List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
From the eye test Garcia has it over Dev, Garcia is a contested beast similar to a Baker which is type of players eagles lack currently. Dev is ok but is pretty poorly skilled and seems a bit slow to me.
As I said, Garcia has had opportunity, Devs AFL exposure has been out of position entirely due to the depth and strength of the Brisbane midfield.
Its hard to look good as an inside mid when youre stuck at half forward.
Dev has been tearing it up in the VFL, 5th in the VFL BnF from 13 out of 18 games.

I think its telling that Garcia only had 2 year deals on the table, he cant be that good

Every dogs game I’ve watched, Garcia has been stuck in the grave yard Half forward role so not sure if it’s entirely different.

I’ll also argue the dogs had much more depth than the Lions (key word ‘had’).
Fair.
ill say that Garcia is quick and flashy, things he does are very noticeable, he also played this year

Dogs have far less depth than the Lions, its clear the Lions have realised Dev is not great on a flank so they never bothered bringing him in to cover there early in the year(and Devw as injured).
Garcias speed I guess lends himself to a small forward sort of role, Dogs also have a lot of those sort of battlers in their side

Unfortunately Elijah’s issue is almost exclusively load related now. All well and good to say he’s ready to start preseason but it’s going to be daily monitoring of symptoms and regular scans. Expectations really need to be tempered with Elijah but that’s not to say he won’t fly through preseason.

Pyke acknowledged that they tried to bring him up for a late season return a bit prematurely in hindsight so it is something that’ll need to be managed this preseason and beyond

End result is he probably becomes more of a HHF with only bursts through the midfield- a bit like how Rayner is used for Brisbane

Trade Radio- regarding Riley Garcia. Eagles interest dropped off a bit. Has a 2 year offer from the Dogs and likely landing spot but Port has interest but they are waiting on Joe Richards decision first. Josh then said if one of the WA clubs offered him a contract he would expect Garcia would take it.

Geez must have some decent plans if what would be a best 22 player imo for us and we ain’t even offering a contract. Edmund did say last week we had a 2 year contract in front of him

He played a decent game against the Dees this year so hopefully Mini saw enough

Would be surprised if the club has cooled its interest.

Presumably, the previous reputed offer remains and not much has changed since.

Could just be the club is currently focussing elsewhere - head coach, delistings, assistants, RFAs, plus it needs to find a 3rd round pick from somewhere if R.Garcia does signal an intention to move.

The Bulldogs' two year offer has been sitting there for at least two months now - he's clearly canvassing the market and will only re-commit to them if nothing better presents during the trade period. They must be expecting him to leave, otherwise their contract offer would be much longer.

Shapes as someone who will be traded in the second week of the exchange period.

My preferences for the Baker trade, in order:
1. 3 for 6 and Baker
2. 23 for Baker
3. 13 for 21 and Baker
4. 13 for Baker
I think sliding from 3 to 6 won't cost us a good midfielder, even if we have to pick Murphy Reid against his preferences, but sliding back from 13 will cost us a good player in a position of need.

Magpies went all-in after him once J.Noble made it clear he wants to move to Gold Coast.

H.Perryman despite being a NSW product, grew up a Collingwood supporter and that seems to have clinched the deal.

Collingwood gain a player upgrade in addition to a likely second round pick (for J.Noble).

Puts a spanner in Port's plans for the trade period. With I.Cumming choosing Adelaide they don't have a ready replacement for the trade of D.Houston to facilitate picks for J.Lukosius.

With H.Perryman and I.Cumming both out the door through RFA and J.Peatling subject to a bidding war by half of the competition, GWS are shaping to have six picks between 20 and 50, in addition to their current pick 14.

Expect to see them looking to combine picks and trade up.

Everyone knows Port are treading water, before heading down the ladder.

Very good mids, pop gun attack and a backline minus Houston, (Z)erk!

Sth Australian teams no premiership since 2007, WC miles off, Freo maybe ...... time for the AFL to start looking at the non Vic southern states rather than being all in on draft assistance to NSW and QLD.

Couldn’t disagree more.

