List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
They dont have to be insurance. They are kids who we rated highly enough who are yet to get proper exposure to the midfield.
We have already added Graham and are soon to add Baker.
Hewetts latest foot injury was in the opposite foot wasnt it?(or at least an unrelated injury)
Im not saying we never need to draft a mid again, but this year in particular, we dont have to.
This is wild.

so when are we getting darling back
When we give Nth pick 3.

Remember gun key fwds are as rare as hens teeth. Freo also have pick 10,11 & 18 if you weren’t aware and Darling as yet hasn’t nominated a club of choice.

We can’t walk him to the psd either because Nth have pick 2 so it’s no threat really. Tough position for the club.

Sam McClure reckons it won’t happen.

I know we're pretty set on Liam Baker being worth a second rounder, but what's his actual worth compared to previous trades? Will be 27 all season next year, out of contract and a good player.

Alex Neal-Bullen will be 29 all season next year, is a worse player than Baker and went for a second rounder this year.

What small players (not talls) at the same age, ability and contract status have been traded in the last few years and what did they go for?

Not worried about circumstances of team trading in too much. Just trying to compare apples to apples.

So good player (not great), 26 turning 27 at time of trade and out of contract. Go.

They dont have to be insurance. They are kids who we rated highly enough who are yet to get proper exposure to the midfield.
We have already added Graham and are soon to add Baker.
Hewetts latest foot injury was in the opposite foot wasnt it?(or at least an unrelated injury)
Im not saying we never need to draft a mid again, but this year in particular, we dont have to.
Hewett’s foot injury is related (but not sesamoiditis) and is in the same foot. Patience very much required.

We should aim to leave the draft with at least one mid in the top 30, whether it be FOS/Lindsay/Hynes etc. but if we end up with pick 6 or 7 I’m taking Tobie over whichever pure mid is left.

Keep 3
Trade F1 for 6 and 41 with GCS
Trade Barrass & F2 for F1 (HAW) & F1 (CARL)
Trade F1 (HAW) for Baker & F2 (RICH)

2024: 3,6,26,41,62,67
2025: R1 (CARL), R2 (RICH), R3, R4

*Still don’t want Baker, but time to accept it’s happening.
Ugh. I don't like it but this is about as good of an out to this cluster**** as I've seen. Serious wouldn't jump off a bridge anymore areas, well done.

You can have all the elite inside mids you want, but if you dont have a strong half back line that can transition the ball you wont go anywhere.
Geelong are a strong example of no midfield but strong transition game.
Gold Coast, Carlton, and Brisbane of the first couple of months of the year are great examples of sides with strong midfields but no strong half backs that struggled
Yep, regardless of who we have in stock, on the rise, coming through etc - I would say arguably we need at least 1 x walk up elite midfielder, 1 x walk up elite attacking half back and in a perfect world 1 x quality ruckman...forwards not so much. If we secured Graham+Baker then 2 elite backliners would be ideal (fast attacking with laser kicking skills). Happy to replace Cole and Duggan (won't happen). With current trending game style is TB looking more like a dinosaur? Could put TB's head on Duggan's body?
A supercharged V8 corridor! Fantasy time... ;)

The game is played more and more around transition. Our half backs and outside ball users are shit, to put it crudely.
Why do you think Gold Coast, Collingwood, North and Carlton are so desperate to pick up an elite half back this year?
Clubs base their entire playstyle around half back.
You have no idea about list building.

You can't have elite outsiders and half backs in bottom 4 side. You can't have a rubbish midfield and KPP, and then expect to win with elite HBF's and outsiders. All those teams you mentioned have good midfields. GCS and North both have midfields packed with young stars on the up. Collingwood won a flag in 2023. It's just a jigsaw piece for them to be able to transition. Carlton were top 4 most of this year. Also a jigsaw piece. We don't have what they have.

Outsiders can't play without elite insiders. Faren Ray, Aaron Fiora, Tom Scully, Richard Tambling - there's tons of these outside players who couldn't play in weak teams. Transition or not, there's always going to be a lot of contested ball in any game of footy. You have to have elite ball winning midfielders.

