List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
With Baker and Bolton asking to come home to WA and Warner supposedly looking to go home in the near future, I am hoping it makes non WA clubs question whether to draft the WA talent quite as high.

WA prospects have been good at making a goof it when drafted interstate

It will not show up this year as Allan is the only prospect tipped to go R1. It may just give us the reverse Sandringham effect

I'd trade a 31 year old Kelly plus a F3rd for Erasmus, Noble and pick 27. And pay some of his 2025 salary.

Two young yet unproven players in positions of need plus a handy 2nd rounder.

Just don't see a top 10 pick being involved in any deal for Tim.
It would take Warner basically telling Freo to piss off for pick 10 to maybe even get anywhere near the Kelly deal.
Maybe if Warner did pull a surprise move and ask to come to west coast this year Freo might be ok with it

Kelly+ full Salary+F2 for 10?

Harley Reid will be the number 1 midfielder the way we want to cut players like Kelly , experience and maturity is needed at this rebuild stage .
Reid playing FF at times could be effective also ,...very effective.

Isn't he already

Sesame Street Idk GIF

I'd take Jaxon Artemis in a heartbeat over Champion. Half back flanker / wing, metres gained type player, takes the game on, great footy brain , very quick on his feet, WA MVP at the Carnival with Bo Allan and Champion both playing ... and fills that outside runner we need
Champion does still fill a need for us.
Agree we need half back/wings but we do need a small goal kicking forward too, mostly though I just cant see us NOT taking Champion as our NGA kid

Champion does still fill a need for us.
Agree we need half back/wings but we do need a small goal kicking forward too, mostly though I just cant see us NOT taking Champion as our NGA kid
I just can't see him even doing well at WAFL level... way too small , no real defensive + to his game. Let him through and rookie list him instead of bidding on him.

I definitely see him as a top 10 prospect as it stands. One of the big question marks over Dan was uncertainty around his best position, largely due to his relatively poor aerial skills for his height. That's not the situation for Cody... he's powerful and dominant in the air, and great with his bodywork in marking contests. He's 100% pure key position - we already know that he can be an outstanding key defender, the only question to be answered I think is whether he's going to be capable of kicking bags forward.

I'm a bit light on for details but Will Schofield coaches Aquanis (I think) and his team played Curtin's recently. From what I recall of the chat, Will sent his key back to Curtin who was playing forward, and he shut him down pretty comprehensively. Wish I could remember the name of the defender, as Schoey is big on him.

Chris Davies from Port said this on Dan Houston this morning on trade radio: "he wont be leaving for anything less than he's worth" .

Port are what we should be aspiring to be in this space - hard and uncompromising.

We said this in the press release regarding Barass: "We will endeavour to meet Tom's request while protecting the best interests of the West Coast Eagles." That was weak and I've not heard anything much since. Why arnt we saying the same things as Port on Houston?

Port would also be threatening to take Baker in the PSD and calling the Tigers bluff on picking him up again. We should at least be threatening this, like Port did when they bent us over the barrel for Rioli. (We also could have re-drafted Rioli then too but were never going to take a player who wants to leave, like the Tigers would never do with Baker).

I wish we would just harden the **** up.
Have you ever managed a large group? I sense you might be living with leadership trends of the 80’s. The Kerry Packer and John Elliott BSD School of Negotiations

Your love of the Port approach is interesting. On an outcomes based approach, the ranting and raving “I’ve got a big d1ck” approach to negotiations does not seem to have worked for Port. There is a consistent feeling that Ken has outperformed with a moderate list. How did that work for them with Ratugalea and Soldo? Who screwed who in those cases?

You do realise that there was a strong rift in our team about not wanting Bong Boy at the club? What would there to have been gained in re-drafting Rioli?

Port somewhat resemble Freo and Feathers in his Cap who also liked to play his negotiations tactics out in the media. How well has that worked for Freo in retaining players? That worked out well with Cerra, Hill, Henry, Acres, Neale, to name a few.

