List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like they’d pretty gladly pick him up again over losing him for nothing. The annual ‘march him to the PSD’ chat that takes place on every single board is great in isolation but just doesn’t happen.

I think pick 13 (14) is too high, but what’s more insane are the BigFooty trade machinations that are detached from reality. They also seem to forget that the players are human beings with lives and families, and that the same set of teams will have to deal with eachother again in future.
If the AFLPA didn't step in to prevent it already then I'm sure he'd only sign a year deal to see him through to AA. If 14 is too high why is it we are always the club that has to accommodate to get a deal done? Geelong do just fine by being absolute campaigners at the trade table. They're about to pay less for a better, 3 year younger former top 10 pick player, if Baker was headed there there's absolutely 0 chance they'd be coughing up pick 14, and they don't need 14 as much as we do.

This talking point has cropped up a bit in this thread, and it’s absolutely farcical.

Imagine Barrass was in the same scenario - uncontracted but not yet a free agent. Nobody in here would accept for one second him signing up on a one year rental, so he can leave as a FA next year.

But the compo might be good, isn’t that worth something? Well no, not against the backdrop of unsettling the whole squad.

So we have Barrass for a year, and he plays over HEdwards. Why are we wasting minutes on this bloke instead of prepping the future, when we know he’s gone in a year? We’re not in win now.

Barrass doesn’t play at all? Oh so we’ve got some guy just getting paid to train and what does that do for standards across the group?

The one year top up contract to rent a bloke before he leaves as a FA is a fantasy, it’s just not how any credible sporting organisation would run.

If the shoe was on the other foot we’d want the deal done now and move on with our pick, get the player where he needs to go, one year is a hell of a long time in footy as plenty can change so we’d want it sorted now.

He’s not signing a one year top up so we can get him for cash only and send Richmond a compo pick.
Yep

If Baker had any interest to leave Richmond as a FA, he would've signed his last contract for 3 years, not two.

It s not going to happen A5.

Mathew Clarke is dead set on acquiring Baker and let's just say that if what I have heard is happening, this board is going to spew with how this deal goes down.

Clarke must still be on a retainer from Richmond, because if my mail is correct, he may as well be doing Richmonds bidding for them.

Sadly it would appear that Clarke is auditioning for the remake of Draft Day except his sticky reads:

Liam Baker No Matter What

View attachment 2136730

This makes me think Clarke openly said Baker is worth a pick in the teens because Richmond is asking for more….

It wont be anywhere near as bad as the Kelly Trade, but it will leave you somewhat flat and shaking your head.
If what I am hearing is true.
Whilst I'm absolutely not a fan of trading out a first rounder for Baker, I'll assume it'll only go through with Pyke's approval. Everything he's done so far appears to be putting the club on the right path.

Don't like it at all but I guess odds suggest Baker will have a career at WCE on a similar length as whoever we'd draft at that pick otherwise.

If the AFLPA didn't step in to prevent it already then I'm sure he'd only sign a year deal to see him through to AA. If 14 is too high why is it we are always the club that has to accommodate to get a deal done? Geelong do just fine by being absolute campaigners at the trade table. They're about to pay less for a better, 3 year younger former top 10 pick player, if Baker was headed there there's absolutely 0 chance they'd be coughing up pick 14, and they don't need 14 as much as we do.
We’re not.

Have a read of oppo boards. Every club think they’re hard done by.

Richmond fans think the AFL hates them. Them. Richmond. 17 home games a year, need an atlas to find Tasmania and Geelong, prime time slots every time they sneeze, Shai Bolton as FA compo for Ty Vickery. And they think the league has it in for them.

Every club thinks they get reamed. Every club thinks the umpires hate them. Every club think they concede the most in red time.

We’re not hard bargain drivers, nobody would claim that, but the trade period is a hell of a lot more cooperative and a hell of a lot less standoffish than people want it to be. These deals don’t exist in the vacuum of one trade, or even one trade period. Realistically, Port and Geelong have the reputations and every other club thinks that their list management team are pushovers. Essendon win the offseason every year and are on par with Gold Coast as the least relevant side in football.

