List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea but surely we are better off splitting 3 for a 1st this year and a f1 for next year than just moving the pick into the future.
I dont think we can afford to push things back like that

Maybe a split of 3 into a 1st this year and a f1, like 3 for Freos 10+f1+something, or maybe the Saints are keen on 3+23 for 7+f1
Add that f1 to our normal f1 and the hawks f1 im sure we could work things

Honestly there is so much to play out and pick 3 gives us a lot of options this year considering we have the Barrass trade.

In general I don't like the top of this draft, an overwhelmingly victorian top 20 and Sid Draper seems like he was born to captain one of the SA sides, and I'd bet money that one day he will. Next year is a much better draft for us to be going in with multiple top 10 picks. Likely to be a SA #1 and baby Curtin could be another top 5.

We're bringing in multiple senior players and getting Hewitt back this off season, as well as using a range of picks through the middle of the draft on kids that apparently over index relative to previous years. I think that's enough change to the list for to be dealing with, and just have concerns that that pick 3 kind of gets lost in the transition and has an underwhelming first year at the club. The young bucks at the pointy end of the draft dream of having big first years, just not sure that's on the cards for whoever we pick.

If we have a rise up to the mid table and the Hawks have another good year we're looking at maybe something like 8 and 15 in 2025, and it's probably a missed opportunity or two. But 1 and 8 gives us options to do basically anything we could want though, from securing Warner to replacing Gov to picking up a clear best mid in draft type player to whatever. If we don't land Warner this preseason then it's kind hard to see how we get it done next year if we go all in on this draft.

No doubt next year some established players fall by the way side under the new game plan, some fringe players unexpectedly thrive, and our needs evolve. I assume we know what we are looking for in this draft but I'm still apprehensive about loading up in a draft barely a month into a new coaches tenure.

Just all makes me incredibly skeptical about the prospect of the 2024 draft being the win we need.

Alternatively, we could easily trade forward 3 and set ourselves up for an epic 2025 draft. Then hold onto 13 while still getting get some picks that are worthwhile using later in the draft and just see how things shake out transitioning to a new game plan. Considering our commitments to Grahman and Baker, and the nomination by Bolton to go home, we'll never have a better opportunity than dealing with Richmond while holding as much draft currency as we do. Freo having 3 first rounders at the same time is also incredibly fortunate. Between the 3 clubs, the number of potential exchanges of players and picks is actually incredible. Hopefully we play it to our maximum advantage however it turns out.

Warner for Kelly is not happening…Kelly is 30

And if Warner leaves along with Parker Swans will chase picks PLUS a ready made player to boost centre square clearances.

It's the area they were totally smashed in the GF.

So Kelly would be a great addition if Warner moved. Kelly also a pretty d3cent half forward. Swans get a player who can rack it up and impact immediately next season. Plus use pick 3 on a gun mid.

Going to be a lot of angry Eagles fans if Kelly moves to Freo

But.. if we effectively end up with Warner for Kelly, then that's a massive win for WC
Ill just be angry that I cant abuse him from the stands as often and that id need to buy a ticket to Freo games to keep doing it

People just dont want to admit he has been a abomination for us. Time to get rid of the stench. If that means paying some of his salary in 2024 and getting Neil Erasmus back as his direct replacement then please do it

Honestly there is so much to play out and pick 3 gives us a lot of options this year considering we have the Barrass trade.

In general I don't like the top of this draft, an overwhelmingly victorian top 20 and Sid Draper seems like he was born to captain one of the SA sides, and I'd bet money that one day he will. Next year is a much better draft for us to be going in with multiple top 10 picks. Likely to be a SA #1 and baby Curtin could be another top 5.

We're bringing in multiple senior players and getting Hewitt back this off season, as well as using a range of picks through the middle of the draft on kids that apparently over index relative to previous years. I think that's enough change to the list for to be dealing with, and just have concerns that that pick 3 kind of gets lost in the transition and has an underwhelming first year at the club. The young bucks at the pointy end of the draft dream of having big first years, just not sure that's on the cards for whoever we pick.
Fair with Hewett back, he will basically be a new young mid
If we have a rise up to the mid table and the Hawks have another good year we're looking at maybe something like 8 and 15 in 2025, and it's probably a missed opportunity or two. But 1 and 8 gives us options to do basically anything we could want though, from securing Warner to replacing Gov to picking up a clear best mid in draft type player to whatever. If we don't land Warner this preseason then it's kind hard to see how we get it done next year if we go all in on this draft.
Richmond will have 1 next year, but agree we could do a lot with a top 4 pick and pick 10-15.
We could get Warner with our 2025 1st pick, he wont fetch a Judd like haul.
No doubt next year some established players fall by the way side under the new game plan, some fringe players unexpectedly thrive, and our needs evolve. I assume we know what we are looking for in this draft but I'm still apprehensive about loading up in a draft barely a month into a new coaches tenure.

Just all makes me incredibly skeptical about the prospect of the 2024 draft being the win we need.