No thanks to the Port and Freo approach, I will avoid the 2 MUA aligned clubs

Are you thinking early teens for a contender? Less valuable than Barrass at top 10, more valuable than Richmond fan's thinking Baker is worth a late first?
Now that the Tigers pres has had a thinly veiled swipe at the departing players ..loyalty... forget about bakers need to please his former club... he wants WC, he is uncontracted....WC just need to hold their nerve ... they will get him without losing any first round picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this Liam Baker chatter gives me serious Sharrod Wellingham vibes.....

Cody shapes as the number 1 key defender prospect in the pool entering 2025, although he's also played forward to great effect at Colts level this season. He's much stronger overhead than his brother Dan and looks a more intense competitor, similarly solid disposal skills but perhaps little less clean with the ground ball.

If we could draft Cody Curtin with the Hawks F1 (along with Rodrigues with our F1) then fill our boots with Banfield and Walley with points, it would be an impressive haul. I write this with a lot of water to go under the bridge but dreaming of a better future is all we have at the moment

I am quite pleased to see that, after a bit of a dry spell, the reverse go home factor in FA / big names starting to have an impact.

If we can get Warner and Starcevich next season then we are golden for a run up the ladder. Starcevich is rock solid, would look great in blue and gold with that big chrome dome of his. Who was the last chrome dome we had? Been a long time between drinks! Judd in 07 maybe?
Either way, he's proper. Would love him. I do have a soft spot for great defenders.

Warner gets enough attention without me faffing on.

Obviously the day Harley decides to go home will be a sad one, but we all knew what the score was when we drafted him.

I think trading Kelly is the right move given where we sit but my word it is annoying knowing Freo will actually use him to his strengths.
Our midfield which should be 8 players deep is Kelly , yeo and Harley.

We would be bat shit insane to trade Kelly. Even though he hasn't produced the football we hoped for he is still vital to our team moving forward .

The whole point of adding Baker, Graham, Robertson, garcia is to increase our midfield depth and actually have a 2nd string group so our main mid can get rested and play to their potential .

Next season having Kelly yeo Harley Duggan Hutchenson Baker Graham

Then hopefully Hewett Hall Johnston long Robinson/garcia

Our midfield looks a lot deeper with actual 2 way runners

1) I absolutely think TK's management fed Ryan Daniels contract info to Tweet to get the ball rolling on an extension, and 2) I think it backfired when they saw the reaction overnight and this morning of one side being 'How dare they' and the other side being 'YES PLEASE GO!' Lol
What would Geelong do?

Call his bluff and trade him?
Refuse to deal with his agent?
Refuse a contract extension and send him to the Beagles?

What will the Western Australian news hound do?
Put him on the front pages to bookend Harley's back page?

Probably puts the Kelly (non?)-issue to rest..
From Daniels/X post -

"Tim Kelly is completely committed to the West Coast Eagles. I spoke with him at length just yesterday and can confirm he is very excited about what lies ahead under the guidance of new coach Andrew McQualter. He is currently contracted up until the end of this season (2025), and I see no reason why he wouldn’t remain with the club beyond that if they wish to retain him. We are open to discussing this with the list management team anytime they wish to do so..."
I don't think this is the full stop that many in here think it is.
The last 2 sentences in particular sound like: " Tim is committed to see out his contract buuuuut, if WC wanted to see what he is worth as trade bait and Tim can get an extended or better deal at the purples then we are both happy to line our pockets with the blessing of the club."

Lets not forget how committed TB stated he was back in mid season. I think there will be more to play out here.

Do you (or anyone else in this thread) think Curtin seems like a top 10 prospect?
If not do you have any projection on where he might sit?

I know its very early

I know this will get me a thumbs down but baby Curts is one of the main reasons I want to trade 3 into next years draft and have an extra first. Unless we can get Warner this trade period we are so much better off having 2 top 10 picks next year than taking a pick at 3 this year.

Anyone else hearing Isiah Winder has been asked to do testing by a few AFL clubs.

Watch the Cats turn him into a Tim Kelly clone.........

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back