List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Going after Warner next year we are probably not going to get a chance at Fred Rodriguez, Greeves, or Dyson Sharp.

What’s everyone’s opinion on this ?

I'd rather go for one of those kids and cross my fingers that they could be the next Chad Warner.

Warner rumours flairing up. Woweee. Sydney board said Dockers board said Warner to wce.

Sydney board coming around to trading Warner after GF loss
Ralphy mentioned during On the Couch that Warner and his girlfriend want to go back to Perth but will stick it out until his contract is up next year. Both teams in WA are aware of it

Geelong 2022 and Pies 2023 are 2 great examples of sides without A+ midfields winning by having a good spread of talent all over the ground. They are the sides we should look to emulate imo

Both coincidentally beat sides who people regard as having those A+ midfields in those grand finals, Swans and Lions
Geelong: Joel Selwood, Isaac Smith, Mark blicavs, Patrick Dangerfield, Rhys Stanley

Collingwood: Nick daicos, side bottom, Pendlebury, Josh daicos, hoskin Elliot, degoey.

None of those are a+ are they.
Lol

Will be interesting to see if a Western Australian in NSW about to come out of contract will generate more stories than a Victorian in WA under contract.

Doubtful

Geelong: Joel Selwood, Isaac Smith, Mark blicavs, Patrick Dangerfield, Rhys Stanley

Collingwood: Nick daicos, side bottom, Pendlebury, Josh daicos, hoskin Elliot, degoey.

Lol
Danger, Daicos, and then JDG at a stretch were A+. You are confusing those blokes in 2022/2023 and those blokes in 2011

Did Warner improve his trade value on the weekend?

That game demonstrated what midfield mix you need. And Warner had little impact.
Grundy was very poor in the ruck . The amount of times he did the flick behind for one of neale or ashcroft to shark it for a clean take away was staggering.

They had obviously identified it as a tap he likes to do but he just kept doing it with the same results

What a moron

Lol
We talking 2022 and 2023? Probably only N Daicos and maybe Danger were at that level imo. Some big names there, but a lot on the decline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy was very poor in the ruck . The amount of times he did the flick behind for one of neale or ashcroft to shark it for a clean take away was staggering.

They had obviously identified it as a tap he likes to do but he just kept doing it with the same results

What a moron

Shows they did some serious homework. And implemented it.

Neale, Zorko, Dunkley experience and smarts. Midfield coach earned their bonus.:thumbsu:

Danger, Daicos, and then JDG at a stretch were A+. You are confusing those blokes in 2022/2023 and those blokes in 2011
I'm not confusing anyone with anything.

You are making ridiculous claims about sides not needing elite midfielders to win flags but only have elite defenders.

Its utter garbage and saying none of Collingwood's or Geelong's mids are elite is bullshit

You don't win flags without elite midfielders, call them a or a+ or whatever you want.

I can guarantee you we don't win 2018 flag without Shuey, Yeo, Cripps and masten.
Add in sheed and redden and that's an elite midfield.

You don't win flags with tom swift and Kobe Stevens in the guts.

You're beating this drum and have been for a week and its utter garbage otherwise the eagles would have split pick 1 and taken 3 and 18 off north and settled for whoever they got instead of an elite reid.

Name a premiership team without elite mids in the last 40 years. Collingwood and Geelong clearly had elite mids so you're dead wrong about those.

Edit: Ill even go so far as to say if either of those 2 sides midfields were in our team this year we would have made the 8.

Last edited:
We talking 2022 and 2023? Probably only N Daicos and maybe Danger were at that level imo. Some big names there, but a lot on the decline

People forget how Duncan's and blicavs and smiths form were that year.
Clearly unstoppable and elite.

And Collingwood's Pendlebury and side bottom not elite?

Lol

Sorry mate but are you stupid? Actually read what I write before responding to me ffs.
I'm not confusing anyone with anything.
You claimed Selwood, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, etc were A-graders in 2022/2023, that is demonstrably not true, if you think it is true then you clearly didnt watch footy those years. Go back and have a look again at those years
You are making ridiculous claims about sides not needing elite midfielders to win flags but only have elite defenders.
Thats not what I said at all. Point it out to me where I said a team doesnt need elite mids? I said we can get by with 1, but my ideas end up with 2-3. We need a strong defence to win flags, its the backline that wins flags
Its utter garbage and saying none of Collingwood's or Geelong's mids are elite is bullshit
Lol, again go back and read what I wrote
You don't win flags without elite midfielders, call them a or a+ or whatever you want.
I didnt suggest we could
I can guarantee you we don't win 2018 flag without Shuey, Yeo, Cripps and masten.
Add in sheed and redden and that's an elite midfield.
Shuey and Yeo were A-grader, the rest were role players. Thats what I want our new midfield to look like. Reid, hewett and our 2025 1st pick, fill the gaps around them with whatever we can find, like we did for 2018 with Redden, or 2006 with Stenglein.
You don't win flags with tom swift and Kobe Stevens in the guts.
I didnt suggest that. Show me where I said it or piss off
You're beating this drum and have been for a week and its utter garbage otherwise the eagles would have split pick 1 and taken 3 and 18 off north and settled for whoever they got instead of an elite reid.
LOL what are you even on about
Name a premiership team without elite mids in the last 40 years. Collingwood and Geelong clearly had elite mids so you're dead wrong about those.
I showed you 2 examples of what I think we should try to replicate, we have clear disadvantages through the draft due to academies so we have to try to be smarter about it. Get a good game plan and talent all over the ground like the Pies and Cats do
Edit: Ill even go so far as to say if either of those 2 sides midfields were in our team this year we would have made the 8.
Probably, but our midfield was shit this year, one of the worst in the comp. We dont have any of the role players, its just 3 attacking mids and a bunch of randoms like Petch/Trew/Duggan filling in the gaps.
Add a few actual midfield role players and our midfield will immediately improve. You dont make a quality midfield with exclusively top 10 pick talents, you need someone to do the dirty work. All good midfields have these sorts of players.

People forget how Duncan's and blicavs and smiths form were that year.
Clearly unstoppable and elite.
Geelongs midfield consisted of Danger, Guthrie, Selwood, Blicavs, and Atkins. Selwood on his last legs playing a role, Blicavs as a role player, Atkins role player, Guthrie not a role player like the others but clearly not an A-grader. Parfitt played in there a bunch too
And Collingwood's Pendlebury and side bottom not elite?

Lol
Pendlebury and Sidebottom 100% were NOT elite last year.

Like it or not, we’re on the clock with Harley. If Warner asked for a trade and we had our F1 and Hawks F1 on the table, I’d do it.

Take 3 to this draft ideally. Get Baker and Graham in too. All of a sudden we have good midfield depth, some star power, and a fair bit of campaigner in there too

Did Warner improve his trade value on the weekend?

That game demonstrated what midfield mix you need. And Warner had little impact.
He and Heeney basically got them a minor premiership and a GF appearance on their own. The rest of their side is pretty average. In a more balanced side he and Harley could absolutely dominate

I'd rather go for one of those kids and cross my fingers that they could be the next Chad Warner.
qan1sym57qo31.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back