Peatling stays at GWS and we give Graham a five year deal.

Oh yeah and we pay half of Darlings salary for pick 62 but Champion is bid on early in the third round thus consuming two later picks.

This is the darkest timeline, my work here is done.

Last edited:
Ah OK that's very clever kudos
Just need to try and exploit every single advantage we can. Leave Graham at the Tigers, use Phil’s connections at Essendon and Matty Rosa. Could also “hide” the pick for them and live trade it on draft night after a Kako bid. Same with the GWS picks if there’s a player they like and we can benefit from it.

Warner has to be gettable after this grand final loss. Second time Sydney's been smashed and uncompetitive. I don't want another 18 year old in the middle with Harley and Yeo. Time to get on the front foot, trade pick 3 and extras and pay the price for Warner and become a destination club again for the best WA talent. We've been shithouse for long enough and are now in the same situation as Adelaide, getting shunned in trade talks.

Warner has to be gettable after this grand final loss. Second time Sydney's been smashed and uncompetitive. I don't want another 18 year old in the middle with Harley and Yeo. Time to get on the front foot, trade pick 3 and extras and pay the price for Warner and become a destination club again for the best WA talent. We've been shithouse for long enough and are now in the same situation as Adelaide, getting shunned in trade talks.
Here here !!

I’m close to Ep2018 pessimistic levels tonight so I fully expect us next year to get royally screwed with coughing up for Banfield and Walley. They’ll have bumper years and any draft capitol we have will be swallowed up as a result. Just when we have exciting prospects that might allow us to get a free leg up the AFL go and ****ing change all the rules thanks to the pillaging of the northern clubs over the past few years.

We’ll also get knocked back for any priority assistance packages from the AFL, we’ll trade pick 13 for Baker and a second round pick that will be in the bloody 30’s come draft night but that’s only after we take 13 and a future second that will be in the 40’s for Barrass.

Am I missing anything?

Hmmm let’s say Garcia goes to Port, Carroll stays at the Blues, Dev picks a VIC club over us, Peatling stays at GWS and we give Graham a five year deal.

Oh yeah and we pay half of Darlings salary for pick 62 but Champion is bid on early in the third round thus consuming two later picks.

1727526465391.png

How many top picks do you think we should spend on midfielders? Or how many A-grade mids do you consider necessary to contend?
When do we stop using our first pick on midfielders?
At least this year and maybe next year. It will depend on Hewett and Ginbey.

2021 draft - Chesser is not a midfielder and at best looks like he might make it as a hbf

2022 draft - Ginbey is possibly a midfielder. He had a great first year but you could tell he was learning. Great spark when moved to hbf and he can transfer that to a midfield role, he makes it.
Hewett is a midfielder but will he get on the park?
Burgiel I had hoped to be a midfielder but after 2 years I am left unsure whether he gets a new contract for 2025

2023 draft - Harley is great but is best (like Dusty) when used in bursts.
Hall by all reports was topping it in preseason then the injury. I have hope but we need to see it in a sustained way (even if it is wafl.

Hutchinson in the msd offered hope in his half at the cattery but pretty small sample size

Get one of the top 7 mids this year at a minimum and see how 2025 pans out. Maybe there is a second one we get at 13 or 23 and combined others above prove their midfield worth

The Pieman left us like old mother Hubbard. The cupboard feels bare

Am I missing anything?

Darkest timeline will be seeing Richmond get a whole swag of top 30 picks (in this so called super draft) trading out their still decent players knowing full well they need to rebuild, and as a result they equal or surpass our current rebuild in a single draft.

Am I missing anything?

You're pessimistic because we've got talent coming through which we can select next year?
It's been ages before we had anyone remotely good we could claim pre-draft.
Don't think anyone would've expected Waterman to do what he's done this year when we drafted him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back