List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
guys, i get the delisted part of owies, but if he gets delisted, do we 100% get him, or does he go to literaly any of the other 16 clubs as a different trade.
im not happy about it, but i dont know if we could get him for free.

I’m more of a draft guy, haven’t really followed the trade period but heard it’s been a snooze fest as expected.

That first group of 6-7 draft prospects look very good. There’s no way the club would slide further than that if we do split, not at this stage of a rebuild. More than likely we take pick 3 to the draft.

But whether it’s 3 or 6-7, we will get one of the best young mids. Once you start getting outside 10+ it’s less certain. But that won’t happen, the recruitment team aren’t complete idiots after all. So everyone should just relax and not wet the bed etc

(Too soon?)
Was this post meant to be published 24 hours ago?

This mightn’t be particularly popular but …

I’m not as unhappy with the trade as many (read on). However, the first of two things that did annoy me was Baker isn’t worth 14. And it seems we must have - foolishly - promised that to Richmond before we even had it, thus committing ourselves to a bad decision which then somehow had to be honored.

I agree with you to an extent, but Freo had reportedly offered a higher pick than that so that's where the market was set. We couldn't have got him for less, so at that point our hands were tied.

I feel like Clarke has just watched Draft Day, thinking he can get back what he has traded away but failed to realise it was a fictional movie.

I wonder if he wrote his "Liam Baker, No matter what" note

This campaigner gets it.👆
Baffles me why anyone would switch that abysmal shit on. I listened to 20 minutes of it about 4 years ago and put my foot through the dash. Never again.
Fkukwits all of them.

Totally agree................. what you are not talking about the post trade radio interviews by West Coast???

guys, i get the delisted part of owies, but if he gets delisted, do we 100% get him, or does he go to literaly any of the other 16 clubs as a different trade.
im not happy about it, but i dont know if we could get him for free.

Supposedly it was just out of us or GC.

And also supposedly (haven't heard the interview) that it'd be as a Delisted Free Agent (and not for a trade)

I’m more of a draft guy, haven’t really followed the trade period but heard it’s been a snooze fest as expected.

That first group of 6-7 draft prospects look very good. There’s no way the club would slide further than that if we do split, not at this stage of a rebuild. More than likely we take pick 3 to the draft.

But whether it’s 3 or 6-7, we will get one of the best young mids. Once you start getting outside 10+ it’s less certain. But that won’t happen, the recruitment team aren’t complete idiots after all. So everyone should just relax and not wet the bed etc

(Too soon?)
We were all thinking this 2 days ago.

Issue we still have in this draft is that we only have 2 decent picks.
And no later picks to pick up a late gem.
After adding the 3 27 year olds, I think we have 3 spots left on the main list pending more delistings.
4 on the main list still uncontracted plus Culley on the rookie list.
I can't see how Rotham and Edwards survives the cull. Burgiel would need a lot of luck as well.
Meaning by the draft we may have 5 spots, but only 2 decent picks plus Champion.
I don't think we've drafted as few 3 players since the TK trade aftermath, but if we wanna draft a couple more, we have no draft capital this year.
Otherwise we'll have a couple of spots for SSP or rookie draft selections.
Ideally during a rebuild you wanna have as many usable picks as possible, but we've gone the opposite direction.
And we havent really picked up any defenders. With TB, Jones and likely Rotham out and (IMO now unlikely) Witherden as well this leaves the already thin defensive stocks near critical. Maybe Baker can play a back flank, but that's just duplicating Duggan.

I agree with you to an extent, but Freo had reportedly offered a higher pick than that so that's where the market was set. We couldn't have got him for less, so at that point our hands were tied.
If someone offers more let him walk? Picks for us are worth significantly more than they are for Freo. We can’t be letting other teams dictate our decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wrote it on his eyelids and every time he blinked they could see it.

Guaranteed to get your message across

tumblr_o5tjy0Seep1qbwrnuo1_500.gif

And we havent really picked up any defenders. With TB, Jones and likely Rotham out and (IMO now unlikely) Witherden as well this leaves the already thin defensive stocks near critical. Maybe Baker can play a back flank, but that's just duplicating Duggan.
Which was always the case, bakers not a full time mid, he’s best 22 for us but so would have been Brandon par fit for free.

Instead we got a player that maybe gives us a 1-2 win above replacement upgrade on Cole or Duggan. Nowhere near the price paid, but we did it because the recruiter has a previous connection tot he player and the player wanted to come home and on top of that the players concern was with the capital given to his prior club.

No way of putting lipstick on this pig of a trade. This is the kind of conflict of interest/related party rubbish you have structures in place to prevent which also impacted the candidate selected as coach.

A lot I can't understand in that deal, but one minor was WTF did we trade our picks in the 60s as part of it and get one in the 70s back. Makes no sense for us, only Carlton.

Richmond had 51 and 61, surely both those come to us. 14 was way overs, as a bare minimum 51 and 61 should've come our way.

Just shows how poor that deal was all the way through.

Pyke saying PSD is not how we do business...

Mate... It's literally a legal avenue to use in trade negotiations with out of contract players.

It's so you don't do things to the detriment of your CLUB!!

In the end Richmond would have caved for a 2nd rounder as Baker IS OUT OF CONTRACT.

