List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
For all his faults, one thing O’Brien was particularly adept at was keeping his mouth shut and not giving the slightest hint of his intentions

Worsfold was usually pretty good at giving little away as well - hopefully he can sit down with Clarke (and Pyke) to go through what they can learn from this trade period, particularly the negotiations

I note that this morning on SEN when asked about Warner, Clarke replied along the lines of we don’t want to put all our eggs in one basket and there’s more than one player coming out of contract. Maybe he’s already learned a little

It was obvious we were going to get fleeced from that very first press conference.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For those wanting to look at trading options (whether now or on draft night), look no further than the Drug Rats.

Dons hold picks for 2024 draft of 28, 31, 40, 46, 53, 54 and 65 and in the futures, they have 2 x F1 (own and Melb), F2 and F4.

Assuming they had word that a bid on Kako was coming prior to 9, they traded out. Let me assume it is pick 7 (SOS may well still holding a grudge against Dildoro for bidding on his son Jack when there was gentlemen's agreement that once the second round had passed then they let the clubs take them late).

Assuming a bids on Ashcroft is in the top 2 (it should be 1) and Lombard to be before Kako. That means pick 7 becomes pick 9 and the points required for matching at 9 that bid are 1,175. Now picks 40, 46, 53, 54 and 65 total up to will all come in assuming there will be a dozen or so picks consumed by matching Ashcroft and Lombard.
View attachment 2146203

That means it is in the best interest for Essendon to sell off 28 and 31 prior to the bid and then to get something back.

When I think of the depth in this draft, there looks to be some great options at 28 and 31.

Option:-
Dons trade with us 28, 31 and 65 for for our F2 and Hawks F2
Bid for Kako comes - Dons trade with Sydney for pick 19 and whatever else that makes the deal equitable. If not Sydney, then Tigers.

Outcome.
Eagles happy buying back in and getting deeper picks where it is still good value in a deep draft
Dons happy as they cash out of value picks and use up late picks then buy back in and get 2 first round picks
Sydney happy as they pick up valuable picks for 2025 where they have some good academy prospects
(Please do not get hung up on the exact machinations - it is an example that is not fully worked out.

We then take to the 12, 26, 28, 31, 65, 73 and 81 (last 2 picks will come in with points for Champion)
2025 we hold F1, Hawks F1, own F3 and Hawks F3 (so Warner deal an option or take two first rounders and have good points for matching Walley and Banfield

For the record, I have at those rankings

12 = Lindsay, Berry, Allan or Hynes
26 = Gross, Moraes or O'Farrell
28 = Oliver, Mraz or Ough
31 = Barrat, Davis or Jacques
65 = Sumpf, Burmeister or Day-Wicks

In cuckoo land if you think Essendons doing that deal. Theyd definetly demand Hawks F1st and then get it too

It was obvious we were going to get fleeced from that very first press conference.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We were screwed before the press conference. From Rhino's intel - we sought out Baker, he was keen but wanted Richmond to get a first rounder for him and we accepted that. That's the bloody committment Clarke keeps going on about.

Clown town.

Richmond’s most talented kid currently on their list is Gibcus.

The fact you’ve quoted us losing Sheed shows you actually know **** all.

Wouldn’t trade Reid for 1 and 6, 11 and 12 cancel out leaving Richmond with Gibcus, Mcauliffe, 10, 18, 20, 23.

Compared to Ginbey, Hewett, Hough, Long and the 15 other kids we have.

Hilariously bad take.
briztoon, why just the laugh react and no response? Can you tell me which parts you disagree with, obviously I haven’t even counted the extra f1 and f2 we have next year.

Appreciate the effort here - Though I suspect this is measuring "What does SEN value in a player" rather than who are the "best" players/how do clubs value players

A few things:
  • Firstly, Chad Warner isn't in the top 65 players? No Issac Heeney?
  • What year does this list of 65 relate to - best players drafted between 2012-2024? It must include 2024 because Reid and McKercher are in there - so it accounts for emergening form yet no Hogan or Waterman after the season they just had? Jed Walter is in, wtf??
  • Very curious about the field positon of each player - on face value looks like it skews to rating mids. I might be wrong, but i'd like to see a list that balances all positions more evenly.
  • Why is the list broken down as it has been? 1-5, 6-13 and then 14 to 64? Fine break down the top 5 or 10, but why not rank the rest based roughly on draft order, e.g. first round, second round, third round? Or 1-10, 10-20, 20-30, 30-40, 40+
Be nice to see a similar assessment based on a higher value categorisation of players rather than a SEN opinion piece - Games played (150/200+ games is pretty good measure of a good player), AFLPA MVP vote list, Coaches Association votes, or even Chamption Data (albiet biased).

Anecdotally we all know it - the chance of getting a decent player is higher at earlier picks, because you have the pick of the litter. I just don't think your %'s is anywhere close to being accurate.

Spot on.
Also, Finn Callaghan twice, Max King, Oliver (not in 24), could go on....

The whole point of earlier picks increases your chances of a gun is pretty obvious, I'm not sure why the figures need to be fudged so badly

But getting a bad case of deja vu..

Richmond’s most talented kid currently on their list is Gibcus.

