List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Cameron Ling on ABC radio not long ago.

He predicted Dockers top 4 next year esp if Bolton is picked up by them and has some fire to perform.

He also said they should go and get Baker too.

Hope he is right on Bolton & Baker to Dockers, less so on them being top 4.

100%. Those two should be top of the list along with a big offer for TDK (FA). Farrell (FA) and Z Reid* (OOC) would be the other two I’d target.

If we are having a swing at TDK we should absolutely have a shot at LDU also. I doubt he leaves, but pitching to some of these guys as their 1 chance to make a choice to play with Harley may turn a couple of heads..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Look I think Starcevich is a great player but he really gives us nothing we don't already have. Hough is the guy who can play smaller and with another couple of preseasons also taller than he is. Like Starcevich he's a decent kick but not line breaking or creative with it.

Starcevich is someone I wanted the club to draft when I was involved with footy but not in a professional capacity. I've seen him all the way through. He's a really good player but not what the club needs. TBH it's pretty much the only role on field we have covered since the club started of the rebuild.

TDK is average imo. Worth picking up as a free agent but not overpaying for.

Farrell is a good player and potentially useful but not spectacular.

Zach Reid needs to get his body right but if he does he would be a player of interest to me.

Also TBH McVee is good but not a huge upgrade on what the club has.

If the club is looking at defence we need 1 genuine future high level key defender and 2 elitely skilled quarterback types. You aren't looking for the complete single player in one as one highly skilled defender can be shut down, two, not so much. So you can pick them up a little cheaper in general but one needs to be able to kick 60 metres, still be very skilled and good defensively. The other you don't worry so much about defensive capabilities but offensively they need to have truly elite vision and be surgical with their kicking. You don't need Lewis Jetta here (some of his skill work from D50 is the best i've seen in the modern game) with the depth and penetration of the kick but the mid range kicks (30-40) are super important. They have to be able to perform them with the vision and penetration like Jetta could do over 50-60m and that player needs to be able to run and carry as well. Again because they have deficiencies they are slightly cheaper players to draft.

Make no mistake however most clubs recognise this as the way forward so when I say cheaper I no longer mean pick up your half backs and outside players with picks in the 30's. It just means depending on the draft and number of those types they are available in that next grouping back. If one is truly elite as a junior then i'd have no issue spending a top 3 pick on one, but generally they tend to go between pick 7-20.

Reading through the thread recently I like how people are like 'let's get a role player from this team, or a role player from that team'..can we get a god damn competently great player first?

We're in this position to begin with because 90% of our team are role players and not very good ones

One thing about last 2 GFs that is worrying for us is that its the mid sized/small forwards that do the damage at the MCG. Not many examples in recent times of a FF. Its constantly been the likes of Lohman, Stengle, Hill who have done the job on the day. Not the greatest sign when your best thing going for you is your tall FFs
We have them, just need them fit and firing.

Brockman better hurry up and perform
Ryan needs a huge preseason for fitness.
Long should be fine to do a whole preseason
Cripps needs to check his heart to see if it has a beat.
Dewar needs another big preaseon
Champion coming in unknown

Hopefully the revolving gun mids of hewett, reid, pick 3, berry? also contribute.

Don't underestimate how the swans 3 big forwards are just ordinary. And that the swans got smashed on the inside hard ball gets and lack of contest. Every GF is won in the contest. Mids and ball users are still our biggest needs.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Look I think Starcevich is a great player but he really gives us nothing we don't already have. Hough is the guy who can play smaller and with another couple of preseasons also taller than he is. Like Starcevich he's a decent kick but not line breaking or creative with it.

Starcevich is someone I wanted the club to draft when I was involved with footy but not in a professional capacity. I've seen him all the way through. He's a really good player but not what the club needs. TBH it's pretty much the only role on field we have covered since the club started of the rebuild.

TDK is average imo. Worth picking up as a free agent but not overpaying for.

Farrell is a good player and potentially useful but not spectacular.

Zach Reid needs to get his body right but if he does he would be a player of interest to me.

