List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Schofield is trying to do that and get his mates deal over the line

It’s not terrible on face value when put like that, until you realise we should have had the leverage in every single one of the player deals and two of them were basically free.

Value in and out is bad, but not a disaster. The disaster is not doing more with the opportunities we had, which more well run clubs take advantage of.

Last edited:
I think the only list manager that was trigger happy is West Coast’s. putting everything in the line for Baker who is worth a second rounder at best and is 27 years old and he traded out pick 3 in a super draft.

Happy for you to keep TB but you need atleast another F1 to be in the running for Warner next year.

The only KPD to be traded for two firsts is Lever who was 21 at the time. Barrass is 29 and has back issues which he has publicly stated. A F1 and F2 is a fair trade IMO without you sending anything back.

If you don’t trade him you have a 30 year old defender next year on your books with less draft capital to use before Tassie comes in, making the future drafts more compromised.

Your club has sold you an unrealistic dream and failed to deliver. The proof is in the pudding today and it will be either way it goes tomorrow.
Go away

Silver lining in all this mess (and it may have been mentioned before in the thread) but Pyke in his interview (here) did say:
"and we'll now do work to close the Barrass deal and hopefully get ourselves back into this draft in some form or fashion, either in the top 10, or in the 10-20 range to give us those three picks that we want for this year to keep bringing talent on to our list".

Although it's not great to broadcast your intentions in this regard I guess we'll see if anything can be salvaged tomorrow and we gain another first rounder back into this draft.
Otherwise our third pick will be pick 73 (which will come in a bit when picks are absorbed through matching trades).

I think the only list manager that was trigger happy is West Coast’s. putting everything in the line for Baker who is worth a second rounder at best and is 27 years old and he traded out pick 3 in a super draft.

Happy for you to keep TB but you need atleast another F1 to be in the running for Warner next year.

The only KPD to be traded for two firsts is Lever who was 21 at the time. Barrass is 29 and has back issues which he has publicly stated. A F1 and F2 is a fair trade IMO without you sending anything back.

If you don’t trade him you have a 30 year old defender next year on your books with less draft capital to use before Tassie comes in, making the future drafts more compromised.

Your club has sold you an unrealistic dream and failed to deliver. The proof is in the pudding today and it will be either way it goes tomorrow.
Haha, What’s the unrealistic dream?

It’s a nightmare to be ‘in the window’ and traded out of the super draft. Plenty of teams have a jump for a season before heading back to the bottom third of the ladder. Hawks need the trade to go ahead more than us imo.

It’s a super draft because the talent runs deep not because the top end is on another level. Talk was always we wanted to split and hopefully we get your F1 and F2 we can do that. Just won’t be the picks we would’ve hoped for imo

Agreed F1 and F2 is fair so not sure where you are coming from.

Next year is a lot of unknown, right buyer and you can get overs. Look at Rioli, Baker this year. Can always find ways to generate another first round pick next year if The Chad did want to come home and selected the Eagles

Harley will leave next year and will have bulk draft capital what are you on about.

Silver lining in all this mess (and it may have been mentioned before in the thread) but Pyke in his interview (here) did say:
"and we'll now do work to close the Barrass deal and hopefully get ourselves back into this draft in some form or fashion, either in the top 10, or in the 10-20 range to give us those three picks that we want for this year to keep bringing talent on to our list".

Although it's not great to broadcast your intentions in this regard I guess we'll see if anything can be salvaged tomorrow and we gain another first rounder back into this draft.
Otherwise our third pick will be pick 73 (which will come in a bit when picks are absorbed through matching trades).
Only hope is Tigers would rather move some picks over to next year and don’t bundle up with the Roos for two.

Hawks F1 and F2 for 11 or 14 back as part of the back scratching between Clarke and Richmond.

When was the last time a player of Baker’s calibre went to the PSD? Please, do some research. It’s been decades. Last year the players picked at the PSD were two old guys who were redrafted by their clubs (Chad Wingard and Sam Day, both now retired) and Riley Bonner (player one year at St Kilda and delisted). Two years ago nobody was picked in the PSD. Three years ago it was Rory Thompson and Luke Nankervis. Four years ago, Jackson Hately.

He said it’s not how we do business because it’s not how any club does business. There’s also the issue of North having a pick ahead of the Eagles in the PSD and they’d obviously just pick Baker since he’s way better than the dregs who usually find their way to the PSD. At which point his option is to sign a one year contract and play for North, then try to force a trade to WCE again, or sit out a year and make $0.

As for Richmond caving and accepting a 2nd round pick, the simple fact that Freo were openly offering a first rounder pretty much blows up that idea.
While I agree with the points about the PSD, Freo's offer is irrelevant if Baker only wants to go to West Coast. They should have stared Richmond down.

what if warner doesn't work out? what if he doesn't fit our system and is simply a serviceable A- grader but not the star we need? what if he gets a head knock and retires? how much are we willing to risk on one guy? the swans are going to ask for the world and we will give it too them and then some. and that will probably include picks from 3 drafts as they are bringing that change in next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not terrible on face value when put like that, until you realise we should have had the leverage in every single one of the player deals and two of them were basically free.