Alternatively, we could easily trade forward 3 and set ourselves up for an epic 2025 draft. Then hold onto 13 while still getting get some picks that are worthwhile using later in the draft and just see how things shake out transitioning to a new game plan. Considering our commitments to Grahman and Baker, and the nomination by Bolton to go home, we'll never have a better opportunity than dealing with Richmond while holding as much draft currency as we do. Freo having 3 first rounders at the same time is also incredibly fortunate. Between the 3 clubs, the number of potential exchanges of players and picks is actually incredible. Hopefully we play it to our maximum advantage however it turns out.
I agree with your idea about the weaker draft and next year being better, I just dont think we should abandon the early parts of the 2024 draft. We need young kids in now, we dont want to be delaying the rebuild. Need to keep improving to attract/retain players too, its not just about the 2030 potential.

If we could turn the Hawks F1 and 13 into a pick 8-10 and another 1st somehow then id be ok with sending our pick 3 into next year tbh

Ill just be angry that I cant abuse him from the stands as often and that id need to buy a ticket to Freo games to keep doing it

People just dont want to admit he has been a abomination for us. Time to get rid of the stench. If that means paying some of his salary in 2024 and getting Neil Erasmus back as his direct replacement then please do it

Abomination is just a tad of an over-exaggeration, which let's be honest, you're a bit prone to.

This, id swap 3 for Richmond F1

Will give us 1, 4 and 14 next year

Draft Sharp and send 4 to Sydney for Warner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this Liam Baker chatter gives me serious Sharrod Wellingham vibes.....

After looking at Baker's nuffie B & F night speech, laughable that the Tigger supporters are banging on about him as a future captain.

May be an on field leader, but his vibe was pretty disrespectful and completely failed to read the room or thank the club properly.

Maybe the honest answer is, he's not real bright (which suits as us he sure has burnt some bridges at the Tiggers, so mid to latish 2nd rounder and they can think themselves lucky).

Shai Bolton's speech marginally better, but gee the Tiggers average IQ will shoot up with these 2 moving on.

What if we just trade up for Travaglia on draft night?

3- best mid available
13 and 23 to get travaglia??

We need a running half/back/wing do we just bite the bullet and draft for our needs at the expense of pick 23. If we want more picks bring in Hawks f1?

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't rate anyone this year?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I mean I do but it's pretty meh, sorry just can't get excited for anyone we'd take at 3. If we use it, and I'm sure we will, then I'll jump onboard once I know who it is and get excited then.

At the Barrass pick I personally would be fine with Bo Allen but I know plenty on here don't rate him, seems like he'd be an instant whipping boy so can also see the upside of not taking him.

If he's slides because everyone is busy taking mids I'd be stoked with Luke Trainor at that pick, maybe a fair chance he would be available now too. Trainor seems like he'd offer us a lot down back with his smarts and ball use, even if a tad undersized. I don't mind the compromise there and feel like Trainor, Bazzo, and baby Curtin with Hough, Ginbey and one more could be a dynamic back 6 down in 5 years time.

Then for the later stages of the draft depending what we still have I'm just excited to see who we draft. Hopefully we don't pick up another ruckman. Hopefully we don't pick up another key back or tall forward. As long as they have speed and foot skills I don't care. Not slow and elite foot skills, suited to play wing or half back is what I'd expect there and by the look there are plenty of options. Wouldn't be opposed to taking a punt late on the inside mid with the dodgy hip who's only got 100 games in him, whoever that is.

3- best mid available

We need a running half/back/wing do we just bite the bullet and draft for our needs at the expense of pick 23. If we want more picks bring in Hawks f1?

Back to the old 3+13 for 6+9, take Travaglia at 6 or 9 depending on what we think other teams with 7 and 8 want to do

3- best mid available

Nah, there's other HBFers around too

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who new* you'd be one of those people who goes to the footy to abuse players from the team you support.

*Some of us had an inkling.

After looking at Baker's nuffie B & F night speech, laughable that the Tigger supporters are banging on about him as a future captain.

May be an on field leader, but his vibe was pretty disrespectful and completely failed to read the room or thank the club properly.

Maybe the honest answer is, he's not real bright (which suits as us he sure has burnt some bridges at the Tiggers, so mid to latish 2nd rounder and they can think themselves lucky).

Shai Bolton's speech marginally better, but gee the Tiggers average IQ will shoot up with these 2 moving on.
I think you overestimate the current Tigers average IQ.
Baker leaving for West Coast will drop the average IQ of both Tigers and Eagles simultaneously.

With Baker and Graham all but locked in, I had a quick look at a few key stats to see what they bring to the table and where they would have stacked up in our side this year.

Baker:
  • 4th for PR - every player above him 29 or older.
  • 6th Coaches votes
  • 5th Disposals, 4th Contested Pos, 4th Ground Ball Gets, 8th Hard Ball gets.
  • 3rd Inside 50's
  • 6th Metres Gained.
  • 4th Turnovers - TK 1st, Yeo 2nd & Duggan 3rd.
  • 7th Centre Bounce Attendance, 5th Clearances.
  • 6th Tackles, 2nd Pressure Acts.
  • 6th Goals, 2nd Score Involvment, 5th Score Launch.
Graham
  • 11th for Player Ratings - Only two players younger than him above him Reid 6th & Ginbey 9th.
  • 7th Disposals, 8th Contested Posessions, 6th Ground Ball Gets, 11th Hard Ball Gets.
  • 9th Inside 50's, 9th Score Involvements.
  • 6th Centre Bounce Attendance, 6th Clearances.
  • 3rd tackles, 4th Pressure Acts.

View attachment 2128801

Jack Graham only played generally 70% ToG in a team that finished last. Anyone who watched the Tigers know why?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back