Need mids and ready made imo. Just gotta cut the list to create spots
How many mids do you think we need?
We'd need to promise game time. Graham and Baker will both be in our best 22, assuming we get Dev thats 3 players who can run through the midfield, are we drafting a mid with our first pick?
We may have to give the odd game to Hall, may have to give mid time to Hewett, we have Yeo, Kelly, Reid still in there.

If Reid/Yeo/Kelly do 65% CBAs each(195% of 300%, they did 220% this year), thats 105% to fill, thats 2-3 players. Hewett/Graham/Baker/Dev easily smash that in.
We'd have to promise at least some game time to get guys across, as much as it'd bne nice to bring Garcia or Dev over to bolster the WAFL.
Draft a mid with our first pick and theres no space left.

If it was a case we werent after Dev then yes im all for Garcia, but I really think Dev is a better fit

Pyke acknowledged that they tried to bring him up for a late season return a bit prematurely in hindsight so it is something that’ll need to be managed this preseason and beyond

End result is he probably becomes more of a HHF with only bursts through the midfield- a bit like how Rayner is used for Brisbane
100% this is how he will be used. Later in his career he may be able to do the kms and develop the tank to play more midfield but for now Cam Rayner is an excellent comparison.

We'd need to promise game time. Graham and Baker will both be in our best 22, assuming we get Dev thats 3 players who can run through the midfield, are we drafting a mid with our first pick?
We may have to give the odd game to Hall, may have to give mid time to Hewett, we have Yeo, Kelly, Reid still in there.

If Reid/Yeo/Kelly do 65% CBAs each(195% of 300%, they did 220% this year), thats 105% to fill, thats 2-3 players. Hewett/Graham/Baker/Dev easily smash that in.
We'd have to promise at least some game time to get guys across, as much as it'd bne nice to bring Garcia or Dev over to bolster the WAFL.

If it was a case we werent after Dev then yes im all for Garcia, but I really think Dev is a better fit
Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Not doing a midfield convo with you. The thread is full of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i wonder what mcqualter's relationship with oliver is like? take on his full contract and pick 5 jack bowes style 😅

All reads well but 100% do not want Gerreyn. Nothing to do with his football ability and I’m confident West Coast will be across it.
I just don't know what need he would fill for us anyway, don't need key fwds and certainly don't need undersized rucks.
I know he's been touted as potential for KPD, but without seeing him play there I wouldn't waste a pick.

Ted Clohesy at Geelong is uncontracted and been developing nicely in the VFL.

With Bailey Smith and possibly Clayton Oliver going there, are we a chance to prize him away at a good price?

I just don't know what need he would fill for us anyway, don't need key fwds and certainly don't need undersized rucks.
I know he's been touted as potential for KPD, but without seeing him play there I wouldn't waste a pick.
Very much agreed. O’Farrell, Mraz* and Barrat would all be preferred options in that range. Barrat reminds me a bit of Adam Hunter who went pick 29 which is likely to be where 23 ends up. Clancy Dennis would be another with a later pick.

It's a shame the Swans had to shit the bed in the Granny. I think our best chance to get Warner was this offseason with Sydney winning and Freo having all their invested in getting Bolton.

The Swans are in the window.

Freo are arguably within another season of being in the window.

Why would the Swans gratefully hand them a weapon that could potentially come back to bite them.

It makes much more send to deal Warner to us.

i wonder what mcqualter's relationship with oliver is like? take on his full contract and pick 5 jack bowes style 😅
Jack Graham is about to become the highest paid WAFL player in history

For those able to put up with some possibly ill-informed discussion on WCE Trade possibilities, they are about to discuss our squad on Trade Radio.
Haha they probably know only a handful of player's.

Yesterday on another Melbourne station they were talking about how McQualter has to get more than the 3 wins we got this year

Geelong 2022 and Pies 2023 are 2 great examples of sides without A+ midfields winning by having a good spread of talent all over the ground. They are the sides we should look to emulate imo

Both coincidentally beat sides who people regard as having those A+ midfields in those grand finals, Swans and Lions
Pies were deeep through the midfield with serious top end talent as well

1727754957038.png

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back