List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to accept that the board and Pyke don’t have the stomach or courage for a rebuild. It’s why they want Liam Baker in. They want to be competitive next year and win some games.

I think they need to join us in reality and understand that regardless of having the stomach for something or having a opinion, the rebuild and subsequent asswhoopings will happen regardless of Liam Bakers presence

I would argue Neal-Bullen had a better year this year than Baker did
He gone for pick 28 as that was what Crows had and he worth a second rounder
I would rank him around 30 to 35
Baker around 25 to 30
I'm not really after what people value him at, because that's really subjective. More interested in what other players in his circumstances were worth in previous trades.

Neal-Bullen, 2 and a bit years older for an early second would make it reasonable for Baker to be worth a late first, but it's a single data point.

I know we're pretty set on Liam Baker being worth a second rounder, but what's his actual worth compared to previous trades? Will be 27 all season next year, out of contract and a good player.

Alex Neal-Bullen will be 29 all season next year, is a worse player than Baker and went for a second rounder this year.

What small players (not talls) at the same age, ability and contract status have been traded in the last few years and what did they go for?

Not worried about circumstances of team trading in too much. Just trying to compare apples to apples.

So good player (not great), 26 turning 27 at time of trade and out of contract. Go.
given ANB had a couple of years to run on his contract it feels like they are very comparable value wise.
1728820795043.png

I'm not really after what people value him at, because that's really subjective. More interested in what other players in his circumstances were worth in previous trades.

Neal-Bullen, 2 and a bit years older for an early second would make it reasonable for Baker to be worth a late first, but it's a single data point.
Our cupboard is bare. Maybe tge Barrass deal happens and we have an F1 that may end up mid 20s anyway.

They may as well take 26.

Hewett’s foot injury is related (but not sesamoiditis) and is in the same foot. Patience very much required.
Fair enough, not the same but related
We should aim to leave the draft with at least one mid in the top 30, whether it be FOS/Lindsay/Hynes etc. but if we end up with pick 6 or 7 I’m taking Tobie over whichever pure mid is left.
Yeah as you and some others have brought up, Lindsay would be the ideal mid imo, being an outside elite ball user. Pair him with Travaglia and idc what else we get.

Yep, regardless of who we have in stock, on the rise, coming through etc - I would say arguably we need at least 1 x walk up elite midfielder, 1 x walk up elite attacking half back and in a perfect world 1 x quality ruckman...forwards not so much. If we secured Graham+Baker then 2 elite backliners would be ideal (fast attacking with laser kicking skills). Happy to replace Cole and Duggan (won't happen). With current trending game style is TB looking more like a dinosaur? Could put TB's head on Duggan's body?
A supercharged V8 corridor! Fantasy time... ;)
Id add an elite KPD to replace Gov too, but yep 100%

Hope we don't split 3, we need midfielders, more so ball accumulators than play makers that run into space.
Splitting the pick won't fast forward the rebuild just set it back.

If anything we need to test players in plenty of different positions to what they usually play.
I'd like to see Brockman tried in the centre more often next year, where he played with Ryan in the St kilda game I'm pretty sure.
Try Chesser forward.
Get Yeo coming off the back more often

You have no idea about list building.

You can't have elite outsiders and half backs in bottom 4 side. You can't have a rubbish midfield and KPP, and then expect to win with elite HBF's and outsiders. All those teams you mentioned have good midfields. GCS and North both have midfields packed with young stars on the up. Collingwood won a flag in 2023. It's just a jigsaw piece for them to be able to transition. Carlton were top 4 most of this year. Also a jigsaw piece. We don't have what they have.

Outsiders can't play without elite insiders. Faren Ray, Aaron Fiora, Tom Scully, Richard Tambling - there's tons of these outside players who couldn't play in weak teams. Transition or not, there's always going to be a lot of contested ball in any game of footy. You have to have elite ball winning midfielders.

Bottom of ladder/top 5 picks: elite ball winning mids or elite KPF
Moving up the ladder/Pick 5-10: same as above, but if you have enough of that, elite SF, elite outside mid
Moving more up the ladder/pick 10-15: elite SF, elite outside mid, KPD (based on need and best available)
During all these drafts you're picking flankers, rucks, and best available with picks outside the first round. Some will be gems, and some of your first rounders might end up of the HBF. Your rucks develop, and if they don't, you grab a 25 year old second ruck who is ready for 1st ruck in a trade.

You don't get your HBF's, outsiders, transition players when you have top 10 picks. You get your elite mids and elite KPF's.

All the clubs seemed to have wised up about picking outsiders when you're bottom 8. Transition footy or not.
We have competent inside mids, Reid, Baker, graham, Hall, Hutch, and Hewett is enough to work with for 1 more year alongside Yeo and Kelly.
We have grunt and enough bodies to get by.

