List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeo and Kelly gone in 3 years.

Our midfield depth is non existent. Maybe Richmond has less depth.

And you think his manager would steer him away from the Eagles because of a lack of opportunity?

Very few draftee mids impact like Harley did.
Does Garcia push out Hewett/Reid/a potential mid with pick 3 and Warner/top 4 pick next year?
Thats 3-4 accumulator/offensive mids.
Hes fighting Baker/Long/Hutch/Brockman/our NGA kids for a half-forward spot

Garcia isnt your big body defensive mid who youd throw in there to complement those types of players either. A Dev/Graham/Hall type would be more suitable id imagine.

Next 2 years Yeo and Kelly are still around competing for a spot too, he and the eagles wont know for sure whether Yeo and Kelly are still in the middle in 2026.

Thats the situation he would be facing, hes far from guaranteed a midfield spot in 3 years time

Bit harsh on the history bit............. you clearly missed our 2001 golden era of Trent Carroll, Greg Harding, David Sierakowski, Mark Merenda and Michael Prior, they just showered the oppo with their talent.
Merenda was a big talent, injuries slowed him down in think

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeo and Kelly gone in 3 years. Hewett has massive questions on his foot issue.

Our midfield depth is close to non existent. Even Richmond has more depth.

And you think his manager would steer him away from the Eagles because of a lack of opportunity? Really?

Very few draftee mids impact like Harley did.

The impact is irrelevant.

If we are giving maybe at best afl standard footballers like Garcia games ahead of the likes of Hewett and Sid Draper in 2026 then we have bigger problems than not chasing hard the likes of Riley Garcia.

for a team not competing for finals, a highly rated teenager will be played before a 24 year old fringe player every time. As they should.

We have no need for him after next year except as break glass coverage. If we weren’t getting Baker and Graham it may be different, but we are. The manager would know this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Daniher retired trade radio discusses possible replacements. Jenkins mentioned Bailey Williams……
Thats me driving B Williams to the airport
Speeding Watch Out GIF

Crowd potentially getting ANB, Peatling and Cummings without giving up a first rounder this year or next you would think is good business.

In that note I’d rate baker around the same as ANB and peatling going off this years form and they both fetch second rounders imo so baker would be of a similar value
Baker imo has a little more value than all of those mentioned, maybe on par with Cummings if he stayed on the park.

increasing their floor of their best 23, while also using pick 4 to increase their ceiling is good business.

Will be interesting to see where they see Peatlings value. Future 2nd?

Last edited:
If the general consensus is don’t trade 13 for baker, why wouldn’t we offer Hawks F1, which you can safely assume is going to be higher than 13 given they’re on the up and adding TB and battle.
I like 3 + 13 + culley + for 6 + 9 +47 + Baker trade .

With the steak being Richmond landing band 3 ( pick 22) for Graham

We then send pick 47 to Brisbane for Robertson.

Baker imo has a little more value than all of those mentioned, maybe on par with Cummings if he stayed on the park.

increasing their floor of their best 23, while also hoping pick 4 increases their ceiling is good business.

Will be interesting to see where they see Peatlings value. Future 2nd?
All above are solid b or b plus players you pay late teens to mid twenties for. Good players not superstars.

Peatling for F2 seeems about right

The inability to get anyone in besides Liam Baker has been shambolic really. We are basically at North Melbourne levels here

If as rumoured the Tigers are keen on getting 2 top 3 picks, and they offered us pick 6+something to get it done, assuming FOS, Draper and Smith arent there at 6 do we just take TT?
I would but thats just me.
We keep lowballing ourselves, while the largely Vic media highballs the value of guys leaving Vic clubs for interstate clubs and assumes the deals will just get done.
IMHO, neither Rioli or Baker are worth 6 or 13 as touted. Rioli is an outside seagull with very poor contested ball/defensive stats and not worth any more than GC Pick 20, and it is around the same mark for Baker. To provide a comparison, who would give up Pick 6 or 13 for Duggan? I suspect not many, and yet his stats are comparable or better than Rioli and Baker last season and over their careers. Pick 6 might be a starting point for someone like Lachie Whitfield who is elite/above average in most areas.

Now, most of the Vic media seem to think its a formality that Richmond will get everything they want to regenerate quickly, well we should be proactively trying to improve our hand while limiting Richmond's draft hand.

I'd rather give our F1 to GC to extract 6, rather than give up our pick 3 in this year's draft. It also looks as though GC may have 3 potential first round academy kids, including a potential No. 1, to match for in 2025. Due to changes to points and and discounts for 2025 they can't match those with junk picks like they did in 2023, they will need to bank early picks to get the points.

So, offer our F1 & 23 for 6, 12. If we finish in the bottom 3 in 2025, the points will either favour GC or be equal. Assuming we get 13 for Barrass (and Hawks F1) we'll then have 3, 6, 12, 13, 59, 77 and still have a 1st rounder in 2025.
Alternatively, offer F1, 13, 23 for 6, 12, 20, 46. Use 20 on Baker and take to the draft 3, 6, 12, 46 & 59

That is a much better result and leaves GC with 13 for Rioli (Still overs IMO) and ample points to match for their academy kid Lombard plus drafting someone else.

If Warner did become available this year, we would be in a good place to compete with Freo, because Freo have the Bolton deal to get done... if he doesn't then we may have to rethink. Hopefully, some of our other fringe players may attract 2nd or third round picks?

Attachments

• Rioli v Duggan Key Stats Career.jpg
    Rioli v Duggan Key Stats Career.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Rioli v Duggan Key Stats 2024.jpg
    Rioli v Duggan Key Stats 2024.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 38
  • Baker v Rioli.jpg
    Baker v Rioli.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 37

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season