List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
well dees can just say get f**d, given oliver still has, what 5 years to run ?
Just a guess, I reckon Melbourne will want Oliver gone.

Don't know if they're doing a club review, but surely they can see there's a lot wrong with their club.

If I was a draftee, I would doing what NBA draftees have said for years, I don't want to be drafted to ... (insert team name, usually Sacramento).

Do we not just go to Sydney or whoever comes second in the race for pick 12 and offer 13 for whatever they were offering, their f1 + whatever, 17+f1/19 from Sydney ill use as the example

If thats the going rate, it sounds like it shouldnt be an issue to find a more suitable pick for Baker
Yeah issue isn’t they haven’t gone into depth about what the extras would be. At this stage they are saying future first for pick 12 swap is a starting point. Atm North sound like a buyer which will be hard to top.

Besides the Pies who are trying to put it in the Noble trade but don’t want to include their future first atm due to a father son next year.

if we get a rumoured future first for TB added into that trade, we should just get Richmond as part of their negotiations with the Suns in the Rioli trade to include the Suns taking the Hawks F1 for pick 12. Then work out the steak knives.

Suns - Hawks F1 + Rioli (for Pick 6 + 12)
Richmond- Pick 12 + pick 6 (for Rioli, Baker and 29)
Eagles- Baker + 29* (for Hawks F1)

Way overs for Rioli and Baker but for some reason it sounds like that’s where the narrative is going.

Issue is we would have to get the TB + F2 for 13 and F2 done before the next part can be done.

There also has been a narrative that if Richmond get 6 or 7 picks before 21 that they might prefer some future first round picks.

Bailey smith only wants to go to geelong because he saw how quickly stengle got off passing out after a bag

I'm going to leave the Baker outrage for now as I still hold out hope Clarke and co will do some good wheeling and dealing for us.

So I'll turn to my next outrage, the AFL and deciding where our second pick will likely land (excl Barrass & Baker deals).

1-18: Natural draft selections
19: North Compo
20: North Compo
21: Ashcroft bid
22: Lombard bid
23: Kako bid
24: Marshall bid
25: Battle compo
26: Perryman compo
27: Richmond round 2
28: North round 2
29: us poor suckers

Now not to cry woe is me again but this system is totally stuffed when one of the two equalising mechanisms set up for the comp, purely advantages teams that are poor, sorry "development market" teams or by rewarding teams to encourage their best 22 players to leave, like McKay, like Frawley, like Daniher. Like even if you don't want your players to leave, you still get rewarded like Battle, like Perryman, etc.

How a team like us that doesn't have a player retention or culture issue where players want to stay (I mean just shoot us!) and just go through the development curve like a salary cap/draft system is designed to do and be penalised for it has me beat. Let's also remember we haven't been kissed on the Daicos/Ashcroft/Jamarra weener with a freebie that sets us up for the next decade.

With that rant over, did someone say Priority pick?????

I think we're about due for some kent to make a BEDWETTING accusation!

Will Smith Punch GIF by Xavier Degraux

Are we allowed to melt yet or are posters still pretending like our club has a spine?
There is a few who think its only FAIR that we trade the picks we get for Tom Barrass to get Mr Baker. (we could yet touch our toes as usual and take pick 30 and a future 4th round for Tom) if the trade and draft team get pick 13 and Hawthorns F1 for Tom, well done them. However the true test is if they can hang on to the picks. But I am absolutely sure certain posters will think that is not a FAIR. We need to be nice in the way deal with other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if 13-18 and 23-29 slides/upgrades (both) for Baker would be palatable.

Is slightly better than 13-21 (plus 18 is a first round selection which always helps with future year’s trading), but then 23 is pushed back 6 spots.

Tigers probably want an additional pick rather than 2x small/medium upgrades, but it may be the best of both worlds for the clubs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why would that be in our interests. Baker maybe AFL standard but he is not a going to win games for you. Harley, perhaps Hewitt and this years 3rd and 13th pick might.

I'll admit, my man was looking shaky for a hot minute, but having danced his way out of the world's most generous NDA, Phil's bit about being pulled off the Richmond job is yet another masterstroke from the itinerant raccouentur.

Like the seasoned detective pulled off the case after one last job, he has positioned himself just beautifully to both remain in good standing on this board after the fallout, and to lay the foundation for his next chapter of backroom fracas and spirited dissent.

This is peak posting performance, one of the masters at work.

Pick 13 for Baker + Alex dodson (Ruck)

I mean I can see something like that happening. We do need a ruck and he's the best ruck on the draft similar to Harry Barnett (but it would be okay to roll with it again)

Last edited:
Pick 13 for Baker + Tom Dodee (Ruck)

I mean I can see something like that happening. We do need a ruck and he's the best ruck on the draft similar to Harry Barnett (but it would be okay to roll with it again)

Tom Doedee is a defender who plays for Brisbane - well sort of, just had to recover from an ACL

The name you’re searching for is Alex Dodson

“We’re not giving away the farm”: Eagles CEO set on holding draft capital amid influx of trade rumours​

Yeah right and yet all roads and comments about pick 13 lead back to Pyke.
No response to WC asking for a priority pick, probably means he didn't want to ask. Ego too big, maybe?

Let's model our club on the bottom team and poach their coaches, players and game plan.
I have no confidence in WC management nor recruiting staff. Zero 0000000000

Tom Doedee is a defender who plays for Brisbane - well sort of, just had to recover from an ACL

The name you’re searching for is Alex Dodson
Thank f**k someone deciphered those hieroglyphs.

Think we’d be better off offering pick 21 to Freo for Knobel and pick 27 if we’re going to go down that path. Comes with an extra two years development and pick 27.

A guy called the rumour king has mentioned we have touched base with Brayden Pruess as a potential rookie pickup….

Will either miss the season injured , suspended or injure others at training

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Anyone able to jailbreak this or is it just more WoodCOCK nonsense?
Out-of-contract midfielder Jai Culley is on the radar of several rival clubs as he awaits to find out his fate at West Coast.
The West Australian understands Culley was in talks for a contract extension before the Eagles parted ways with coach Adam Simpson in July which put it on hold. Culley is one of five Eagles alongside Josh Rotham, Luke Edwards, Coby Burgiel and Alex Witherden awaiting to find out their fate after the appointment of Andrew McQualter as coach on Monday.

Rotham is an unrestricted free agent and has drawn interest from interstate clubs after 72 games in eight seasons including 13 this year. Witherden played 18 games this season and averaged 17 disposals, while also playing as a third tall defender having crossed from Brisbane in late 2020. Burgiel is yet to be offered a new contract after struggling with hamstring injuries in his two seasons at the club since being drafted with pick No.29 in the 2022 draft. Edwards’ career is at a cross-roads after he finished the season on the sidelines having sustained three concussions this year — the final coming in the round 20 western derby.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back