Value in and out is bad, but not a disaster. The disaster is not doing more with the opportunities we had, which more well run clubs take advantage of.
So if you ignore reality it's a good deal ?

Can't disagree with you on that

Just remember also. None of this would have happened if Oscar Allen missed that goal vs North Melbourne

It's our Jordan McMahon moment ;)

Haha, What’s the unrealistic dream?

It’s a nightmare to be ‘in the window’ and traded out of the super draft. Plenty of teams have a jump for a season before heading back to the bottom third of the ladder. Hawks need the trade to go ahead more than us imo.

It’s a super draft because the talent runs deep not because the top end is on another level. Talk was always we wanted to split and hopefully we get your F1 and F2 we can do that. Just won’t be the picks we would’ve hoped for imo

Agreed F1 and F2 is fair so not sure where you are coming from.

Next year is a lot of unknown, right buyer and you can get overs. Look at Rioli, Baker this year. Can always find ways to generate another first round pick next year if The Chad did want to come home and selected the Eagles

I had some fun and looked at the last super draft, being 2001. I would have been happy to trade down. Why the fascination with the top picks?

Here is my fantasy pick, taking one selection from each round. That would be:
R1(3) Chris Judd, R2(24) Stevie J, R3(40) Gary Ablett Jnr, R4(58) Dane Swan, R5 (Pass), R6(71) Brian Lake. Then into Rookie Draft, R1(5) Andrew Carrazzo, R2(23) Matthew Boyd, R3(33) Aaron Sandilands.

Cherry picking you say? Here is my alternate picks for each round:
R1(8) Jimmy Bartel, R2(29) Lewis Roberts-Thompson, R3(36) Sammy Mitchell, R4(56) Paul Medhurst, R5 (Pass), R6(76) Jared Poulton. Then into Rookie Draft R1(6) Mark Jamar, R2(25) Nathan Bock, R3(40) Ben Rutten.

You get the idea.

Despite all the media chat today, I’m not sure getting the F1/F2 in a Barrass deal actually moves the needle too much in a Warner trade.

Given they’re bringing in the ability to trade futures 2 years in advance, without the Barrass trade, we will still have 3 x first rounders to use next year. All likely to be top 10 picks as well.

Anyways, I’ve moved on, I’m now focussing my energies on melting about us choosing the wrong F1 out of Hawks and Carlton’s in the trade.

I had some fun and looked at the last super draft, being 2001. I would have been happy to trade down. Why the fascination with the top picks?

Here is my fantasy pick, taking one selection from each round. That would be:
R1(3) Chris Judd, R2(24) Stevie J, R3(40) Gary Ablett Jnr, R4(58) Dane Swan, R5 (Pass), R6(71) Brian Lake. Then into Rookie Draft, R1(5) Andrew Carrazzo, R2(23) Matthew Boyd, R3(33) Aaron Sandilands.

Cherry picking you say? Here is my alternate picks for each round:
R1(8) Jimmy Bartel, R2(29) Lewis Roberts-Thompson, R3(36) Sammy Mitchell, R4(56) Paul Medhurst, R5 (Pass), R6(76) Jared Poulton. Then into Rookie Draft R1(6) Mark Jamar, R2(25) Nathan Bock, R3(40) Ben Rutten.

You get the idea.
If only we were good at identifying mid to late draft midfield prospects.
Can't really think of too any since the 2000's or so atm.

I have been fearing for a while that they would end up panicking and looking for short cuts and quick fixes to the hole we are in. And that the catalyst for that would be fear of losing money. Fear that the punters will stop paying to go watch the games. And that this would prompt to be willing to trade long term success for a short term sugar high. And i think that that is what has hapenned.

Its all good, the players we have brought in aren't enough to give us a sugar high (unless you call maybe 1 game extra, a high).

Well the reaction from everyone definitely has put some pressure on Pyke, Clarke and McQualter to perform THIS year.

No easing into it for McQualter now. Theres no way we can push the narrative about a 5 year rebuild or needing to get quality youth in. Its all in for win now mode.
The way we have traded they better hope we are knocking on the door of finals next season because we've lost ground in the rebuild to all the other clubs around us.

"We had a a hole in our list of 26-27 year olds" Not sure if you realise Pyke, that age group is exactly the age bracket that enters free agency where you can pick up players for FREE.

I feel like Clarke has just watched Draft Day, thinking he can get back what he has traded away but failed to realise it was a fictional movie.

I wonder if he wrote his "Liam Baker, No matter what" note
Wait for the next part of draft day with the hawks

Eagles - we want your two future firsts. Thats right, all of them.

Hawks - 30 second pause. Then “ok”

Eagles - 30 second pause. They talk internally…”what else do we need? We need a previously high draft pick that hasn’t hit his straps yet…DGB!

Eagles - that deal is now off the table. We want your future firsts and… DGB.

Hawks - where did that come from?

Eagles - you get Tom barass and you get to bring home another premiership and save face among your fans. Say it with me you pancake eating mother feckers…2 x future firsts and DGB!

Hawks - …ok…deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back