We have basically 0 strong outside ball users, Maric has a great kick but lacks run, Ginbey can run but isnt a great kick, etc. Not a lot to work with. We also have very little elite in the pipeline for the backline.

Not going into it all again as ive been through it here before. More than 1 way to go about it is all im going to say

We need to accept that the board and Pyke don’t have the stomach or courage for a rebuild. It’s why they want Liam Baker in. They want to be competitive next year and win some games.

I think they need to join us in reality and understand that regardless of having the stomach for something or having a opinion, the rebuild and subsequent asswhoopings will happen regardless of Liam Bakers presence
I disagree - the rebuild is underway, it's been happening for a couple of years now. I'm OK with getting Baker as part of that rebuild.

I'm not sold on the strategy of completely gutting your older players and replacing them all with kids. If that worked, North wouldn't be in nearly year 10 of their rebuild & GC would have played finals. You need some older bodies around them to help their development.

Baker's a solid player, hard at it, a leader, knows what sustained success is, definitely best 22 (& be in any team in the comp).

We've already been bottom two, got a spoon and now bottom 3. We have high end talent coming in because of that. We need some talent between 22-28yo which Baker & Graham bring.

Happy to win a few more games next year and teach the kids what winning feels like.

I disagree - the rebuild is underway, it's been happening for a couple of years now. I'm OK with getting Baker as part of that rebuild.

I'm not sold on the strategy of completely gutting your older players and replacing them all with kids. If that worked, North wouldn't be in nearly year 10 of their rebuild & GC would have played finals. You need some older bodies around them to help their development.

Baker's a solid player, hard at it, a leader, knows what sustained success is, definitely best 22.

We've already been bottom two, got a spoon and now bottom 3. We have high end talent coming in because of that. We need some talent between 22-28yo which Baker & Graham bring.

Happy to win a few more games next year and teach the kids what winning feels like.
I feel like we are at the Jared Polec stage of the rebuild that North did. Feels like we making that same mistake

Top up midfield with best WAFL midfielder as a rookie , might be Rokahr from SD who won the Sandover medal in 2024 , might have done similar in 2023 in the SANFL medal where runner-up in the Magarey medal plus 2022 , runner up .
Consistent often tagged ....surely proven himself Eagles ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hall imo is not very good.
Hewett needs to get his feet/legs right which may never happen.
Yeo is one serious injury from being done and would benefit more from being used as a HBF for large parts of games and brought in as a burst midfielder in short stints.
Kelly is better utilised as a HFF with stints through the middle.
We absolutely need some more high-end midfielders in the next couple of drafts
Tsk tsk tsk! You forgot the Hutch????

I feel like we are at the Jared Polec stage of the rebuild that North did. Feels like we making that same mistake
Maybe I'm being naive and overly optimistic, but I hope not.

We're under new management and we have a plan to balance our list age profile. Happy to back em' in for now.

Mate no offence but you know f*ck all about what Pyke & the board think so stop acting like you do. Your a guy on a online forum who’s entitled to your opinion but stop talking like it’s a fact. Give it a break (You’re also not the only one)

Hawthorn trading out 14 to try and trade back in 13 is like a department in an organisation trying to justify its ongoing existence by making changes that aren't necessary.

"Oh we're taking your old access card off you and giving you a new one. We've replaced the access points on all entrances - you'll no longer need to swipe your old access card through the scanner, but just press your new access card up against the scanner. We've found it to be 0.7% more efficient and it only cost the company $1.3 million!"
Sounds like admin roles creating all this internal work for themselves that contribute nothing.

Can't wait until Liam Baker single-handedly leads us to multiple flags.

WTF are Bitchmond even thinking?

Im just gonna hope we trade our f1 for pick 6+29, and then split 3+29 for 7+13 with the Saints.
Get some future picks for Barrass to keep us in next years draft, 2x f1s for Barrass+f2 idc just get it done.
Trade hawf1 for Baker+f2 from Richmond.
Keep a f1+f2 for next year.

Take 6+7+13+26+Champion in the draft
6-a mid or Tauru(if no mid we really want is available)
7-travaglia
13-Allan/Lindsay
26-KPD if we get a mid at 6, if we got Tauru then take whatever is best available. This will be pick 30+ anyway
Match champion with shit picks

Trade period is easy

To me it’s still a bit weird Bolton hasn’t said he wants to go to freo….
Now regardless of if I want him or not can we trade to the saints for seven and eight and and our future second and then give eight and one of the at rounder future picks we get we get in the barass trade to Richmond….. this is dependant on getting both the st rounders for next year from hawthorn for barass to still leave two first rounders next year for Warner

Don’t do this shit with the numbers again - makes your post even more unreadable than usual which is a low bar to begin with

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back