List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay lets compare the pair

Eagles say we need more players in the 25-29 age bracket to lead the team. We also say we are rebuilding and need to hit the draft

Hawthorn say we need to top up and trade away our draft hand so we can push for the flag.

Round 1 both teams will likely be below. Ill highight those under the age of 25

FB: Hunt, Hedwards, Hough
HB : GInbey, McGovern, Duggan
C: Baker, Yeo, Cole
HF: Ryan, Allen, Hutchison
FF: Owies, Waterman, J.Williams
R: Flynn, Kelly, Reid
I/C: Graham, B.Williams, Long, Hewett

4 over the age of 30
11 over the age of 25-29 (this is the gap we filled)
7 under the age of 25

FB: Scrimshaw, Barrass, Sicily
HB: Amon, Battle, Hardwick
C: Dambrosio, Day, Nash
HF: Moore, Gunston, Macdonald
FF: Watson, Chol, Ginnivan
R: Meek, Newcombe, Worpel
I/C: MacKenzie, Weddle, Dear, Impey

2 over the age or 30
11 between 25-29
9 under the age of 25

The team who is gunning for the flag has a much younger Round 1 team then us and also vastly less experience in the 25 and under age bracket too. Its absurd . If you look at that 25-29 age bracket we are desperately missing also according to Pyke and co we have more then most too and are the much more experienced team overall.... not just for Hawthorn but a ton of other teams too. Even Sydneys team has 8 players under 25 in its best 22...

Just look at the U25 players in the Round 1 side too. Hawks talent is better. Heck lets look at Sydney and Brisbane with better u25s playing Round 1 then us...

Sydney have - Gulden, Warner, Roberts, McDonald, McInerney, Jordon, Rowbottom, Campnbell
Brisbane have - L.Ashcroft, W.Ashcroft, Fletcher, Lohman, Morris, Wilmot, Coleman
WCE have - Reid, Ginbey, Hough, J.Williams, Long, Hutchison, Hewett

We are just way off :(

Just played in the grand final and both have us covered

Last edited:
Never seen so much hate from Eagles fans for the club. It's like this has been this tipping point for 3.5 terrible years and the fans have said enough.
Thats what i was explaining to my colleagues yesterday.

Its not this decision in isolation. Its on the back of a number of huge errors made by the club the last 4 years.

We've just had enough.

Kinda goes to show, non vic clubs are having a real hard time atm convincing players to either stay, or come over.

Even Port who are in grand final contention are struggling. The justification re Atkins was pretty much the same as ours in relation to Owies

Yeah agreed. Though thought it was harsher (about Atkins)

Didn't even mention him in the players brought in. And when asked specifically abput him said he'll help our SANFL team essentially 🤣

Also the Soldo stuff is just odd

Have to say but today is a massive one for the club. Need to get a good deal for Barrass (think it'll be as simple as a F1 and F2 and nothing going back), try and get another first round pick with that F1, ideally I'm swapping both those future picks for current 1st and 2nd round picks in this draft, we then need to get Dev across the line for hopefully not much in picks, I think Brisbane will actually want to get him off the books and will facilitate it, not sure Pies have any currency to get him in.

If we can end the day with Dev and another 1st and 2nd I would feel slightly better.

How is Hewett tracking? anyone?

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
His feet are ****ed and had surgeries.

We will find out during preseason if he can produce again

Hewetts other problem is he has always struggled to built a tank and not being able to run means he is starting a long way back .

I have more faith that Hutchinson will translate into a decent midfielder next season . He is 23 next month and never had an afl preseason

Have to say but today is a massive one for the club. Need to get a good deal for Barrass (think it'll be as simple as a F1 and F2 and nothing going back), try and get another first round pick with that F1, ideally I'm swapping both those future picks for current 1st and 2nd round picks in this draft, we then need to get Dev across the line for hopefully not much in picks, I think Brisbane will actually want to get him off the books and will facilitate it, not sure Pies have any currency to get him in.

If we can end the day with Dev and another 1st and 2nd I would feel slightly better.
Who is giving us a F1st back for Hawks F1st though given just how strong our desperation will reek? If im GWS im asking for F1st + F2nd for pick 16 and we probably going to have to lump up and pay it if we are honest. Thats just the best case scenario too

I honestly cant see any club who will give up a first rounder outside of GWS giving up 21 and Richmond giving up 24. Both picks not exactly being game changers

That is worse than the original offer from hawthorn. Hawks received this future first and second pick via the now infamous pick 14. Hawks were also throwing in another pick.

Okay lets compare the pair

Eagles say we need more players in the 25-29 age bracket to lead the team. We also say we are rebuilding and need to hit the draft

Hawthorn say we need to top up and trade away our draft hand so we can push for the flag.

Round 1 both teams will likely be below. Ill highight those under the age of 25

FB: Hunt, Hedwards, Hough
HB : GInbey, McGovern, Duggan
C: Baker, Yeo, Cole
HF: Ryan, Allen, Hutchison
FF: Owies, Waterman, J.Williams
R: Flynn, Kelly, Reid
I/C: Graham, B.Williams, Long, Hewett

4 over the age of 30
11 over the age of 25-29 (this is the gap we filled)
7 under the age of 25

FB: Scrimshaw, Barrass, Sicily
HB: Amon, Battle, Hardwick
C: Dambrosio, Day, Nash
HF: Moore, Gunston, Macdonald
FF: Watson, Chol, Ginnivan
R: Meek, Newcombe, Worpel
I/C: MacKenzie, Weddle, Dear, Impey

2 over the age or 30
11 between 25-29
9 under the age of 25

The team who is gunning for the flag has a much younger Round 1 team then us and also vastly less experience in the 25 and under age bracket too. Its absurd . If you look at that 25-29 age bracket we are desperately missing also according to Pyke and co we have more then most too and are the much more experienced team overall.... not just for Hawthorn but a ton of other teams too. Even Sydneys team has 8 players under 25 in its best 22...

