List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:

The biggest issue with FA compensation is that it punishes clubs that have their players in contract. If TB wasn't in contract we would be getting pick 4, but because he's in contract it's 13 and something on top. I think all compensations should fall at the end of the round allocated.
scrap FA compo completely.
"AWWWW YOU FAILED TO RETAIN A PLAYER?? :( HERE LET ME MUMMY AFL KISS THE BOO BOO :D"
absolutely ******ed bollocks. the compo for losing a player is a free list spot and salary cap space.

Surely the price for Barrass just has to be a top 5 pick, which the Hawks obviously don't have, or two firsts. They can have an F3 if they really want it. Their deal values Battle at pick 8 so that's the value now.

Well we don't have any priority picks so can only presume that we didn't because no chance we wouldn't have been given something.
Said it in the priority picks thread that this is the time west coast need to play this out through the media .

If we get knocked back we ask why and its put on the public record.

Because in 2 years time Richmond will be asking for PPs

Said it in the priority picks thread that this is the time west coast need to play this out through the media .

If we get knocked back we ask why and its put on the public record.

Because in 2 years time Richmond will be asking for PPs
Someone needs to get Pyke on the spot and ask him why not if he isn't going to announce/ask about it himself

And take ourselves out of the Warner equation next year, not worth it. Dont think Richmond do that either.
why would that take us out of the Warner equation?

Hawks f1 and our 2026+2027 first picks, then we could even just play it like Geelong and offer hawksf1+ change for Warner.

We would be far from out

The minute we have a free agent to sell the AFL are going to review and dilute their compo calculation.
They already did that the year Scott selwood left . We didn't match because the contract was supposedly worth band 2 .

The afl came out and said they tightened the requirements and we got band 3 .

The fallout after that the afl had to tell the teams what the compo was before the other club let them go .

why would that take us out of the Warner equation?

Hawks f1 and our 2026+2027 first picks, then we could even just play it like Geelong and offer hawksf1+ change for Warner.

We would be far from out
Fair point but the longer this goes on and the fact the club hasn't shown the spine to publicly request priority picks if not for the picks sake then at least accountability on the AFL's behalf, the less and less confidence I have that they will show any spine in the negotiation with Hawthorn over Barrass, so I can see us getting shafted and no F1.

A free agent leaving is essentially a salary cap rebate the following year. Why the f do we need to involve a draft pick. If you lose an absolute superstar player, you essentially rebate 1 million a year to attract someone else- that should be your compensation.

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest issue with FA compensation is that it punishes clubs that have their players in contract. If TB wasn't in contract we would be getting pick 4, but because he's in contract it's 13 and something on top. I think all compensations should fall at the end of the round allocated.

Would it be with his age and short contract?

Would it be with his age and short contract?

4 with a trigger for a 5th is short now?

I mean it’s not Mac Andrew but come on.

Get rid of all compensation picks - it’s a ridiculous situation - BUT allow clubs to trade players when/where they want to and waive contracts. Get real about free agency.

The compo is the ONLY thing the clubs have these days - it’s all to the advantage of the player - something has to give.

FA compo needs to stop now, or the recipient team needs to pay up with a draft pick.
Imagine having to bundle picks together ala f/s & academy matching to equal the value determined by the AFL. 😂
Knowing our luck, by the time we can benefit from it, it will already be gone.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back