I don’t want to give up 14 for Baker. I think it’s too much. Seems to be heading that way, annoyingly, but the state of the melts about it and the pretending the bloke doesn’t walk into our top 10 players is getting exhausting.

Losing 13, which we don’t even have yet, and is already 14 soon to become 16-18, isn’t my preference. Looks like we’ll miss the chance to draft the next player that everyone can whinge about and want to pay out a few years from now, like all the other mid-teens picks we currently have.

We’re not.

Have a read of oppo boards. Every club think they’re hard done by.

Richmond fans think the AFL hates them. Them. Richmond. 17 home games a year, need an atlas to find Tasmania and Geelong, prime time slots every time they sneeze, Shai Bolton as FA compo for Ty Vickery. And they think the league has it in for them.

Every club thinks they get reamed. Every club thinks the umpires hate them. Every club think they concede the most in red time.

We’re not hard bargain drivers, nobody would claim that, but the trade period is a hell of a lot more cooperative and a hell of a lot less standoffish than people want it to be. These deals don’t exist in the vacuum of one trade, or even one trade period. Realistically, Port and Geelong have the reputations and every other club thinks that their list management team are pushovers. Essendon win the offseason every year and are on par with Gold Coast as the least relevant side in football.

I don’t want to give up 14 for Baker. I think it’s too much. Seems to be heading that way, annoyingly, but the state of the melts about it and the pretending the bloke doesn’t walk into our top 10 players is getting exhausting.

Losing 13, which we don’t even have yet, and is already 14 soon to become 16-18, isn’t my preference. Looks like we’ll miss the chance to draft the next player that everyone can whinge about and want to pay our a few years from now, like all the other mid teens picks we currently have.
Nice melt

There isn't another club that would give up 14 in this situation, at this point of a rebuild. 23 or F2 is slight unders but when a player is uncontracted and has nominated a club then slight unders almost always gets the deal done. It's time we as a club at least try to maximise value, because unlike the rest of the competiton we don't get any handouts.

Clarkes position is list manager and Duane Massey is the recruiting manager. Clarke wouldn’t have the ability to overrule a trade it would have to be agreed on by the recruitment team and verified I’m sure the recruitment team would be arguing to keep 14 if possible. Baker is OOC which significantly reduces tigers bargaining power loads of options pick 25 or f2 pick downgrade plus baker ect.

Clarkes position is list manager and Duane Massey is the recruiting manager. Clarke wouldn’t have the ability to overrule a trade it would have to be agreed on by the recruitment team and verified I’m sure the recruitment team would be arguing to keep 14 if possible. Baker is OOC which significantly reduces tigers bargaining power loads of options pick 25 or f2 pick downgrade plus baker ect.
Kick the **** out already. Clarke. GTFO.

Trade Barrass for 14 + 33 and future 2nd rounder.

On trade 14 and 33 or hawks future 2nd rounder to the Swans for 19 and 22.

Offer Bitchmond 19 for Baker, stand firm on this offer.

Trade 3 and future 1st for 7 and 8. I know it's alot, but I'd rather have 2 bites in this draft. Next year we have some quality NGA and a F/S coming through.

Pick 7: Tobie (Wing/Def)
Pick 8: Allan (Mid/Def)
Pick 22: Lindsay/Gross/Moraes
Pick 26: Mraz
Champion
Baker

Not everyone it going to like this, but honestly think this is pretty decent.

I understand Baker's initial position of 'I don't want to screw over the club that took a chance, rookie listed me and took me to two premierships'. We've pursued him and are somewhat obligated to make it happen, and reports indicate Fremantle was a live chance until very recently.

But it's a two way street. Richmond is under new management - things have changed. Their president was churlish at the B&F and their posturing has been absurd re Rioli and ordinary re Bolton.

West Coast should be fueling the 'unreasonable Richmond' narrative. That's our cover and we should be using it to push back or pull out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back