Bottom of ladder/top 5 picks: elite ball winning mids or elite KPF
Moving up the ladder/Pick 5-10: same as above, but if you have enough of that, elite SF, elite outside mid
Moving more up the ladder/pick 10-15: elite SF, elite outside mid, KPD (based on need and best available)
During all these drafts you're picking flankers, rucks, and best available with picks outside the first round. Some will be gems, and some of your first rounders might end up of the HBF. Your rucks develop, and if they don't, you grab a 25 year old second ruck who is ready for 1st ruck in a trade.

You don't get your HBF's, outsiders, transition players when you have top 10 picks. You get your elite mids and elite KPF's.

All the clubs seemed to have wised up about picking outsiders when you're bottom 8. Transition footy or not.

Outsiders can't play without elite insiders. Faren Ray, Aaron Fiora, Tom Scully, Richard Tambling - there's tons of these outside players who couldn't play in
Farren Ray, there’s a dude I forgot existed.
Well done

Keep 3

Like it.

Could we not get 6 29 for our F1?

Death riding blue will be fun. Cripps

3 FOS
6 TT
26 hynes/Davies
41 slider?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep 3

Hope that's where the Baker and Barrass trades go but doubt we trade out next year's F1 for no particular reason given the Warner talk and also given that pick 6 seems locked in the Rioli trade.

Like it.

Could we not get 6 29 for our F1?

Death riding blue will be fun. Cripps

3 FOS
6 TT
26 hynes/Davies
41 slider?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’d ask for 6 and 29 but they are going to have some good offers for that pick as we’ve seen with pick 13 so probably lands on 41.

FOS and TT absolutely, 26-Hynes/Oliver ideally but both probably just gone before that so I’d take O’Farrell or Mraz*.

41-Ough/Barrat/Johnson

62 and 67 probably Champion then positional pick, maybe Stumpf or Dennis if available remembering both will come in about 15 picks.

Hope that's where the Baker and Barrass trades go but doubt we trade out next year's F1 for no particular reason given the Warner talk and also given that pick 6 seems locked in the Rioli trade.
All fair points, but GCS are getting sick of Tigers antics. I’d trade it for Tobie and Ough and back us in to rise a couple of spots and get two players a year in advance. Perfectly good counter arguments not to do that though.

Farren Ray, there’s a dude I forgot existed.
Well done
Put these kids into top 4 sides and they look a million bucks. Problem is, top 4 sides rarely have top 10 draft picks. The only recent one that comes to mind is Windsor. Dees somehow snagged a top 10 pick, and with Trac and Fanta could take on an outsider. All the clubs have worked it out - if you don't have a really good midfield, don't bother picking outsiders. Grab them later.

All fair points, but GCS are getting sick of Tigers antics. I’d trade it for Tobie and Ough and back us in to rise a couple of spots and get two players a year in advance. Perfectly good counter arguments not to do that though.
Yeah fair, specifics aside would definitely be a good year to do it.

I know we're pretty set on Liam Baker being worth a second rounder, but what's his actual worth compared to previous trades? Will be 27 all season next year, out of contract and a good player.

Alex Neal-Bullen will be 29 all season next year, is a worse player than Baker and went for a second rounder this year.

What small players (not talls) at the same age, ability and contract status have been traded in the last few years and what did they go for?

Not worried about circumstances of team trading in too much. Just trying to compare apples to apples.

So good player (not great), 26 turning 27 at time of trade and out of contract. Go.

I would argue Neal-Bullen had a better year this year than Baker did
He gone for pick 28 as that was what Crows had and he worth a second rounder
I would rank him around 30 to 35
Baker around 25 to 30

If we trade pick 3

there's no jagga
there's no SID
there's no FOS

etc

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
We need a gun inside or balanced mid and they are in the top six.

All very well to say 2 for 1 but we will miss out on precisely what we need ie an elite midfielder.

Our club has regularly tried to be too smart with pick splitting with limited success.

There are no shortcuts to a quality list - quality talent + quality development.

Last edited:
We need a gun inside or balanced mid and they are in the top six.

All very well to say 2 for 1 but we will miss out on precisely what we need ie an elite midfielder.
Imagine there was no flight risk....

Sheezel or Ginbey and Hewett

I'm taking Sheezel every time. You got to find those guys you can build a side around, and every time you split a pick, you reduce your odds.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back