List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
After looking at Baker's nuffie B & F night speech, laughable that the Tigger supporters are banging on about him as a future captain.

May be an on field leader, but his vibe was pretty disrespectful and completely failed to read the room or thank the club properly.

Maybe the honest answer is, he's not real bright (which suits as us he sure has burnt some bridges at the Tiggers, so mid to latish 2nd rounder and they can think themselves lucky).

Shai Bolton's speech marginally better, but gee the Tiggers average IQ will shoot up with these 2 moving on.
Perhaps about time we target good footballers not good boys. I have no idea what the back story is though.

After looking at Baker's nuffie B & F night speech, laughable that the Tigger supporters are banging on about him as a future captain.

May be an on field leader, but his vibe was pretty disrespectful and completely failed to read the room or thank the club properly.

Maybe the honest answer is, he's not real bright (which suits as us he sure has burnt some bridges at the Tiggers, so mid to latish 2nd rounder and they can think themselves lucky).

Shai Bolton's speech marginally better, but gee the Tiggers average IQ will shoot up with these 2 moving on.

Enough to burn bridges that he can't go back if WCE trade falls through?

One of the things I look for in a player is the ability to both accumulate possessions and hit the scoreboard. A measure of this is the number of 20-possession, 2-goal games a player can register in a season. I expect Harley Reid to become prolific in this respect.

To put things in perspective, last year only 3 Eagles achieved this in any game (Waterman, Hunt, Sheed). This year we had 3 instances again (Yeo, Reid, Ryan) out of a total of 239 achieved by all players in the league.

Last year, the highest number of 20+2 games was achieved by Toby Greene, with 7. He only had 1 this year. Here's a list of all players who managed it 3 or more times in 2024:

3: C Rozee, E Gulden, L Baker, S Bolton, H Sheezel, A Treloar, C Ward, C Macdonald, M D'Ambrosio, E Richards, S Flanders

4: J Kelly, J Cameron, C Rayner, H McCluggage, P Cripps, H Young, J Ginnivan, L Neale, N Martin

5: J Horne-Francis, J Daniher, G Miers, B Keays, D Moore

6: N Daicos

8: M Bontempelli

11: I Heeney, C Warner

We need players like this. We're getting one (Baker) and it's hard to argue we shouldn't get another (Warner) if he's in any way available.

Jack Graham only played generally 70% ToG in a team that finished last. Anyone who watched the Tigers know why?

Minutes were probably being managed to some extent as he had a serious quad strain during preseason and then did his hamstring just three matches after his return. In 2023 his time on ground was higher.

Tigers also had D.Prestia, J.Hopper and T.Taranto who can't play anywhere except in J.Graham's preferred position, so that has probably had some impact as well.

One of the things I look for in a player is the ability to both accumulate possessions and hit the scoreboard. A measure of this is the number of 20-possession, 2-goal games a player can register in a season. I expect Harley Reid to become prolific in this respect.

To put things in perspective, last year only 3 Eagles achieved this in any game (Waterman, Hunt, Sheed). This year we had 3 instances again (Yeo, Reid, Ryan) out of a total of 239 achieved by all players in the league.

Last year, the highest number of 20+2 games was achieved by Toby Greene, with 7. He only had 1 this year. Here's a list of all players who managed it 3 or more times in 2024:

3: C Rozee, E Gulden, L Baker, S Bolton, H Sheezel, A Treloar, C Ward, C Macdonald, M D'Ambrosio, E Richards, S Flanders

4: J Kelly, J Cameron, C Rayner, H McCluggage, P Cripps, H Young, J Ginnivan, L Neale, N Martin

5: J Horne-Francis, J Daniher, G Miers, B Keays, D Moore

6: N Daicos

8: M Bontempelli

11: I Heeney, C Warner

We need players like this. We're getting one (Baker) and it's hard to argue we shouldn't get another (Warner) if he's in any way available.
In a better team I believe Kelly is still this sort of player, we have Reid and I think Hewett will be this too once he gets his fitness sorted.

We can only fit so many of these guys in the side, Sydney got exposed a bit with having too many of these types running/offensive mids going through their midfield in the grand final.

