List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn’t next year’s 1st hold extra value with the draft being so compromised with academy & F/S selections. Eagles & other clubs will know it’s likely to be a bottom 4 pick which won’t really be impacted by those selection's.

It would give clubs a chance at getting a pick in before an academy/FS & essentially double dipping or selling it off for extra points.

In my mind it’s value is ever higher with the way next years draft it looking.

Same scenario last year and we couldn’t find a buyer.

Hold our F1.
If we are supposedly stocking up on future picks for Barrass and moving on 3 for the 12+14(+something surely) thing I think we should definitely try to move our own f1 into this year, bombers just happens to be the only club other than GC who has added incentive to do so

How about this trade scenario (note I'm spit balling to take my mind off the grim reality of what might otherwise be):

Trade 1
West Coast give Barrass and our F2nd
Hawthorn give their F1st, Carlton's F1st and Carlton's F2nd

Trade 2
West Coast give pick 3 and Hawthorn's F1st.
Richmond give Baker, picks 10 and 18 (both from the Bolton trade)

Trade 3
West Coast give our F1st and Carlton's F1st. West Coast receive picks 7 and 15.
St Kilda give pick 7 and 8. St Kilda receive our future F1st, pick 16 and pick 21.
GWS give pick 15, 16 and pick 21. GWS receive pick 8 and Carlton's F1st.

Outcome
From what they currently hold West Coast give up Barrass, pick 3, their F1st and downgrade (likely) their F2nd to Carlton's F2nd.
West Coast receive picks 7 (Draper/Smillie/Langford), 10 (Travaglia/Tauru), 15 (Lindsay/Trainor/Hotton/Allan), 18 (Lindsay/Berry) and 26 (Hynes/Oliver) along with Baker and presumably Champion.

Last edited:
Using media rumours as a guide could this be a possibility:

WCE trade pick 3 to Blues for 12, 14, Owies - 12 and 14 linked via multiple sources and Owies has met with us according to fox sports.

WCE trade 14 to Syd for 19, 22, F3 - has been mentioned by foxsports that Sydney has tried to get GC pick 13 and Blues pick 14.

WCE trade 19 to Rich for Baker – Ralph stated the value for Baker is between 15 and 20, Clarke mentioned similar.

WCE trade Barrass, F3 to Hawks for Hawks F1 and Blues F1 – We supposedly rejected a 14 and F2, and the value of present first round draft picks is worth more than future first round draft picks. Hence the two future firsts. Hawks got additional F2 from there trade with the Blues so they will feel their overall net return is profitable.

From media rumors WCE receive: 12, 22, Hawks F1, Blues F1, Baker, and Owies

Then not rumoured but could be a win:

WCE trade F1 to GC for pick 6 and 23
GC then can trade our F1 to the Tigers for Rioli and later picks for points GC need.

WCE end up with 6, 12, 22, 23, 26, 63, 68, Hawks F1, Blues F1, Baker, Owies, Graham
WCE lose 3, F1, F3, Barrass

Gives us 5 picks in that top range Clarke mentioned, points for Champion, and we get publicized trade targets.

Brings a tear to my eye reading mega trades like these.;):cool:;)

TRADE SCENARIO :fire:

West Coast
Lose: Darling
Gain: Darling

Norf

Richmond

Hawthorn

Who says no?

1728724817492.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea whats been said in there in the last 10 pages because every time I check back on the thread there's 20 pages to read.

I feel like 14 was a fair offer for Barrass. If we were going to use that pick in the draft then this year in particular there is an above average chance we pick up a a grade kid who plays 200 games for the club. It's ****ing insane that this can't get it done for our number 2 key defender who's 29 and desperate to leave the club.

That said, it is even more insane that this club is even speaking to Liam Baker or the Richmond football club if pick 26 can't get that done. If Fremantle are willing to pay 18 for him then that offer has to go through. Likewise if someone offered us something better than Hawthorn offered us for Barrass then that has to get done as well.

No matter what happens, it feels like Liam Baker in a West Coast jumper is going to be one of the most idiotic things the club has ever done. To anyone who says the deal hasn't happened yet so why melt over it. The deal hasn't happened because the absolute most we can afford to pay [and I wouldn't even pay pick 26 for him] has been rejected. And that's ruined how many other opportunities already?

Take pick 3 and pick a player, trade if forward into next years draft, or split it. Do not use it in any shape of form to get Liam Baker to this club.

Take an earliest first rounder we can get, from any Melbourne club, for Tom Barrass and use it in the draft. If we aren't interested in doing that then Barrass should be going nowhere.

End of story.

Now if I'm putting together a wish list of what I'd like to see before Wednesday, I'm a simple man.

Carlton give us pick 12 for Barrass and we use it to draft Bo Allen. Carlton go on the knock Hawthorn out of finals contention next year and Tom has a fine twilight to his career in the navy blue. I would not even begrudge him another premiership, you'd love to see it in fact.

Liam Baker goes to Fremantle with Bolton for 10, 11, 18. It makes no difference and we still win our next Premiership before they do. Jack Graham runs through Baker in the opening 5 minutes of derby 1 2025 and becomes a cult hero at the club.

We use pick 3 on Fin O and he and Harley each play 300 games for the club and they move in together, get married, and Yasmin Duursma becomes but a distant [though fond] childhood memory.

Carlton give us pick 12 for Barrass and we use it to draft Bo Allen.
MKAmGF9.gif

I don't think the acquisition of Baker/Graham would have played any sort of significant role in choosing McQualter.

But I do think the fact that Backer, Graham and if reporting is correct, Bolton, all wanting to play for the Eagles is highly significant.

Pretty remarkable for them to want to play for a struggling club like West Coast over a 'contender' like Freo because of a former assistant coach. Speaks volumes about the man and very much like the Mitchell - Barrass move.

One thing to note for the Pick 12 + 14 for Pick 3 bedwetters (myself included), Matt Rosa essentially said he has given up trying to trade up their Pick 9.

You’d assume that meant he tried to get Pick 3 off us and given they need to keep picks for this year, you’d assume their offer was Pick 9 + F1 or F2. Or maybe Pick 9 + F1 for Pick 3 + 26. Either way, both much stronger options than 12 + 14.

One thing to note for the Pick 12 + 14 for Pick 3 bedwetters (myself included), Matt Rosa essentially said he has given up trying to trade up their Pick 9.

You’d assume that meant he tried to get Pick 3 off us and given they need to keep picks for this year, you’d assume their offer was Pick 9 + F1 or F2. Or maybe Pick 9 + F1 for Pick 3 + 26. Either way, both much stronger options than 12 + 14.
I think we want multiple picks this year if we were to split 3, hence 9+f1 from essendon not being attractive.

Fair. I far prefer the fantasy scenarios you've been writing about.

Barrass is not worth pick 12 and Carlton don't want him, but its not far off Hawthorn's offer of 14 is it.

Swapping out Barrass at 29 [with a cooked back] for a WA boy in Bo Allen [who looks to me a better footballer than Ginbey, who I like fine] in the middle of a rebuild should be seen as an all time win.

Everything about this trade period is completely insane though. Let's go get 2 first rounders for Barrass and use them for Liam Baker and some Victorian prince whose shoes Bo Allen isn't even fit to polish.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back