List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
His kids were also very young then, all 3 were under 4 I believe, and 2 with special needs. All would be in school now and his career is almost done so perhaps might be more open to a short-term move to extend and for $$.

Would be more than happy to move TK on this year for a 2R or maybe a bit more with salary paid. Him and Flyin’ are the next best candidates after TB that might hold some currency in a trade and not leave us with a leadership void. Both are past their best and give questionable effort at times but could be valuable to a contender.

I like the idea of trading with Freo because any additional deals they do will reduce their draft hand and ability to beat us for Warner.

Kozzie is still being mentioned too, I wonder what McQualter’s vibe is with him from his time at the Dees?

Wondering if Mini may attract interest from any Dees players to come across?

Or get Bolton's attention.

People will hate this but with the Barrass trade and potentially Kelly we would actually have the trade capital to land two of Warner, Boltonor Kossie now.

Pick 3 and 13

Future pick 1 and Hawks F1st

Kelly.

With some later picks involved coming back to us.

Even then if Kelly also left we may still hold a 1st rounder to use as well.

Last edited:
Sydney may want him to move on if his intentions are to go end of next. I think there is a real chance this happens this trade period. How invested is he in Sydney?
If i'm Warner unless i really can't handle another 12 months in Sydney i stay in Sydney. Challenge for a flag, let the Eagles get one year closer to competitive, then make the move.

Maybe we are being hard behind the scenes. I hope so. I just have no faith at all in this club off the field, especially in the trade space. Maybe Pyke and Clarke deserve a chance but they havent really got me overly excited by their performance thus far in the rumours regarding Barass and Baker. They are just rumours so feel free to prove me wrong guys.
I agree mate. The Barrass and Baker trades will tell us exactly where this club is headed. Whether we’re nepotistic pushovers or have learnt from the Kelly and to a lesser extent Brockman trades and are going to put our club first.

Chris Davies from Port said this on Dan Houston this morning on trade radio: "he wont be leaving for anything less than he's worth" .

Port are what we should be aspiring to be in this space - hard and uncompromising.

We said this in the press release regarding Barass: "We will endeavour to meet Tom's request while protecting the best interests of the West Coast Eagles." That was weak and I've not heard anything much since. Why arnt we saying the same things as Port on Houston?

Port would also be threatening to take Baker in the PSD and calling the Tigers bluff on picking him up again. We should at least be threatening this, like Port did when they bent us over the barrel for Rioli. (We also could have re-drafted Rioli then too but were never going to take a player who wants to leave, like the Tigers would never do with Baker).

I wish we would just harden the **** up.
Pyke said just yesterday we'd only let Barrass if if we receive fair compensation for a top 6 KPD in the comp.

Pyke said just yesterday we'd only let Barrass if if we receive fair compensation for a top 6 KPD in the comp.
I could get behind Barrass + F3 for 13 + F1

Another player i really like is Ryan Angwin from GWS

Beautiful left foot that can run all day, broke his leg and has come back from it very well

Was a pick 18 in the draft i think in 2020.

Anyway played a heap of games last year only a few this year as was hard to get in there defence

Is a mid half back that is quick and runs all day

Would probably win our 2k time trial
Does he train houses down too?

I'm going to partake in what is likely some premature & unfounded self-congratulation here after my stab in the dark a couple weeks back.

If true though that's exactly what we want. High quality defender in right age bracket that costs nothing in picks
View attachment 2128665
My neighbour is a decent source.

Probably bullshit but happy to indulge. Pick 10 for Kelly and full $1m salary? Travaglia back on the menu if the Saints don’t get band 1 and judging by their BnF tantrum, maybe they won’t.

3-FOS
10-Travaglia
13-Lindsay
23-O’Farrell
59-Champion
64-Dennis
Rookie-Artemis

F2, Culley and 22 (Band 3 Graham) for Baker
Swap F4s for Dev
64 and F3 (NM) for Darling and F4
Petruccelle for Garcia

2025 based on 2024 ladder
3 and F1 for 17 and Warner Bros
13-Rodriguez
17-Curtin
38-Banfield FS
39-Walley NGA
Cat B-Evans NGA

Trade him. Get him out. Has currency. Freo have the pick. Will have a chance at a flag...mantle. Happy to contribute salary. Hutchinson/hewett can slot right into his role rotating. Do it eagles, get ruthless.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably bullshit but happy to indulge. Pick 10 for Kelly and full $1m salary? Travaglia back on the menu if the Saints don’t get band 1 and judging by their BnF tantrum, maybe they won’t.

3-FOS
10-Travaglia
13-Lindsay
23-O’Farrell
59-Champion
64-Dennis
Rookie-Artemis

F2, Culley and 22 (Band 3 Graham) for Baker
Swap F4s for Dev
64 and F3 (NM) for Darling and F4
Petruccelle for Garcia

2025 based on 2024 ladder
3 and F1 for 17 and Warner Bros
13-Rodriguez
17-Curtin
38-Banfield FS
39-Walley NGA
Cat B-Evans NGA

The absolute dream, despite handing Freo the best chance theyve had a premiership in their existence

It’s not enough

We need to say we will burn the AFL house down to the ground, steal lollies from children, whilst taking grandmas secret apple pie recipe and put it on the internet

I won’t rest until I see these words from a West Coast Official.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If i'm Warner unless i really can't handle another 12 months in Sydney i stay in Sydney. Challenge for a flag, let the Eagles get one year closer to competitive, then make the move.

Would you be happy playing in 2025 on $600k less than what you would be on if you moved straight away?

And in the back of your mind you are thinking even if we make the GF will we get flogged again.

IMO unless the Swans do something dramatic they won't be winning a flag next year.

I could get behind Barrass + F3 for 13 + F1
It's the ideal.

As long as we don't trade out 13 this year, and take two first rounders, then next year we have three potential first rounders (our 2025, hawks 2025 and our 2026) to make a deal with Sydney for Warner. Would expect we'd need to give up two of them.

My Dad's had it in for Kelly from the moment he arrived at the club (Gave up too much for a guy who doesn't contribute to winning/ Gobbling up our salary cap)

So it's Christmas morning for him today.
Well, he better be prepared to have a fat lump of coal in the stocking in the form of a new Kelly contract..

Is it bad that I look at this side and think 'jeeze, Duggan is borderline best 22 here?' I'd probably prefer Hunt on the HBF to him already?

Hope Gov stays fit this year. Personally think top of priority tree needs to be KPD. if you draft them they take forever to be any good, and good ones are pretty rarely available for trade. Gov's durability outside of last year has been terrible and he is absolutely pivotal in the side above. Even if he stays fit we have what maybe two? seasons to sort out his replacement.

Our big issue in the backline is we have a lot of decent players with similar skill sets. Hough, ginbey, Duggan, even Cole, are all decent afl players, they are all tough and good overhead for their size. They are all good one on one defenders. But none of them are particularly good at rebounding as they all have average foot skills/swervability. With this mix of defensive flankers we basically need a Whitfield or a zorko to make up for their lack of rebound. This issue will only compound when our best rebound kicker left (gov) who is a KPD hangs up the boots.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Would you be happy playing in 2025 on $600k less than what you would be on if you moved straight away?

And in the back of your mind you are thinking even if we make the GF will we get flogged again.

IMO unless the Swans do something dramatic they won't be winning a flag next year.

The club will be all over this for sure, but if possible I would be pushing this forward a year. And only Harley would be untouchable to get the deal done.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back