List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably going to be called a bedwetter but its possible the reason that some journalists are adament that pick 13 is included is that a deal has already been agreed to in principal and that was the crux of it.
The talk was Baker was holding off nominating a club until he knew a trade could be facilitated. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

If 13 is included I hope its more then just 21 back. Maybe one of their picks in the 40's to get ahead of a champion bid.
Baker + 21 + 41 for 13 & F4. They've got 3 x 3rd rounders, surely they can give one up.
Theyre not adamant, theyre using words like "expect" and "should".

Welcome Bo Allan.
Let the melts begin in here.

Actually I don’t know why he’s so unpopular in here. Is it because some see him as a threat to be taken instead of Tobie?

I question his skills by hand and foot and whether he can transition into a midfielder.

If we are going to spend a first rounder on a Mid/Def hybrid, I want that player to have a combination of elite footskills and speed. That way, if the player doesn't develop into a midfielder he will still be an effective attacking HBF.

Not saying he doesn't have other strengths, but we are well stocked for moderately skilled non KPP defenders.

We can control if it’s pick 22 or pick 39. Handshake deal to bump the salary to give them a better pick

Yep, several people don't seem to understand this.

Pretty sure Hawks/RFC did it with the Vickery FA compo and ensured it would be P27 or whatever.

Personally I wouldn't be trading 13 to RFC if I was WCE. I'd take a couple of picks in the early-mid 20's though.

Alternatively, could WCE trade Graham in? Will taking him impact any Darling Compo? Trade would mitigate that. I'd do Baker + Graham for P13.

Yep, several people don't seem to understand this.

Pretty sure Hawks/RFC did it with the Vickery FA compo and ensured it would be P27 or whatever.

Personally I wouldn't be trading 13 to RFC if I was WCE. I'd take a couple of picks in the early-mid 20's though.

Alternatively, could WCE trade Graham in? Will taking him impact any Darling Compo? Trade would mitigate that. I'd do Baker + Graham for P13.
Darling isn't a free agent - contracted for next year so it will be a trade

redirect to resident cage rattler and breaker WCE_phil

I am sure I "read" somewhere we offered a 2yr deal. Not having a coach is difficult for some of these players who want clarity on role. McQualter would have to conjure one up.
Yeah Sam Edmund reported last Wednesday on trade bell he had 2 year offer from Eagles and Dogs sitting in front of him. Eagles could out price the Dogs if they wished.

Josh Gabelich does seem closer to the situation reported that he has 2 years in front of him from the Dogs. He is Ports plan B and might land there if they miss on Richards.

He said Eagles interest has dropped off a little but if either WA club offered him a deal he thought Riley would take it. He said today Eagles are one to watch but no offer yet. Maybe if Dev doesn’t come or Graham stays at Richmond?

Yeah I was never actually saying Bo is ahead of TT or that we should take him, I was asking why he seems a little on the nose in here at times.

I mentioned him mainly because if we are playing a high intensity chaos ball type game then that really suits his game. He brings lots of effort, tackling pressure and speed to the table which suits that type of game.

I know people will say that’s Ginbey 2.0 but if they watch enough of him he is quite different in many aspects to Reuben. I quite liked his finals efforts for Peel, he didn’t rack up huge numbers but he played his part.

I don’t think he’s very different to Ginbey at all, both were physically ahead of others in their draft year, both struggle to accumulate a lot of the footy, both are reactive rather than proactive, both of their skills are subpar at best and that’s probably being generous, both play with a high level of tenacity though.

I just think there are several better and more suited prospects to us than Allan who looks a better defender than a midfielder but also is not the type of defender we need.

Even in a best case scenario where he ends up being a good midfielder, I still don’t see him having a great outside game, being a goal scorer or very damaging forward of centre.

Thanks for clarifying that.

WCE fans happy to let him go? I know he's had a few lean years but I've always rated him as a player.

Happy enough for him to go in the circumstances.

We would all melt if he got another year because we have two KPFs who we rate waiting in the wings (J Williams and A Reid).

Club legend. If he wants to get a couple more years of playing how could we begrudge him that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE fans happy to let him go? I know he's had a few lean years but I've always rated him as a player.

Most eagles fans are over the moon with him leaving, we have a few talented key talls coming through in Jack Williams, Archer Reid and Ryan Maric that need games and Darling has been taking up a spot for the last 2 years, and it’s not like we need any experienced talls to show them the ropes as we have Allen and Waterman.

He is still a reasonable player and afl quality too as seen with his best on ground performance late in the season .

He just needs to step aside so our young key forwards can get a game . He isn't prepared to play wafl so asked for a trade .
He will do well at norf . He is a smart forward and good kick for goal

There are only so many fringe mids we can have on a list.

Its one thing when they are genuine kids. But Garcia is 23.

If Garcia's agent is smart, he would have already said to him

"look Riley, you may get into the midfield rotation at times at the Eagles in 2025. But they will also have a fresh pick 3 they will want to roll through there, and after most likely another bottom 4 year there, they either get in Chad Warner, or they get in another pick 1-4 midfielder. So by 2026 you are behind Reid, Yeo, Kelly, Hewett, Pick 3 2024 and pick 4 2025 or Warner. Even if you are the better player now, where they are at they will want to play the kids 20 and under before you. If they need pinch hitters through the midfield, they will have Baker and Graham. By the time Yeo and Kelly have retired, you are 26, their new generation of mids are now ready to take their place and you have gone nowhere".

It not that he wouldn't be a handy pick up for 2025, but if we haven't already selected the players to blast straight past him by 2026 and 2027 we aren't serious.

I'd imagine any agent with a non-established gun mid around the ages of 23-25 with a contract from another club in front of them would be telling them to steer clear of us.

Yeo and Kelly gone in 3 years. Hewett has massive questions on his foot issue.

Our midfield depth is close to non existent. Even Richmond has more depth.

And you think his manager would steer him away from the Eagles because of a lack of opportunity? Really?

Very few draftee mids impact like Harley did.

Yeo and Kelly gone in 3 years. Hewett has massive questions on his foot issue.

Our midfield depth is close to non existent. Even Richmond has more depth.

And you think his manager would steer him away from the Eagles because of a lack of opportunity? Really?

Very few draftee mids impact like Harley did.

Which is why this draft and trade is simply about adding Midfielders. Whatever we do load up on them.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back