Swapping Kelly out for Warner though would be an ideal situation

And if Warner leaves along with Parker Swans will chase picks PLUS a ready made player to boost centre square clearances.

It's the area they were totally smashed in the GF.

So Kelly would be a great addition if Warner moved. Kelly also a pretty d3cent half forward. Swans get a player who can rack it up and impact immediately next season. Plus use pick 3 on a gun mid.
They have Cleary and Sheldrick for inside hard ball gets players. I suspect those 2 will be part of the changes U see the swans make I'm there midfield next year. I recon Taylor Adams will be playing some VFL next year.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure what people's angst is over trading baker in. Sure he's not a first round pick player but if we can get him for a 2nd rounder or third he is a good player and in the age bracket we need.
If you look at his highlights from 2023 there is enough to suggest he is going to help us get better.

Not sure what people's angst is over trading baker in. Sure he's not a first round pick player but if we can get him for a 2nd rounder or third he is a good player and in the age bracket we need.
If you look at his highlights from 2023 there is enough to suggest he is going to help us get better.

I think the biggest angst is that we are know for giving overs & accepting unders in player trades over last 5 or so years.

And this draft is one where picks are more valuable than other years and all signs seem to be pointing more of the same.

Granted people might be jumping at shadows, but the possibility of paying overs for Baker isn't good.

The angst is categorically the price. For a F3 I don’t think there would be many arguments. However if a 1R is involved then a large degree of angst would be expected and justifiably so.

I think ppl are just worried we may have to pressure and use pick 13. I'd like to think we're smarter than that....

On Tradies they noted that McQualter was pissed at Richmond when he left as he found out via the media that he didn't get the job.

And they floated the idea of him taking a hardline and walking Baker through the pre-season draft, ingratiating himself with the Eagles faithful.

100-1 that's not going to happen, but if it did, I'd be ingratiated as ****

It's not bringing him in that's the issue. It's the cost vs short and long term benefits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No real problem with the Baker speech. After the president speech pretty much targeted him imo.

Wasn’t great but play on, that and hopefully along with McQualter leaving the Tigers on bad terms we now draw a line in the sand and it’s pick 23 and move on

On Tradies they noted that McQualter was pissed at Richmond when he left as he found out via the media that he didn't get the job.

And they floated the idea of him taking a hardline and walking Baker through the pre-season draft, ingratiating himself with the Eagles faithful.

I don't understand why the PSD is not a genuine threat from us while we're at the bottom? Pay unders for Baker or walk him to the draft. Like Pyke said earlier in the year, we need to use all avenues available to us to improve our list.
Richmond won't take Baker at #1 ahead of us because of the fallout it would have with the AFLPA, let alone the message it would send to the rest of their list about how the club values them.

dead poets society GIF

Wondering if Mini may attract interest from any Dees players to come across?

Or get Bolton's attention.

People will hate this but with the Barrass trade and potentially Kelly we would actually have the trade capital to land two of Warner, Boltonor Kossie now.

Pick 3 and 13

Future pick 1 and Hawks F1st

Kelly.

With some later picks involved coming back to us.

Even then if Kelly also left we may still hold a 1st rounder to use as well.
Don’t hate it at all. Ideally shuffle some picks and retain a first rounder.

I can’t make my mind up on Bolton.. turning 26 and will cost a bit, would definitely be handy over next couple of years in his prime but we are still building.

Not sure about the rumor that Bolton and Baker don’t get along or if that has any influence.

Kozzy and Chad are the perfect age at 23 and 24. Kozzy is aggressive which we need, just has to stop jumping off the ground trying to decapitate blokes.

I don't understand why the PSD is not a genuine threat from us while we're at the bottom? Pay unders for Baker or walk him to the draft. Like Pyke said earlier in the year, we need to use all avenues available to us to improve our list.
Richmond won't take Baker at #1 ahead of us because of the fallout it would have with the AFLPA, let alone the message it would send to the rest of their list about how the club values them.
Could be done if we wished. $1.5 on his for 1 year. Tigers ain’t touching that and when he gets to us we just smooth out the deal for the next 4 years to level out what we think he’s worth.

Just not worth it imo. Can find a decent trade if needed. Might be a 3 way trade with points and picks ect with Brissy for pick 18.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back