List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is 6 afraid of 7?
Big Sean Omg GIF

What a load of crap!!!!! Seriously whoever was finagling this deal is a complete and utter moron and should be fired and replaced before he bungles the Bolton, Rioli and Baker deals. Pick 42 will blow out to 52 and be borderline useless.

There’ll be no list managers left at this rate.

And come to think of it, why are we the only team that concedes late goals?

So we either had no interest in bumping up Graham's salary (effectively pick purchasing) to give Richmond a better pick which we could use in the Baker deal OR we lack this creativity.
Or we wanted to avoid four years of melts about role players using us as a retirement home and lining their bank balance on huge contracts.

No win scenario, the old trade and draft period.

In last year's Futures game, Xavier Lindsay showed us a glimpse of what he might be capable of as a rebounding defender. Tough in contested situations and elite with his disposal off half back, taking on creative and difficult options and executing with ease. One of the best performed players on the day.

Geez he’s a good kick, would much rather use 14 on him than a butcher like baker. Our team could really use an elite kick out of defence/on the wing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I'm coming off belligerent when it comes to him, and I dont mean to since we clearly agree on the prospects much more than we disagree, but in what world is Travaglia's disposal so great, or better than (eg) Duggan's? I like him as a high urgency, metres gained player but he's hardly a surgeon by hand or foot. Lindsay yes.
Not belligerent, just a different opinion.

Firstly, Travaglia is an excellent decision maker. He is a penetrating kick but I wouldn’t call accuracy elite so on that specific point I see where you’re coming from. However he makes up for this by usually kicking within himself (which is part of decision making) so ends up nailing his short kicks. From my viewing in person and from footage when he kicks long he tends to kick into space to advantage which will also be important if McQualter is going with the game plan he’s suggesting.

Regarding his handballing I would absolutely describe it as surgical and among the best in the draft. It’s an ungainly action but it’s VERY effective. Numerous times with the ground ball in dispute he gets first hands to the ball and fires off a handball to the best option. When he’s got time and space his handballing is also very accurate and almost always to the best option.

His defensive work, reading the play and therefore intercept marking is also a highlight. He’s still to grow into his frame but if we drafted him he would walk into our back 6 round 1 IMO and could also push to a wing. I wouldn’t split pick 3 unless Travaglia is part of the plan.

His defensive work, reading the play and therefore intercept marking is also a highlight. He’s still to grow into his frame but if we drafted him he would walk into our back 6 round 1 IMO and could also push to a wing. I wouldn’t split pick 3 unless Travaglia is part of the plan.
My question though is: do you want to be using Pick 3 on a winger, when we need quality pure-blooded mids?

Just curious, obviously Lindsay very good with ball in hand, but what's his running ability like? Had he been able to compete at the combine where would he sit?

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good tank, no issues there whatsoever. Part of the reason he was able to consistently get so many possessions at CTL level throughout the year by getting to contests and to good areas to receive the ball.

Not always as black and white as you imply. You over pay a player, it can create waves in the playing group in the long run.

Tigers getting band 4 is only good news.
Agree 👍

Also Graham and Baker are isolated trades. While manipulating the Graham compo rules so Richmond do a good deal with us for Baker is theoretically possible, it's not risk free.

What's stopping Richmond from happily accepting band 1/2 compo for Graham and then telling us they still want 14 for Baker? Nothing.

We'd then be left with the bag - an overpaid player affecting our salary cap for 4 years + coughing up a high pick for Baker.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back