List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, they went down the tact of "Oh, ANB went for unders because Melbourne were nice'

And of course Baker brings 'toughness' and 'cracks in'. Also won 'most-courageous' a few years ago.

"He doesn't hit 60m kicks like Houston does but, errr, he's tough?"

'As a West Coast supporter, how can you continuously throw up the pick we get for Barrass in almost a straight swap for Liam Baker? Neal-Bullen went for #28 and was contracted for another couple of years, yet Baker is uncontracted and Vic media are suggesting he goes for similar value as Houston."

Any trade where #14 gets chewed up for Liam Baker, an uncontracted player, is vomit-inducing for WCE fans. He should be considered for no more than our current 2nd, or a future pick. Anything else would be a mega fail and Clark's position should immediately be under review.'
that would've been met with "yeah good point.... time for ads"

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t see any situation where the tigers trade out of the top 10 this year and into next years draft. The story of this draft is that the Tigers are going to rebuild in one draft.

Tigers could quite easily be going full Nth mode here especially if they don’t get some of these early picks right that they are going to hold. There is definitely a lot of risk to there strategy.
I guess it depends on their targets and plan. I’d follow the Clarko model with a carte blanche. In this case I’d take best kid at #1 then get the talls in. Even if they traded 6 with their likely picks they should be able to get the best player plus Tauru or Armstrong, both Whitlocks and a plethora of options with picks in the 20s.

Then next year sportbet would have them odds on to have pick 1 and 2 to take another two elite mids, sounds like an ok strategy.

In saying all that you’re probably right.

'As a West Coast supporter, how can you continuously throw up the pick we get for Barrass in almost a straight swap for Liam Baker? Neal-Bullen went for #28 and was contracted for another couple of years, yet Baker is uncontracted and Vic media are suggesting he goes for similar value as Houston."

Any trade where #14 gets chewed up for Liam Baker, an uncontracted player, is vomit-inducing for WCE fans. He should be considered for no more than our current 2nd, or a future pick. Anything else would be a mega fail and Clark's position should immediately be under review.'
Perfectly said

that would've been met with "yeah good point.... time for ads"

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
They actually discussed it for a while but it's worth it because Baker's 'tough' and 'cracks in' according to Campbell Brown. Sounded like he himself was trying to make up reasons.

Elite level bedwetting here

Quiet approach gets you absolutely nowhere in the AFL. St Kilda proved that in the last 2 weeks

I also dont think they are being quiet. I just think they arnt doing jack shit which is the reality im afraid
Quiet publicly is not the same as quiet privately. The examples I provided more than demonstrate that the club is making moves without yelling at clouds.

A strong performance from Sam Lalor who like many others was forced to embrace a change in role for the balance of his team. He played the first half in defense and looked comfortable back there, able to use his physicality to out muscle opponents and picking his moments to leave his opponent and attack the game. In the second half he played his more customary midfield role, dominating at stoppage with his tough tackling and winning four clearances for the half.

Elite level bedwetting here

If pick 14 (which we don't even have as of now, but anyway) is used in the Baker trade, that's a win for Team Yellow.

If we don't get two first rounders for Barrass, that's also a win for Team Yellow.

If we lose Pick 3 that's worth two points to Team Yellow.

Final score will depend on whatever else is thrown in, but the bookies favourite is Team Yellow for now.

UP THE FARKEN DRY SHEETS!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like draft and trade period but geez the last two years have been rough.
Last year it was listening to everyone talk about North and their bounty of picks gifted by the AFL.
This year it’s Tigers and their bazillion 1st round picks gifted by the media.

I hope everyone tells them to get stuffed. I reckon they’re sold on the idea of this big draft haul and these players are pretty much out the door.
If Freo, us and GCS all tell them we are not overpaying, we can put pressure back on them to get some of these deals done.
10 + 30 for Bolton
26 for Baker
13 for Rioli
Take it or leave it, over to you Tigers. You can keep these players who want out and have pick 1+24 in the draft. Or you can be reasonable and take 1,10,13,24,26,30 to the draft.

Wished the supporters had more say, Baker for 2nd round pick only. Huge failure if they give up pick 14. He can stay at Richmond if they are demanding pick 14. He is good but only a short term fix.
Sound strategy for running a football club. Put a poll up on Facebook so the club doesn’t stuff up trade week.

social media facebook GIF

I like draft and trade period but geez the last two years have been rough.
Last year it was listening to everyone talk about North and their bounty of picks gifted by the AFL.
This year it’s Tigers and their bazillion 1st round picks gifted by the media.

I hope everyone tells them to get stuffed. I reckon they’re sold on the idea of this big draft haul and these players are pretty much out the door.
If Freo, us and GCS all tell them we are not overpaying, we can put pressure back on them to get some of these deals done.
10 + 30 for Bolton
26 for Baker
13 for Rioli
Take it or leave it, over to you Tigers. You can keep these players who want out and have pick 1+24 in the draft. Or you can be reasonable and take 1,10,13,24,26,30 to the draft.
These are all reasonable based on the discussions being had

These are all reasonable based on the discussions being had

Yeah, we should try to use the media against them. The longer it goes without any Tigers deals being done, the more likely they cave. They’ve built this up to be a one draft rebuild and now their supporters/media expect them to have a swag of draft picks in a strong draft. If they don’t get anything done, they’ll go into 2025 as the wooden spooners and still have a bunch of disgruntled players instead of high draft picks.

Had some pretty good mail this morning around players wanting to come to West Coast and also an update on TB.

Shai Bolton is keen to come to the Eagles, but has been told that they are finding it too difficult to orchestrate a trade. Dan Butler another one enquired about joining us when McQualter got the job, such was his impact on him during his time at Richmond. Again the club wasn't super keen to pursue this.

TB has bought a house in Melbourne, all but ruling out the chance of him being held to his contract, but certainly not any bitter feelings with the club or the players. He is going away next week with about 10 other players for an end of season trip.

I’m coming around to the idea of pick 14 being used as part of a Baker deal.

Our list is shocking, we need to build our number of quality of players (that aren’t 31+yo) and our depth, which means more senior players and more youth. If we traded a single pick for Baker (24), we essentially lose a second round selection this draft to gain a player. But if we involve pick 14, we lose a pick to gain +1 player and +1 pick. In an even draft I see this as advantageous to keep cycling through the list.

He’s not a superstar, but Baker can bring on field leadership to steer McQualter’s ship to the game day style he wants. We looked completely confused on the field at times this year, so Graham and Baker will greatly help here.

I think he makes Mother Teresa seem like a hardass scoundrel to be honest

Just looks a terrible pickup by us. Not sure what credentials he had for the job anyway. He is the one who left Richmond a wooden spoon mess after all
Mother teresa was a hardass scoundrel

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A strong performance from Sam Lalor who like many others was forced to embrace a change in role for the balance of his team. He played the first half in defense and looked comfortable back there, able to use his physicality to out muscle opponents and picking his moments to leave his opponent and attack the game. In the second half he played his more customary midfield role, dominating at stoppage with his tough tackling and winning four clearances for the half.

If he can play in the backline then don't want him cause that's where he'll end up with us

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back