List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

Do we still think we try for a player for Barrass?
I know it was mentioned before, and a guy like Serong who wont get a game at the Hawks would fill a need.
I'd start like this...

1) barass for 13 + f1
2) barass + f3 for 13 + f1
3) barass/salary + f3 for 13 + f1
4) barass + f2 for 13 + f1
5) barass/salary + f2 for 13 + f1
6) get f***** Hawks

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is where I think it ends up.

If I was Hawks I’d spew at that suggestion and I’d be extremely happy with it as an Eagles supporter. Probably tells you that it’s lopsided.

MeGA trade

Eagles
Out Barrass, Kelly(+salary), F3
In Baker, 10,29,30

Richmond
Out Baker, Bolton, 29
In 9,13,16

Freo
Out 9,10,16
In Bolton, Kelly, HF2

Hawks
Out 13,30, F2
Barrass, WCF3

Eagles get Baker plus picks. Richmond get 3 1sts. Freo get Bolton and Kelly + pick for Warner next year. Hawks get Barrass and keep their F1.

How about a few players for Kelly from Freo, O'Driscoll and Knobel?
Not sure on Kelly's value tbh, older but still quality, for a couple of young fellas that both have decent up side.
Unlikely Freo gives up their youth though

There will be lots of angry Eagles fans if the dockers end up with Bolton and Warner.
I won't care personally. Chris Judd became Josh Kennedy and Chris Masten. If we don't get Warner we just throw some very good darts and trust the process.

Honestly, we've brought in a lot of kids these past couple of years. If we dealt Pick 3 and the Barass pick for Warner, and pick 23 for Baker, get Graham as a FA, I could honestly live with it. Would be nice if we got some sweet compo picks to assist with adding some more draftees or being ontraded.

Warner is only 23yrs old, so entering his prime, and has a decade of footy left in him. He;s already one of the better mids in the competition.

Midfield group of Warner, Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Baker, Graham looks pretty solid. Honestly, we just need a decent ruck that can win a few hitouts.

Worst case scenario we're still shit next year and we get another top 3 pick to add to the mix.

Our big issue in the backline is we have a lot of decent players with similar skillets. Hough, ginbey, Duggan, even Cole, are all decent afl players, they are all tough and good overhead for their size. They are all good one on one defenders. But none of them are particularly good at rebounding as they all have average foot skills/swervability. With this mix of defensive flankers we basically need a Whitfield or a zorko to make up for their lack of rebound. This issue will only compound when our best rebound kicker left (gov) who is a KPD hangs up the boots.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You haven’t watched Tom Cole try to defend lately have you? Go back and watch him try and follow Kai Lohman around when we played the lions. He certainly can’t read the play, can’t defend one on one and his disposal is horrible…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Probably puts the Kelly (non?)-issue to rest..
From Daniels/X post -

"Tim Kelly is completely committed to the West Coast Eagles. I spoke with him at length just yesterday and can confirm he is very excited about what lies ahead under the guidance of new coach Andrew McQualter. He is currently contracted up until the end of this season (2025), and I see no reason why he wouldn’t remain with the club beyond that if they wish to retain him. We are open to discussing this with the list management team anytime they wish to do so..."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably puts the Kelly (non?)-issue to rest..
From Daniels/X post -

"Tim Kelly is completely committed to the West Coast Eagles. I spoke with him at length just yesterday and can confirm he is very excited about what lies ahead under the guidance of new coach Andrew McQualter. He is currently contracted up until the end of this season (2025), and I see no reason why he wouldn’t remain with the club beyond that if they wish to retain him. We are open to discussing this with the list management team anytime they wish to do so..."
Too late - an extra 20 pages of trade hypotheticals with Freo is already in motion

If I was Hawks I’d spew at that suggestion and I’d be extremely happy with it as an Eagles supporter. Probably tells you that it’s lopsided.

MeGA trade

Eagles
Out Barrass, Kelly(+salary), F3
In Baker, 10,29,30

Richmond
Out Baker, Bolton, 29
In 9,13,16

Freo
Out 9,10,16
In Bolton, Kelly, HF2

Hawks
Out 13,30, F2
Barrass, WCF3

Eagles get Baker plus picks. Richmond get 3 1sts. Freo get Bolton and Kelly + pick for Warner next year. Hawks get Barrass and keep their F1.
The reality is that our F2 is too much for us and our F3 is not enough for them. Keys' has already suggested Barrass, 23 + F2 for 13, 30 + F1, which upgrades the Hawks' second rounder this year and finds that middle ground.

Quote from the dockers board:
Not sure what Kelly would bring that others don’t already possess. We don’t exist to save people’s careers or to give them a shot at a flag before they retire, if we did I’d rather we bring Mundy or Pav out of retirement to give them a shot at it.
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

IMO kelly has held up his end of the bargain. He's not the scapegoat for our demise.

Keen to keep him
Agree hes done his job.

Id let him look around though similar to Darling or Barrass if theres a better deal out there. I wouldnt be fighting to keep him or anything.
Happy if he stayed on slight unders but also happy if he got us an ok pick

Cody shapes as the number 1 key defender prospect in the pool entering 2025, although he's also played forward to great effect at Colts level this season. He's much stronger overhead than his brother Dan and looks a more intense competitor, similarly solid disposal skills but perhaps little less clean with the ground ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back