List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

Im suggesting we have Harley, Yeo, Kelly, Hewett as our attacking mids, with Graham and Dev as the defensive roles. Hutch and baker as extra rotations from the best 22, and Hall starting the year in the WAFL. Theres enough there if Hall or Hutch come on enough as mids to move out Yeo and Kelly in 2025 to flanks to preserve them.

Dont need an A+ grade midfield, idk why people think this
Yeo is old.

Kelly getting that way too. Give it 3 years and they won't be around.

Hewett can't get on the park and may never play to anywhere near his potential, if at all. I'm no doctor but it doesn't sound positive.

Graham, Dev, Hutch, Baker, Ginbey, Hall or anyone else on our list are B/C graders through the middle.

You do need an A+ grade midfield with AA quality to win a flag unless your forward and backs are loaded with AA's. We have 2 and 1 is nearing the pension age.

We need another two primo midfielders with our first selections this year and next.

Hoping that one of the NGA's or FS coming through next year might be one, but they'd need to have a breakout year.

TLDR - take primo's.

Just to play devil's advocate here for a moment, given the consensus that this is a deep draft and that there's great value to be had into the 30s, is it possible we may actually be better off retaining 3 top 30 picks instead of just the 2?

i.e. which is actually the better hand in a supposedly deep draft? 3 & 13, or 3, 21 & 23. Normally I'd prefer to keep 13, but if this draft is as deep as purported, perhaps it may be a good move after all?

I don't know the draft well enough to know the answer, but fingers crossed the club does, and if they do choose to trade 13 for Baker & 21, it's because they think 21 & 23 are more valuable than 13 alone.

I choose to ignore any reports of Baker for 13 alone, and will melt accordingly if that were to occur.

The murmurs around Warner were he’d leave if the Swans won wasn’t it? Quietly confident that’s a next year thing and why we’re pushing for an F1 in the Barrass deal.

Have accepted the Baker deal and as long as we retain pick 3 for a top mid and get 21 back I think it’s not a disaster. It’s a deep draft and there’ll be some good options slide through in the 20’s, then have a ping at Davis/Dennis/Boxshall types later.

Eagles would take him right now if he agreed and the Swans did.

The murmurs around Warner were he’d leave if the Swans won wasn’t it?

The murmurs were Will Schofield's Got a Feeling in His Waters. Some of his predictions are pushing podcast conspiracy theory made-up level. And for the record I like the guy.

Yeo is old.

Kelly getting that way too. Give it 3 years and they won't be around.
Thats fine, Harley and Hewett + our 2025 1st pick will develop and take over eventually. Warner is also an option and we have depth to cover
Hewett can't get on the park and may never play to anywhere near his potential, if at all. I'm no doctor but it doesn't sound positive.
I think youre being needlessly negative. Hes not the first to have this injury and they all come back fine after. Finn Callaghan at GWS is a good recent example, looks everything like living up to his pick 3 potential
Graham, Dev, Hutch, Baker, Ginbey, Hall or anyone else on our list are B/C graders through the middle.
This is the quality of guys the Pies and the Cats had running through the middle alongside Danger/Daicos. They dont have to be long term options, we are years away from a premiership
You do need an A+ grade midfield with AA quality to win a flag unless your forward and backs are loaded with AA's. We have 2 and 1 is nearing the pension age.
You clearly dont as the Pies and Cats have proven in 2 of the last 3 years. Richmond and west coast literally did it in 2017-2020 4 times in a row too.
We need another two primo midfielders with our first selections this year and next.
Disagree
Hoping that one of the NGA's or FS coming through next year might be one, but they'd need to have a breakout year.

TLDR - take primo's.

Just to play devil's advocate here for a moment, given the consensus that this is a deep draft and that there's great value to be had into the 30s, is it possible we may actually be better off retaining 3 top 30 picks instead of just the 2?

i.e. which is actually the better hand in a supposedly deep draft? 3 & 13, or 3, 21 & 23. Normally I'd prefer to keep 13, but if this draft is as deep as purported, perhaps it may be a good move after all?

I don't know the draft well enough to know the answer, but fingers crossed the club does, and if they do choose to trade 13 for Baker & 21, it's because they think 21 & 23 are more valuable than 13 alone.

I choose to ignore any reports of Baker for 13 alone, and will melt accordingly if that were to occur.
I've wondered the same thing. If we were open to giving up pick 13 it would mean we don't rate anyone in that part of the board. Given we need a KPD or two and a ruck in the next couple of years, it makes sense to get mid-draft picks as much as high-end picks, potentially more so as we have a lot of players that can rotate through the midfield already with at least two more top 5 picks to walk through the door.