Pretty much every club is probably looking at us like we're soft...or possibly ******ed

MEGA

When was the last time a player of Baker’s calibre went to the PSD? Please, do some research. It’s been decades. Last year the players picked at the PSD were two old guys who were redrafted by their clubs (Chad Wingard and Sam Day, both now retired) and Riley Bonner (player one year at St Kilda and delisted). Two years ago nobody was picked in the PSD. Three years ago it was Rory Thompson and Luke Nankervis. Four years ago, Jackson Hately.

He said it’s not how we do business because it’s not how any club does business. There’s also the issue of North having a pick ahead of the Eagles in the PSD and they’d obviously just pick Baker since he’s way better than the dregs who usually find their way to the PSD. At which point his option is to sign a one year contract and play for North, then try to force a trade to WCE again, or sit out a year and make $0.

As for Richmond caving and accepting a 2nd round pick, the simple fact that Freo were openly offering a first rounder pretty much blows up that idea.

A lot I can't understand in that deal, but one minor was WTF did we trade our picks in the 60s as part of it and get one in the 70s back. Makes no sense for us, only Carlton.

Richmond had 51 and 61, surely both those come to us. 14 was way overs, as a bare minimum 51 and 61 should've come our way.

Just shows how poor that deal was all the way through.
I would assume the picks in the 60's are for Owies...

I feel like Clarke has just watched Draft Day, thinking he can get back what he has traded away but failed to realise it was a fictional movie.

I wonder if he wrote his "Liam Baker, No matter what" note

Going by this trade, it seems he has "Liam Baker, No matter what" tattooed on his chest or a**.

Just listenned to the Pyke interview with Duffield, my summary

He admitted several times, albeit in couched language, that they have have made a conscious decision to import middle aged players because of the dearth on the list in the 23 - 27 years old category. He didn't admit that they don't think their under 23 cohort is not very good but that goes without saying. They would not be importing over priced filler if they rated their young players.

In his answers he spoke multiple times about stabilising the list and the results in the present, and by that i think he means making sure we can win 5 games a year. He didn't speak once about the 3 - 5 year plus time horizon or building a list that can make the 8 again. Right there he is admitting to you what the clubs focus and and priority is and why they are doing what they have done.

He admitted McQualter and Clarke were lobbying for the Baker trade

Duffield did a really s*** job of interviewing him. You don't have to badger, insult or attack the interviewee but the least you can do is fairly and accurately summarise the counter argument or criticism of the deal and put that to Pyke. He failed to do that. His summary of the counter argument was "some people think you shouldn't have traded out pick 3".

Pyke seemed to laugh multiple times and sound dismissive when Duffield mentioned to him that reaction to the trade from the fanbase was negative. He sounded every bit as arrogant as Nisbett at his worst. I didn't like that at all.

Pyke was asked multiple times about a trade for Barrass and instead of putting on his poker face and saying a deal may not be done if we can't get value he sounded 100% committed to trading Barrass out to Hawthorn, almost begging Hawthorn to offer him something. Terrible negotiating and messaging. Hawthorn know we will take anything they offer from here.

It won’t happen, so this is just copium, but I’ve always thought that two firsts for Barrass and a second would be the deal. With Hawks moving and shuffling, that’s F1+F1 for Barrass and F2.

Would leave our trades at:

In: 12, F1, F1, 73, Baker, Owies
Out: 3, F2, 63, Barrass, Darling

Hardly a home run, but certainly a very defensible trade period where you can see the strategy. It’s salvageable if they get a good return for Barrass (lol). Can pair it up as the below.

Out: 3
In: 12 F1

Out: Barrass F2
In: Baker F1

Out: Darling, 63
In: Owies, 73

Salvageable. Fantasy land, but salvageable.

This is true, in that Pick 15 getting pushed backed to 16 when an Ashcroft bid comes in doesn’t really matter, as Ashcroft was never available in the first place.

However, when I think about a compromised draft, it’s because in a given year there’s only ever likely to be x number of elite kids, x number of good kids, and so on. When half of them are club tied, it does make it quite hard to pick the eyes out of.

If there’s 10 elite kids in a draft in which we have two top 10 picks, we should be laughing, but if half of them are tied to clubs already it makes it that much harder to nail.

You make good points Badger, it should be viewed as two seperate list.
This years the number of northern academy kids isn’t to bad.
It’s compounded because last year was an outlier with GC having access to four really good kids.
For the record I think it’s actually a wonderful situation that we are seeing greater number of high quality kids in these developing areas, long term it has to be great for the advancement of the game.
However where it does become a problem is when you get multiple kids from these academies at the pointy end of the draft and Clubs can trade in multiple rubbish picks to surrender points out to match the bids.
Secondly the discounts should be abandoned the benefit is having the ability to match the bid , the points discount is a fiddle and assists the notion of the draft being compromised.

Next years crop of Academy kids is impressive and at this early stage I can see five of them being in the top 12 picks.

The AFL need to tinker further with the indicative points scale and wind it in even further and increase first round pick values.

Bender is right also that the compensation picks is the bigger blight on the system.
IMO there should be no compensation picks given out, the Club that the player leaves get the benefit of a list spot and the cap space they save by the player moving on.

The drafts as they currently are structured are compromised but it doesn’t need to be as badly compromised as they are.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back