Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Tom Barrass heads to Hawthorn
    • In: F1, F2, F3 (HAW)
    • Out: Barrass, F4

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Bo Allen a Ginbey clone
There are some similarities mainly in there athletic attributes and that they have both played in defence at junior levels and played in the midfield more during there draft year.

Just my personal opinion on them but Allan is a better kick in terms of both penetration and accuracy but can at times turn the ball over by making poor choices. Is more explosive around the ball than Ginbey at the same age and can break the lines using his pace.

Ginbey in his draft year used the ball more by hand than what Bo does. Played only off half back at WAFL level and bolted in draft calculations from the championships through to the combine. I feel Allan has had a more normal progression playing state as an underage last year and building from that point on.

Allan is a fraction taller but Ginbey perhaps a slightly bigger frame at the same age. Both tested well at the combine.

I do think that Allan probably starts his AFL career down back if being honest but I could see him pushing into the midfield as he matures.

Credit to Richmond. They are doing what we should have done 3 years ago. Get value for their players.
What a start to their rebuild.

Meanwhile we are stuck with aging, lazy veterans who have no value and management STILL refuse to admit we're in a rebuild. Sheer arrongance and incompetence.
Tigers have done well to get value for their trades. Helps that they are trading to us and Gold Coast and Freo, the worst trading teams in the league.

But regardless, it has been forced on them. They've had their worst season in history and multiple premiership players in their prime walked out on them. They signed Balta to a 6 year deal, they would have kept all these players if they weren't desperate to get out.

In a few years they'll still be a 3 win team and start getting priority picks.

But the reality is the AFL has created such a boom or bust cycle that this is somehow seen as a good thing. It's a disaster. There is no easy way to rebuild under the current system. What's the point in being a 7 win team? Might as well be a 2 win team and sell the fans on kids.

Don’t agree with that at all but I do think our club is not focused on what it should be.
Money takes care of itself at the Eagles yet it seems to be a focus of the club.
Football should be the focus and a win at all costs attitude should be implemented.
Where has this attitude gone? Win at all costs has been lost and required in this environment. This comes from top-down, and so the board must be accountable. Last year shouod have been a thorough external review.

I will say my respect for West Australians and many Eagles supporters this week has diminished.

Talk about throwing the toys out of the cot.

Seriously embarrassing content on here the past couple of days.

The most embarrassing is that so many comment on the draft yet 99% of them would not of seen 1 draft prospect play a game of football.
Basically if you are not 18 years old you serve no purpose at West Coast.
It’s so dumb.

Where has this attitude gone? Win at all costs has been lost and required in this environment. This comes from top-down, and so the board must be accountable. Last year shouod have been a thorough external review.

They win the money premiership every year. That is their focus. Remember the club crying poor during COVID?
It takes time to build a win at all cost attitude. Starts in the football department.

Richmond have absolutely managed to get peak value for all their outgoing players so far (excluding Graham compo). It's absurd. Someone call their bluff on Rioli FFS.

I think it's widely known and accepted they're going to be crap for a while with their new list profile being full of young kids..

But deary me it'll be interesting watching to see how quickly it takes them to overtake us in the rebuild in a couple years time.

Having an absolute bounty of top end talent In a deep draft sets them up hugely. Add a couple FA'S in the right age bracket, given they'll have the salary cap and look appealing, and suddenly they're a competitive club on the rise again before Tazzy start ruining the drafts.

Bit like Hawthorn.

Hopefully none of it happens and it all goes to shit.

We have Matt Owies anyway, so we'll be fine.
Will definitely be interesting to compare the rebuilds - going all in on one draft poses a risk. I imagine they'll diversify their picks and trade a couple to 2025.

NM & GC show a glut of first round doesn't necessarily bring you success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying I'm an expert or I know how this will pan out. But anyone else feel a little sick about this rebuild now? Richmond are fully cashing in right now, something like 6 picks inside 20, in what sounds like a great draft. We got Baker and Owies and a single pick in the middle of the first round.
Man I hope we know what we're doing. I'm also worried about next year now, don't believe in selling all for Warner, success is built within, we should have drafted a bunch of talented young kids with 3 and 14 and kept building around Harley. I feel like we've cooked it. Time will tell

Credit to Richmond. They are doing what we should have done 3 years ago. Get value for their players.

Meanwhile we are stuck with aging, lazy veterans who have no value and management STILL refuse to admit we're in a rebuild. Sheer arrongance and incompetence.

Will be interesting to follow

Still yet to see a flag between GC and GWS though...

what if warner doesn't work out? what if he doesn't fit our system and is simply a serviceable A- grader but not the star we need? what if he gets a head knock and retires? how much are we willing to risk on one guy? the swans are going to ask for the world and we will give it too them and then some. and that will probably include picks from 3 drafts as they are bringing that change in next year.

The Warner hype is boxing ourselves into a corner to get ripped off next year.
Think we are better off investing heavily in the draft in 2025 similar to what Richmond are doing this year.
As some people have pointed out we have only taken 4 picks inside top 20 over the last 5 years.
To add to this, we have only taken 2 top 10 picks (Ginby, Reid) since we drafted Gaff in 2010.

Trading 2 or 3 F1's for 1 player just reminds me of the Kelly trade 2.0

While being true, it also helped that their premiership coach bounced before the major cleanout happened. All these players wouldn't have gone if he was still there.

Not saying I'm an expert or I know how this will pan out. But anyone else feel a little sick about this rebuild now? Richmond are fully cashing in right now, something like 6 picks inside 20, in what sounds like a great draft. We got Baker and Owies and a single pick in the middle of the first round.
Man I hope we know what we're doing. I'm also worried about next year now, don't believe in selling all for Warner, success is built within, we should have drafted a bunch of talented young kids with 3 and 14 and kept building around Harley. I feel like we've cooked it. Time will tell
We have 19 players under 20 years old.
I think we are already where Richmond will be?

The Warner hype is boxing ourselves into a corner to get ripped off next year.
Think we are better off investing heavily in the draft in 2025 similar to what Richmond are doing this year.
As some people have pointed out we have only taken 4 picks inside top 20 over the last 5 years.
To add to this, we have only taken 2 top 10 picks (Ginby, Reid) since we drafted Gaff in 2010.

Trading 2 or 3 F1's for 1 player just reminds me of the Kelly trade 2.0
It's just going to be another Tim Kelly and everyone knows it

We've got to get better at developing our own players and recognising talent and drafting them before they go to other clubs and we get screwed getting them back.

Can't see Hawks letting the Barrass trade fall over.

Just hope we're being proper campaigners and holding for 2x F1's. They will blink.
2 x F1s with our F2 going back should get done.

Hawks will know we will likely be shithouse again and they can back themselves in to go for a GF so the difference between our F2 and their F1 won’t be much

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back