Honestly yes it would be better to take 3 top 30 picks

Pick 13 will get us a 200 game player
I mean Darcy Wilson was drafted at 18 this year and is a sensational player
that's the type of talent we will miss out on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll say one thing about Baker, I'd rather have him leading the midfield than that fraudster Kelly.

Atleast we know that Baker will give it his all week in week out. And set good standards.

Tim Telly will only show up for a game or two, collect his paycheck, and then vanish for rest of the year.

I honestly don't see an issue with 13 being part of the deal with Baker, provided we get a couple of useful picks back.

Eg. 13+F4 for Baker+21+29 would be well in our favour but still hits the criterea of 13 being the starting point.

Its a deep draft, we may as well take a few picks rather than just 13. We'll still have pick 3 we can use on an elite midfield talent, or split it for a Travaglia and Lindsay type combo.

Stop melting boys.

I honestly don't see an issue with 13 being part of the deal with Baker, provided we get a couple of useful picks back.

Eg. 13+F4 for Baker+21+29 would be well in our favour but still hits the criterea of 13 being the starting point.

Its a deep draft, we may as well take a few picks rather than just 13. We'll still have pick 3 we can use on an elite midfield talent, or split it for a Travaglia and Lindsay type combo.

Stop melting boys.

Lol, of course we wouldn’t mind that but Richmond are not doing that.

Got to say I’m a wee bit nervous, particularly about the prospects of trading 13 for baker.

The following seems like a really good recipe for building a middling team:

1. Delay rebuild as long as possible under the guise of being in a premiership window until your stars no longer have currency
2. Completely whiff on two 2R picks in the first year of your rebuild.
3. Pay the premium of an additional 3R pick for a late second rounder when comparable talent is available in the second year of your rebuild.
4. Use a premium pick in a deep draft on a player likely to age out of his peak in 2-3 years in the third year of your rebuild.
5. Trade in a seemingly elite player from a strong team for top market price that will have a much harder task of performing to current levels.
6. Do all of this immediately before another expansion team enters the comp essentially rendering the draft defunct for all those teams that aren’t in Sydney, Queensland or Tasmania.

This neglects my concerns about Chesser but also my optimism regarding Long, Jilliams and hutchintingson at bargain value with that said I think the above course of action places an incredibly large burden to find and develop strong players with your 2nd and 3rd round picks which we haven’t been great at.

Last edited:
Geelong 2022 and Pies 2023 are 2 great examples of sides without A+ midfields winning by having a good spread of talent all over the ground. They are the sides we should look to emulate imo

Both coincidentally beat sides who people regard as having those A+ midfields in those grand finals, Swans and Lions
Geelong had Dangerfield, Selwood, Cam Guthrie, Isaac Smith and Duncan.

Collingwood had Daicos, De Goey, Pendlebury, Mitchell, Sidebottom and Crisp.

Both excellent midfields. Plenty of A graders there.

We have a very large carrot in front of Warner but Sydney need to save us from ourselves and say off limits this year.

Get any many top 40 kids we can this draft. Hit up Warner next year.

We have to use at least 2 top 20 (one top 5) picks and hopefully one or two in the 20s.

F2 for Baker, help Richmond get better compo for the other bloke.
One of Garcia or Dev, either or both would help us.
The problem is his value goes up another level next year. I'm not saying he will win the Brownlow, but he poled very well this year and will again. My biggest fear was he was going to win the norm smith.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geelong had Dangerfield, Selwood, Cam Guthrie, Isaac Smith and Duncan.

Collingwood had Daicos, De Goey, Pendlebury, Mitchell, Sidebottom and Crisp.

Both excellent midfields. Plenty of A graders there.
Selwood who was on his last legs and was playing the midfield bench rotation. Guthrie was never an A-grader. Duncan and Smith were good but probably B+ guys too
JDG ill give you, Pendlebury role player by this point, Mitchell was tagging and well past his brownlow winning prime, Sidebottom and Crisp definitely were NOT at an A-grade level last year.

1 A-grader at the Cats, 2 at the Pies.

Not sure what I like more, that poster who talks about Chesser every two seconds, or the poster dreaming of a C Grade premiership midfield.

It's probably related actually.
Dreaming of emulating Collingwood and Geelong the perennial top 4/finals contenders who both won a premiership in the last 3 years without an outstanding midfield?

It'll be baker and pick 16( Freo Bolton Pick)... for pick 13.. or something like that...

No need for all the hysteria... We aren't going to chips in for baker... Although he will be a very good player for us... High intensity and workrate... Someone we can use to plug holes

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back