List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Would St Kilda be willing to deal for it? Maybe something like WCE trades picks 3 & 26 + future 4th round pick for St Kilda's picks 7, 8, 47 + future 3rd.
Cant see Saints doing this at all. They havent been looking to trade up as far as I know, 3+26 just doesnt get it done.
They might swap 7 for their f1 and do it, but I still doubt it.
That could get the Baker deal done with something like pick 8 + St Kilda's future 3rd for Baker + picks 24 & 51 + Richmond's future 3rd. I think this is fair value for an out of contract 27 year old.
If we gave up 8 for Baker, id want something better than 24 back, if we value baker at 18 for example, we probably need pick 14ish as a minimum back with Baker for pick 8.
Swans have apparently offered 19+22 for pick 13, which is ballpark same value as Baker+24.

We would still have picks 7, 24, 47, 51, 63, 68 (the last 4 of those picks becoming higher once Brisbane bids for academy picks) and a slight improvement on our draft hand for next year.

Would St Kilda be willing to deal for it? Maybe something like WCE trades picks 3 & 26 + future 4th round pick for St Kilda's picks 7, 8, 47 + future 3rd.

That could get the Baker deal done with something like pick 8 + St Kilda's future 3rd for Baker + picks 24 & 51 + Richmond's future 3rd. I think this is fair value for an out of contract 27 year old.

We would still have picks 7, 24, 47, 51, 63, 68 (the last 4 of those picks becoming higher once Brisbane bids for academy picks) and a slight improvement on our draft hand for next year.
We have 3 and 26 now ..why would we go 7 and 24 with some change? ... probably get Carltons F1 for Barrass (likely a top 10 to 12) . Keep 3, offer up Carltons F1 and our F2 for Essendons 9 . Go into the draft with 3,9 and 26 with Baker either at Freo, a third rounder or hello PSD.

Reckon by around 5 or 6 Baker is gonna be a favourite of this Board. Think he’s being criminally underrated by most.
I think he’s only worth a 2R but even if we end up overpaying reckon he’s gonna add a lot to the team next year. IMO he is exactly what the team needs to set standards and show some grit as we start the upswing. I’m looking forward to getting him onboard. Fork knows how it ends up happening though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thinking more about it I agree with you.
He's got some intensity to him & an edge that most of our team lack. We desperately need to change this trend sooner the better.
Woosha was one step towards lifting standards. Need to double down. I'm happy to trade pick in that 16 - 20 range. Or 14 plus maybe a F3 coming back

1 week on and we've gained Pick 68 for Darling.
Trade that pick for Dev.
Split 3
Go to the draft.

View attachment 2139261
Keep 3 and 26 and take them both to the draft. Get another Ferrari with 3 and best available with 26. Hard to predict who will go at pick 1 ,up to 5 kids have a claim on the no1 pick ..let's get one of them.

We have 3 and 26 now ..why would we go 7 and 24 with some change?

Because it lands Baker in the process, and pick 24 just happens to be first pick of the 2nd night of the Draft. Means you have 24 hours to decide who to pick, or can live trade it. A valuable position every Draft.

Because it lands Baker in the process, and pick 24 just happens to be first pick of the 2nd night of the Draft. Means you have 24 hours to decide who to pick, or can live trade it. A valuable position every Draft.
Didnt really work for us last draft. Apparently offers for the pick were pretty average

Sound like he either plays at freo or it's the PSD ... where WC will get him anyway, unless he has a change of heart and happy to stay in Melbourne
I'd be pretty surprised if he ended up in the PSD. Every year there's people calling for clubs to walk players to the PSD but it almost never happens. It's just bad business.

Fully expect him to end up at WCE, we have second rounders to offer.

Nothing top ten should be used or downgraded in order to get Baker
What difference does it make if we trade 3 down to 6+18(for example) and use 18 for Baker while keeping what we get for Barrass, vs trading 3 for 6+18 and using stuff from Barrass for Baker?

No difference at all is the answer.

We will more than likely downgrade pick 3 at this stage, and we will more than likely get Baker.

Holding out hope for a Matt Clarke miracle

West Coast give: Tom Barrass, F2
West Coast get from Hawthorn: Hawks F1, Carlton F1, Carlton F2

West Coast give: 26, Carlton F2
West Coast get from Richmond: Liam Baker

West Coast give: 63, F4
West Coast get from Brisbane: Deven Robertson

West Coast give: 3, Carlton F1
West Coast get from St.Kilda: 7,8

Take 7,8 to the draft, match a bid on Champion

Add Graham, Baker and Robertson via FA / trades

Draft top end mid at 7 and Travaglia or Lindsay at 8

Also pocket an extra F1 for 2025

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WC give 26 and Carlton F2 for Baker

Still a turd of a deal for us

No

This adds 6 players to the list this year, means we have to re-sign 2 of the guys on the question mark pile, probably Witho and Burgiel. Not a disaster by any means, id be keen to give Burgiel another year to see if he can get fit and Witho is ok defensive depth, but just pointing it out.

Would put Culley on the delist/trade pile, we could trade him to Richmond for pick 51(they probably wont use it), or whoever else wanted him to find a potential Witho replacement? Could be a couple of decent kids late in the draft worth a punt, maybe a project KPD?

Would be a good result, we dont really need a bunch of kids this year, we have so many who havent had a proper go at it yet.
Missing on a KPD wouldnt be ideal though, would we draft Travaglia + Tauru as the Gov replacement? Meaning no midfielder :/

Still get a mid next year, either Warner or with our first pick, trust in Hall, Hewett and Reid to develop nicely? Hutch, Baker, Graham and Dev as mature bodies to bridge the gap between Yeo/Kelly and the kids.

Could work.

If we are supposedly stocking up on future picks for Barrass and moving on 3 for the 12+14(+something surely) thing I think we should definitely try to move our own f1 into this year, bombers just happens to be the only club other than GC who has added incentive to do so
Nope that likely top 3 pick has too much potential use for it.

Warner or Will Duursma and what is attached with that in the view to keep
Harley.

Nope that likely top 3 pick has too much potential use for it.

Warner or Will Duursma and what is attached with that in the view to keep
Harley.
Idea is we can get Warner without it, using other picks. Its a risk for sure, if we miss Warner and a top kid next year.
Use 2 other f1s from bombers and Hawks to get Warner. If thats all we have then thats all they can ask for

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back