List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Baker on the other hand has a lot to prove this year against us Richmond’s undermanned midfield got spanked by Harley, Yeo and Kelly. Given the general staleness of the forward 50 and the constantly under siege defence I can only see baker being a good option as 4/5 banana midfielder
I hope the plan is to use Baker as a Defender/Mid & Graham as a Forward/Mid - both rotating though the midfield and giving us depth & options.

It's been a while since we've truly had players capable of rotating through the midfield and also add value in the backline or forward line. Duggo's prob been the only consistent one.

Don't know about Rotham... The pea hearted campaigner would be one of the first to delist for me...

Don't know if the new coach has ever watched us play

Don't know if the new coach has ever watched us play

Steve Brule What GIF

I’m not really in this for a one and done flag though like Melbourne and Collingwood, and even 2017 Richmond (although they did get it to become multiple to be fair, but I don’t think we can do that with their philosophy outside of Victoria)

We are (or were) a powerhouse club trying to have sustained success playing good football, not snag a Richmond-esque flag after a long drought.

We’ve had superstars all over the field for the past decade and I’d very much like that to be the way we win our next one. Not just with Harley and a bunch of soldiers.

I'll take 'em anyway we can get 'em

Talking of copium, I actually think the Barrass trade by itself is good.

Knowing Hawthorn they probably get 10 more years out of him, but it's clear that with us he's past his peak and getting all of F1, F2 and F3 (in return for a token F4) is great. Assuming Hawks finish 6th again, that's 13, 31 and 49. All live picks. Decent result for a player that didn't want to stay even if he is easily first 22.

If we (rightly) criticise the deal for Baker and downgrade of pick 3, credit also for extracting that from Hawthorn.

How? My math is

OUT - Barrass, Jones, Gaff, Darling
IN - Graham, Owies, Baker

Sorry I meant the other way around obviously

We had 37 on the main list (not 38) so with those changes we’re down to 36. Gives us two main list spots

Delisting the two rookies (Trew and Baker) has brought us back to 4 on the rookie list after Hutchinson joined via the MSD

The 3 players we've bought in are 3 unrelenting effort guys, id like a fourth like parfitt who has a bit more talent for more depth
Agree they'll improve us significanly in line with our obvious list management strategy to get a squad pushing up to somewhere around the top of the bottom eight. I think that's a combination of sponsors and new staff self interest driven however it could be that we want our young players developing within a cohesive framework. Either way it will hit the ceiling soon enough and stagnate because we don't have enough talent in our under 23's to drive beyond. We also didn't do anything to fix our ruck situation which is diabolical.

I guess so but if you are giving me a choice between baker or barrass I’m taking barrass every day of the week

Who wouldn't.

It's why Hawthorn just coughed up 90% of its original entire 2025 draft hand.

Which player is more likely to retire first?

Isn't the choice Barrass or a F1st plus a F2nd plus a F3rd?

Which would you take?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not really in this for a one and done flag though like Melbourne and Collingwood, and even 2017 Richmond (although they did get it to become multiple to be fair, but I don’t think we can do that with their philosophy outside of Victoria)

We are (or were) a powerhouse club trying to have sustained success playing good football, not snag a Richmond-esque flag after a long drought.

We’ve had superstars all over the field for the past decade and I’d very much like that to be the way we win our next one. Not just with Harley and a bunch of soldiers.

Agree the target should be sustained success.

After being depressed since the pick 3 trade and melting hard, i'm finally starting to feel a bit more optimistic and starting to see the strategy the club is using to rebuild and win flags.

I do see similarities particularly with how Collingwood rebuilt and won a flag after finishing in the bottom 3, then hiring McRae and drafting Daicos, comparatively we drafted Harley and hired McQualter.

Collingwood very much embraced a moneyball approach to draft and trade and it feels like we're doing similar by bringing in Baker, Owies and Graham whilst backing ourselves in with pick 12 and potentially another pick if we trade back in.

We're also favourites to land Warner and Starcevich next year, and we will improve us significantly if we manage to land both of them.

One of the biggest positives i see in landing Baker, Graham and Owies is that they are all very physically strong players that won't shirk a contest and will give 110% every game. I know a lot of people aren't happy with the line "we recruited just as much for the off-field traits" but the off-field stuff is culture defining and has a big influence on and off the field and is often the back bone for building a premiership team.

Richmond and Hawthorn we're both very physically imposing teams and the most successful teams of the modern era because there brand and players stood up in finals.

In general now we are very physically imposing team and think this will hold us in very good stead going forward

The trade period undoubtedly could have been handled better, but i think there are some positives to be taken out of it and i'm still bullish going forward as to what the club can achieve.
It’s ok melts happen.
Up the Coasters! 🍻

I think we are going to be using those Hawthorn futures to pick swap back into the top ten this draft - possibly to make a strong play for Richmond’s P6.

At the start I was hoping we could turn 3 into 6-8 and another close to top ten, and now we have 12. I really like where this is heading if we end up with 6+12. Clarke has been subtly alluding to it too. Let’s f’n go

Don’t like the Shep comparison. Shep was a high end talent and had a few injury concerns early but by 23 he was starting to live up to it. Rotham will be 27 next year and hasn’t played good footy in years. Most clubs would have cut him years ago. Can see the reason keeping him on as key back depth as barrass has gone but he isn’t a jey defenders A hole. He’s fair back in the line for general defenders. Also would orefer Burgiel and heck even a guy like Liam ryan used off half back over him.

I don't know about Bo Allen honestly if we mange him good he might be good like not rush him into the midfield until he is ready

I thought Rotham being delisted would be a formality

If Daniels is right that he’s a chance to get a new contract I can only assume McQualter has spoken to him and sees a potential role for Rotham. Given Rotham does actually possess some athleticism a new game plan that focuses on speed might suit him

Maybe a new coach can unlock the potential he showed earlier in his career that became stymied under our kick mark game.

A bit like the way Sheppard had a new lease on life under Simpson with a better defined role

Probably puts a line through Witherden as I can’t see us retaining both
I believe he’s just being kept as insurance, it’s not as if we’ve got a plethora of tall back men, a couple of injuries and things would be looking grim.
I would think one of our draft picks would be a young key back.

They finished top six, so their most likely double ups are to come from Brisbane, Sydney, Port, Dogs and Geelong.

Last year they doubled up against the Crows, Kangaroos, Magpies, Dogs, Giants, and Cats. So hopefully that means they'll double up against the Lions, Swans and Port, given that the did the double against Cats and Dogs this year.
Hawks haven’t played us at the Gabba since 2014.

Who wouldn't.

It's why Hawthorn just coughed up 90% of its original entire 2025 draft hand.

Which player is more likely to retire first?

Isn't the choice Barrass or a F1st plus a F2nd plus a F3rd?

Which would you take?
The barrass deal is fine we were adequately compensated. What we gave up for baker remains the issue in a vacuum is was essentially the pick we gave up for baker that was barrass don’t really agree with giving up a key A grade player for a foot soldier

I’d like Waterman to kick 6 on Barrass. With Owies, Baker, and Graham chipping in with 4 between them. Brownlow votes 1 Waterman, 2 Hewett, 3 H Reid.
Aaaaaaahhhhhhh the beauty of the off season, dreams and aspirations.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back