Just look at the U25 players in the Round 1 side too. Hawks talent is better. Heck lets look at Sydney and Brisbane with better u25s playing Round 1 then us...

Sydney have - Gulden, Warner, Roberts, McDonald, McInerney, Jordon, Rowbottom, Campnbell
Brisbane have - L.Ashcroft, W.Ashcroft, Fletcher, Lohman, Morris, Wilmot, Coleman

We are just way off :(

Just played in the grand final and both have us covered
Cant believe you dont have maric in your team .

Let me get this straight. We trade our own F1 to Richmond for picks 10 and 18 this year but keep Haw F1 and Carlton F1 (highly unlikely to get both anyway) to trade for Warner this tme next year. So in 2025 we get Warner but we have no R1, no R2 and no R3 left to draft anybody. Isn't this correct?

No.

We obviously retain picks to go to the draft with.

Retain the Barrass picks.

Use a blend of these and a blend of future picks to land Warner and retain picks for the draft.

If we held pock 3 again Swans would demand pick 3 in any trade.

If we bring pick 3 forward we get the benefit now. Not in 12 months when it gets gobbled up trading.

No.

We obviously retain picks to go to the draft with.

Retain the Barrass picks.

Use thise and a blend of future picks to land Warner and retain picks for the draft.

If we held pock 3 again Swans would demand pick 3 in any trade.

If we bring pick 3 forward we get the benefit now. Not in 12 months when it gets gobbled up trading.
This is true but also puts all your eggs in one basket. A basket that could easily decide Fremantle is the better place to be. Placing 2 entire years of draft capital on 1 man who may not come isnt a risk we can afford to take

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker is more flashy and better skills than Duggan but probably similar in attack of ball.

If Baker starts getting 25-30 touches he'll be amazing

The highest he ever averaged was 20.3 disposals a game in 2021 (career average is 18.3). So highly unlikely that he will get 25-30 consistently. Will be 27 in January 2025 as well. People usually get worse not better at most things as they age.

Last edited:
The highest he ever averaged was 20.3 disposals a game in 2021 (career average is 18.3). So highly unlikely that he will get 25-30 consistently. Will 27 in January 2025 as well. People usually get worse not better at most things as they age.
Yeah I know.

I'm saying if Baker got as much ball as Duggan he'd be amazing

This is true but also puts all your eggs in one basket. A basket that could easily decide Fremantle is the better place to be. Placing 2 entire years of draft capital on 1 man who may not come isnt a risk we can afford to take

Just stop with the silly grammer and statements.

No-one is using one entire years of draft capital never mind two on trading in anyone.

Did Carlton take no drafteess for two years when they traded in Judd? No. They got their man and drafted kids in both drafts.

If you are going to debate a point raised at least keep it within the relms of logic and what actually happens.

The year any club trades in a top level gun they dont have a 1st rounder to use. Thats a given.

Luckily future picks can be used. And when players leave we get picks back.

Yeah the more I think about the more I want us to trade either our F1 or the F1/F2 we get from Hawthorn to get back into the top 10 this draft if we are going all in on Warner next year. I'd rather use one of those F1s this year than have them all get burned up in the Warner trade. Dev for a F3.

Leaves us with

2024: 1R (hopefully top 10), 12, 26, 73 (Champion), Baker, Owies, Graham, Robertson

You prefer the North model?

Collingwood and Geelong seem to have good models.
Dont think we have a Nick Daicos lined up as a father/son :(

Geelongs the team to be. We all know that. Once again, even they go ibto Round 1 with a younger 22 and more under 25s then us

Geelong have - Humphries, Dempsey, Holmes, O.Henry, Neale, Bruhn, De Koning, B.Smith

8 to our 7 and a better lot at that too :(

West coast administration are acting like there’s no choice but to appease the opposite club when you try and trade a player in.

Well we want two future firsts from the hawks and I’m sure the dogs want a top ten pick for Bailey smith. Let’s see how this plays out…

That is worse than the original offer from hawthorn. Hawks received this future first and second pick via the now infamous pick 14. Hawks were also throwing in another pick.

Someone is going to blink and I have no confidence in the Eagles not to simply accept what's on offer.

I’m trying to understand what changed from Sunday when we rejected Carlton’s offer though. Because Owies is the only additional part of that trade

I am praying that once the Barrrass deal goes through we have a deal in place with Richmond to trade back into this draft. And a deal has already been agreed with us clawing back some of the overs we paid for Baker.

Its all I have left to hope for to revover from the current dismal trade result.

Just stop with the silly grammer and statements.

No-one is using one entire years of draft capital never mind two on trading in anyone.

Did Carlton take no drafteess for two years when they traded in Judd? No. They got their man and drafted kids in both drafts.

If you are going to debate a point raised at least keep it within the relms of logic and what actually happens.

The year any club trades in a top level gun they dont have a 1st rounder to use. Thats a given.

Luckily future picks can be used. And when players leave we get picks back.
What a odd time range to choose. The obvioius example is Tim Kelly. We traded out of 1 draft for Tim Kelly and then when we drafted at the end of it we ended up taking picks 52 and 62 only to a draft . It would be the same scenario albeit worse since Warner will cost more in trade currency

We aint building a list with a bunch of picks in the 50s which is what would happen if Warner comes in. In your example they will atleast demand 2 x 1sts and 2 x 2nds for example so thats what we would be left with. A bunch of third rounders to make up the rest....

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back