Also TBH McVee is good but not a huge upgrade on what the club has.

If the club is looking at defence we need 1 genuine future high level key defender and 2 elitely skilled quarterback types. You aren't looking for the complete single player in one as one highly skilled defender can be shut down, two, not so much. So you can pick them up a little cheaper in general but one needs to be able to kick 60 metres, still be very skilled and good defensively. The other you don't worry so much about defensive capabilities but offensively they need to have truly elite vision and be surgical with their kicking. You don't need Lewis Jetta here (some of his skill work from D50 is the best i've seen in the modern game) with the depth and penetration of the kick but the mid range kicks (30-40) are super important. They have to be able to perform them with the vision and penetration like Jetta could do over 50-60m and that player needs to be able to run and carry as well. Again because they have deficiencies they are slightly cheaper players to draft.

Make no mistake however most clubs recognise this as the way forward so when I say cheaper I no longer mean pick up your half backs and outside players with picks in the 30's. It just means depending on the draft and number of those types they are available in that next grouping back. If one is truly elite as a junior then i'd have no issue spending a top 3 pick on one, but generally they tend to go between pick 7-20.
How’s the cage rattling going? Any surprises incoming for trade week?

Reading through the thread recently I like how people are like 'let's get a role player from this team, or a role player from that team'..can we get a god damn competently great player first?

We're in this position to begin with because 90% of our team are role players and not very good ones
We can only get so many great players at a time(through the draft), and we are hardly a super attractive destination when we are near the bottom of the ladder.
I dunno what are suggesting tbh we have limited assets

Fred Rodriguez was super impressive as a bottom ager for WA at this years champs, and showed more of the same in the futures game. Super clean at ground level and damaging with his disposals combining dash, elite decision making and solid ball skills to slice through the opposition.

2 elitely skilled quarterback types. You aren't looking for the complete single player in one as one highly skilled defender can be shut down, two, not so much. So you can pick them up a little cheaper in general but one needs to be able to kick 60 metres, still be very skilled and good defensively. The other you don't worry so much about defensive capabilities but offensively they need to have truly elite vision and be surgical with their kicking.
With our picks the way they are have you not just described FOS (pick 3) if as you see him he doesn’t make it as a mid and Harrison Oliver (Pick 23)?

Fred Rodriguez was super impressive as a bottom ager for WA at this years champs, and showed more of the same in the futures game. Super clean at ground level and damaging with his disposals combining dash, elite decision making and solid ball skills to slice through the opposition.

I've had this question forever.
Is your flare essendon or some local team?
I appreciate the player vids, but all I ever see xD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The GF showed why want to draft a midfielder over a half back flanker in Toby.

The GF was won by the elite midfielders of Brisbane dominating. One of the best rebounding half backs in the game in the Lizzard had no influence. The best half back was a midfielder who transitioned back in Zorko.

If you can’t win the ball at the contest nothing else matters.

Draft Sid Draper or the best midfielder whoever it is. Yeo to half back more to extend his career.
To be fair though it is a lot easier to build a list when 2 of your starting mids were stars traded in and the rest are number 1 picks. They’ve nailed picks like Wilmot, Berry and Bailey but when your rotation mids are Ashcroft, Rayner and McCluggage it’s a fair bit easier

Reid and long are the only ones I’ve seen consistently in our team play on touch footy on the move with there hands. Brisbane were so clean yesterday in multiple chains Ashcroft and Neale created so much openings with slick hand passing. Can’t afford to be fumbling in tight these days I hope we prioritise midfielders with good movement and ability by hand
Luke Urquhart says hi 👋🏻 then. Is as good in tight and by hand as nearly anyone in the draft, just can’t kick.

With big Joe maybe retiring Brisbane should be the team looking at darling especially with hipwood supposedly having the dreaded OP .

Could lose both their tall forwards for next season in their window.

I'm sure darling fully paid for 1 year and Dev cash off their books would be worth a fair bit to them .

Not a sloth is he ?

