List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
AFL Talent Ambassador Kevin Sheehan has endorsed suggestions West Coast should split pick three in this year’s draft to get multiple selections in the first round, saying 2024 is looming as one of the best crops in AFL history.

The Eagles currently have pick three after finishing the season in 16th spot but their next selection isn’t until number 26.

West Coast’s hopes of getting more early picks from this season for Tom Barrass took a blow on Friday when Hawthorn traded pick 14 to Carlton. The Eagles are also hoping to bring Richmond’s Liam Baker to the club and will need to use an early pick to get that finalised.

It has been suggested that West Coast could use pick three to entice multiple first round selections from other clubs and that would give them the option of either stocking up on young talent or using one pick at the draft and another for a trade.

Sheehan said there had rarely been this much early talent available to clubs.

“I think you’d take the two for one in this draft if the two were inside 20,” he said.

“We think that depth is there within 20. They’re not falling away too quickly.

“There could be a split there in positions too. There’s a lot of midfielders but gee there’s some tall boys too that I think will be taken in the teens.

“Key position players that can play at either end of the ground are pretty vital. If you can see yourself getting a midfielder plus one of the talls, you might be tempted into doing the two for one.

“We’ve talked of Super Drafts back in the year of Sam Walsh, the King twins and Bailey Smith (2018). That was Super Draft number two. The other year was back in 2001.

“There’s some strong comparisons this could be one of the top three that we’ve had in the last 20-odd years. It’s got great depth in it. It’s a great time to go to market so to speak. Go to the draft, get the new talent in and stock up is what the clubs are all saying.”

Clubs have spent the weekend talking over their options for when AFL House opens again on Monday.

Only two players switched clubs in the first week with Jack Darling moving from West Coast to North Melbourne and Melbourne’s Alex Neal-Bullen becoming an Adelaide player.

Getting deals done for Barrass and Baker will keep West Coast busy this week. Fremantle are attempting to complete a trade for Shai Bolton.

Western Bulldogs pair Bailey Smith and Jack Macrae, Port Adelaide’s Dan Houston, Richmond’s Daniel Rioli, Collingwood’s John Noble, Gold Coast’s Jack Lukosius and Sydney’s Luke Parker are among other players waiting nervously for information about their future.

Clubs have been reluctant to trade their picks this season and Sheehan said this was the first time since league around Australia shut down for COVID that players were entering their draft year without having their development negatively impacted.

“There were a couple of years in different parts of Australia where the boys and girls weren’t able to play their preferred sport. When you read their profiles, they all refer to that as the most challenging part of their lives – to miss their sport over an extended period of time,” he explained.

“From our point of view, they missed that development, coaching that would have occurred and playing against the best from other parts of Australia. They didn’t get that chance. They’re not sure whether they’re good enough for a while either until they get the chance to play at nationals and prove it.

“We’re coming out of that period now so we’re full of optimism as are the clubs that the bunch coming through from ever part are going to add some excitement to our competition.”

Sheehan was in Perth on Sunday to oversee testing for a group of players who weren’t invited to the National Draft Combine. He believed more than 70 players will be drafted this year which is a significant increase on recent seasons.

Sheehan praised the WA development program and said he expects up to 12 players to be drafted, headlined by exciting Peel Thunder prospect Bo Allan.

He said WA had shown there is plenty of reason to be excited about the future.

“I think it’s been terrific. From the doubters earlier in the year who said they’re not too sure to those who will now say there is a good bunch of young people coming through from this part of the world,” he said.

“Bo Allan is right up the top of that. He tested brilliantly last week among the best boys in Australia. In many of the disciplines he was in the top five or six athletically. That backs up his All-Australian form that we saw during the year.”
An AFL employee talking up a draft during trade week.

Kenan Thompson Eating GIF by Saturday Night Live

It would have been so much simpler to get Richmond band 3 for Graham then F2 for Baker.

Have a feeling by the look of other trades Richmond being pricks stopped that deal .

An AFL employee talking up a draft during trade week.

Kenan Thompson Eating GIF by Saturday Night Live
Pleased to hear this is just one of the three super drafts of the century, bloke mustn’t read BigFooty or the AFL website every October.

Oh but NEXT year’s draft 👀👀👀

We are focussed on the draft, the only aging players we are interested in are dirt cheap ones sorry.
So you're not in it to win it then. Middle of the table mediocrity and another 50 years before a flag. Enjoy your day in the nursing home 2060 wondering if you'll ever win one before you die.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pleased to hear this is just one of the three super drafts of the century, bloke mustn’t read BigFooty or the AFL website every October.

2018 wasn't close to a super draft either. There was some good top end talent and then it thinned out.

Is 2001 the only super draft?

So you're not in it to win it then. Middle of the table mediocrity and another 50 years before a flag. Enjoy your day in the nursing home 2060 wondering if you'll ever win one before you die.

Dude, is any of that necessary?? The Saints dudes are here discussing perfectly reasonable trade stances respectfully. Tone it down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go back to super draft 2001 and plug our current picks into who went at those spots. Chris Judd absolutely but otherwise you still as a club need to be able identify talent and develop it.
And have a good laugh at Freo at pick 4 while you’re about it.

Last edited:

Yeah not your best work there chief

I think people from other clubs keep forgetting that we aren't getting multiple picks if we split pick 3. One of those picks are going to Richmond for Baker. Which is a massive over spend.

Just sign off on going to Freo, bro. You're not changing life at the Eagles.

I think people from other clubs keep forgetting that we aren't getting multiple picks if we split pick 3. One of those picks are going to Richmond for Baker. Which is a massive over spend.

To their credit, our own stupidity isn't their fault.

Yep, 7 or 8+Baker is about all we should be expecting for pick 3.

Only way we get more is if we somehow snag 8+13 from the Saints, then split 13 for 19+22 with the Swans, using 19 for Baker.

Gives us 7+22+Baker, thats the perfect scenario pretty much though

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back