The fact you’ve quoted us losing Sheed shows you actually know **** all.

Wouldn’t trade Reid for 1 and 6, 11 and 12 cancel out leaving Richmond with Gibcus, Mcauliffe, 10, 18, 20, 23.

Compared to Ginbey, Hewett, Hough, Long and the 15 other kids we have.

Hilariously bad take.
Hard to see Richmond doing anything but a hard slide.

Retire: Grimes, Martin, Naismith, Pickett

Trade: Rioli (27), Baker (27), Graham (26), Bolton (25)

Continuing: Lynch (31), Prestia (32), Nankervis (30), Vlastuin (30), Broad (31), McIntosh (30),

Below:
Short (28), Hopper (27), Miller (25), Taranto (24), Balta (24), Cumberland (23), Ralphsmith (22), Gibcus (21),

Continuing: Lynch (31), Prestia (32), Nankervis (30), Vlastuin (30), Broad (31), McIntosh (30),

Below:
Short (28), Hopper (27), Miller (25), Taranto (24), Balta (24), Cumberland (23), Ralphsmith (22), Gibcus (21),
Yep, Richmond are in for a massive world of hurt.

It seems incredible to me that in the middle of a rebuild, we have a draft that's supposedly one of the deepest in years and we have f**k all picks in it. And not only do we have f**k all picks in it, we're actually contemplating using a list spot on a guy like Rotham who's done absolutely nothing to show that he's an AFL level player for the last 6 or 7 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appreciate the effort here - Though I suspect this is measuring "What does SEN value in a player" rather than who are the "best" players/how do clubs value players

A few things:
  • Firstly, Chad Warner isn't in the top 65 players? No Issac Heeney?
  • What year does this list of 65 relate to - best players drafted between 2012-2024? It must include 2024 because Reid and McKercher are in there - so it accounts for emergening form yet no Hogan or Waterman after the season they just had? Jed Walter is in, wtf??
  • Very curious about the field positon of each player - on face value looks like it skews to rating mids. I might be wrong, but i'd like to see a list that balances all positions more evenly.
  • Why is the list broken down as it has been? 1-5, 6-13 and then 14 to 64? Fine break down the top 5 or 10, but why not rank the rest based roughly on draft order, e.g. first round, second round, third round? Or 1-10, 10-20, 20-30, 30-40, 40+
Be nice to see a similar assessment based on a higher value categorisation of players rather than a SEN opinion piece - Games played (150/200+ games is pretty good measure of a good player), AFLPA MVP vote list, Coaches Association votes, or even Chamption Data (albiet biased).

Anecdotally we all know it - the chance of getting a decent player is higher at earlier picks, because you have the pick of the litter. I just don't think your %'s is anywhere close to being accurate.

Cool. Do your own however you see fit. Let me know if you result varies by more than 10% of mine.

Spot on.
Also, Finn Callaghan twice, Max King, Oliver (not in 24), could go on....

The whole point of earlier picks increases your chances of a gun is pretty obvious, I'm not sure why the figures need to be fudged so badly

But getting a bad case of deja vu..
Exactly my point - it's obvious. Yet Skid Mark Clarke doesn't seem to know. Bro just shit himself.

Below:
They're going to have the North Melbourne problem - lots of talent, but all too young. If you can get through it, you hit pay dirt. But they will be bottom 1 for a few years.

We were screwed before the press conference. From Rhino's intel - we sought out Baker, he was keen but wanted Richmond to get a first rounder for him and we accepted that. That's the bloody committment Clarke keeps going on about.

Clown town.
Rhinos intel is not great these days.

Willie was staying. We knocked back 12 & 14 ect.

He’s just going off what Pyke and Clarke have already said which is exactly that. Baker and manager wanted a commitment we could get the right deal before say yes to us.

Good player but paying that price and other teams would’ve known that and our hands were tied. Why Hawks knew we were desperate for 14 and called out bluff.

Some Journos are saying we preferred future (no idea why).

Now we have a heap of futures and not much this year and will be forced to trade Harley next year if he doesnt sign on. Can’t trade him for picks in the Tassie draft or when he’s OOC. Connors management have said this period what the difference is when in and OOC.

Cal even weirdly mentioned it on Gettable for next year and how trades will be easier for stars and named the possibilities of Warner, Kosi and maybe Harley if we wants to go home and Essendon will have 4 first round picks to play with now. At least need 1 more year extension from him to keep this going on the right direction.

Trying to trade out Harley while ideally trying to trade in Warner wouldn’t go well for Clarke

Yep, Richmond are in for a massive world of hurt.
I called it in the Richmond tanking thread that they won't win a game next year.

Sure, they'll Bradbury someone but they have lost 3/5 B&F winners and the other 3 top players from the count are 32, 33, 33 next year.

2025, 2026 and 2027 are going to be dark, dark days. Good.

For no reason at all but just coz, the 2024 AA team and their draft picks. Can't remember what the deal was with the GWS underage/mini draft thing

Blakey (pick 10)
Weitering (1)
Ryan (66)
Zorko (47)
Gov (Rookie)
Houston (rookie)
Gulden (32)
Bont (4)
Daicos (4)
Warner (39)
Cameron (GWS underage recruit)
Heeney (18)