Hip displacement that required surgery. It's had a major effect on his kicking but that is not the main worry. The main worry is that his body won't be able to stand up to AFL level football in the future. His kicking will get better and back to what it was (he was an average kick beforehand) but he likely takes 3-4 years unless you just want to ruin his body and even then it's a low chance of him playing more than 100 games before his body is shot.

As far as getting hands on the ball he is absolutely elite. His athletic testing is a huge who ****ing knows because with such a major hip issue at a young age it's hard to tell whether it was impacting before and there is no way he's actually completely over the injury and fully balanced yet.

He could be a later pick who becomes the best extractor and a decent user from this draft. A diamond in the rough as they say. Or he could genuinely go undrafted and nobody ever hears about him at higher levels again.

The GF showed why want to draft a midfielder over a half back flanker in Toby.

The GF was won by the elite midfielders of Brisbane dominating. One of the best rebounding half backs in the game in the Lizzard had no influence. The best half back was a midfielder who transitioned back in Zorko.

If you can’t win the ball at the contest nothing else matters.

Draft Sid Draper or the best midfielder whoever it is. Yeo to half back more to extend his career.
stallon will stick to his guns which is totally fine, and he highlights the important point that we have multiple areas of need.

But I agree with the consensus on here that it has to be a mid first. Even listening to our coaches during the year, when we got beaten badly they always talked about the midfield contest letting us down. Classy outside players can come later, they are useless if we can’t win at the contest. Prime Gaff wouldn’t have got a touch for us the last couple of years.

Build a competitive midfield first then add some outside class or half back flair. We simply don’t have enough support for Harley and too many question marks around our midfield mix going forward. Back line is dicey too but there is some promising signs with Ginbey, Hough and maybe Maric and Hedwards. Ideally get a guy like Busslinger in before Gov hangs them up.

If we genuinely don’t rate the top midfield picks this year compared to next, why not trade pick 3 into next year? Would Tigers take it and gift us pick 1 next year for Sharp? Seems counterintuitive to delay bringing in talent but maybe we can bolster enough with trade ins and milk another year of decent footy from our veterans before making deeper changes next year.

Or split 3 + 23 for 6 + 9 and trade one for an F1 and keep one this year along with 13?

Or just say **** **** it and throw everything at Chad then bring in the role players around him and Harley. Gotta show him some improvement and ease the load on him so he believes it’s worth staying long term.

I hope we draft at least one gun mid and address some other needs, but the reality is unless they are a freak like Harley/Daicos/Ashcroft, an 18 year old is unlikely to give us a significant boost over the next couple of years. And we will see decreased output from veterans (Gov/Yeo) who have stood up well for us recently.

So do we focus solely on the draft and build slowly but risk losing Harley or do we be more aggressive targeting some established 20-24 year olds and try and rise up the ladder while guys like Jake and Oscar are still in their prime? Maybe a mix of both but it’s a delicate balance with Tassie approaching.

To be fair though it is a lot easier to build a list when 2 of your starting mids were stars traded in and the rest are number 1 picks. They’ve nailed picks like Wilmot, Berry and Bailey but when your rotation mids are Ashcroft, Rayner and McCluggage it’s a fair bit easier

We don’t have the concessions they have, but if we can nail our 1st (plus more) this year then we are on the way to an elite midfield brigade (especially if Hewett gets his body right).

Way to go, but 2026 onwards I think we can look at trading for quality rather than just draft (happy to trade fringe assets for fringe players currently now, just need to try to avoid giving up early picks for the next 2 drafts).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Starcevich as a free agent should be a no brainer tbh, we should be heavily in to him.

As eaglevision suggested we should also look at Farrell, because again, he's a free agent and we don't need to use valuable draft picks.

Commentators on the ABC reckon one of the three interviewed will only be a senior assistant coach to Cox or Longmire ....
I don't think so .
No chance we're not that savy , devious .
Maybe to Longmire as a succession plan or maybe a Danny Daly if he only wants to do it short term (2years). Don’t think the Cox one would make sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back