List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:

What's the opposite of copium?

Pinning everything that isn't exactly perfect at the Eagles right now on the reason why we've already lost Harley Reid is whatever that word is.

Maybe bed-wetting?

Does anyone have a subscription to The Mongrel Punt? He’s got an article behind the paywall about why we got it right with our trade strategy.

I rate the guy behind that blog. He’s one of the few that looks at all the teams with detail, not just the Vic ones. Thus I’m interested in his angle because he’s not prone to clickbait.

Not asking for the whole article to be pasted here but maybe just the premise.

Does anyone have a subscription to The Mongrel Punt? He’s got an article behind the paywall about why we got it right with our trade strategy.

I rate the guy behind that blog. He’s one of the few that looks at all the teams with detail, not just the Vic ones. Thus I’m interested in his angle because he’s not prone to clickbait.

Not asking for the whole article to be pasted here but maybe just the premise.
I’ve copy and pasted the premise here but put it behind a spoiler, just so I don’t breach any copyright restrictions

they recommend we fold the club

Am I the only one that sees nothing wrong with retaining Rotham?

Sure, no biggie if he was traded or delisted, but every club needs that useful depth, including us, and Rotham at least has demonstrated he belongs at AFL level.

Not every one of our defenders can be Gov or Hurn Mk II.
Id prefer to keep Witho than Rotham tbh.
We have a few potential 3rd talls including Ginbey and Bazzo now, but a big lack of medium defenders. Witho's brain seems to be rated by the former coaching staff so might be handy, even if hes just a leader in the WAFL

briztoon, why just the laugh react and no response? Can you tell me which parts you disagree with, obviously I haven’t even counted the extra f1 and f2 we have next year.
Sometimes I don't have the time to reply to every post.
Richmond’s most talented kid currently on their list is Gibcus.
Agreed.
The fact you’ve quoted us losing Sheed shows you actually know **** all.
Obviously not 100% across your list. But Sheed looks cooked.
Wouldn’t trade Reid for 1 and 6, 11 and 12 cancel out leaving Richmond with Gibcus, Mcauliffe, 10, 18, 20, 23.
Don't see the relevance of this. My only reply is that Reid can't do it all himself. He's a prodigious talent, but after this draft, Richmond will be further along in their rebuild than West Coast.

Both teams face getting worse, before their recent draftees start performing consistently.
Compared to Ginbey, Hewett, Hough, Long and the 15 other kids we have.
Richmond have quite a few kids I like. Gibcus, Tom Brown, Sam Banks, Tyler Sonsie, Judson Clarke, Seth Campbell.

Hewett has barely gotten on the ground for you, and reading this board, there might be genuine questions if he'll become the player he looked like he might as a junior.

Outside of Harley Reid, Richmond already have more kids of similar talents getting games than West Coast have.
Hilariously bad take.

It’s not uncommon for clubs to leave spots open after the draft to look at train on players via the SSP or to add an extra player in the rookie draft

Clubs don’t have to fill their list on draft night

Agreed, particularly when list spots are tight across the competition and accordingly there are some better than average delisted players this year such as Parfitt and Prior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to see Richmond doing anything but a hard slide.

Retire: Grimes, Martin, Naismith, Pickett

Trade: Rioli (27), Baker (27), Graham (26), Bolton (25)

Continuing: Lynch (31), Prestia (32), Nankervis (30), Vlastuin (30), Broad (31), McIntosh (30),

Below:
Short (28), Hopper (27), Miller (25), Taranto (24), Balta (24), Cumberland (23), Ralphsmith (22), Gibcus (21),
Yep, Richmond are in for a massive world of hurt.
Geez, I don't see much difference on where both team lists are at.

Difference is Richmond traded out some of their mid aged players for picks when they could, rather than letting players age out and retire.

McGovern (32), Gaff (32), Cripps (32), Yeo (31), Kelly (30), Sheed (29).

West Coast have two good key forwards entering their prime years, other than that, there's very little difference between where both lists are at, apart from obviously Harley Reid, and Richmonds plethora of draft picks in this years draft.

Difference is Richmond traded out some of their mid aged players for picks when they could, rather than letting players age out and retire.

West Coast have two good key forwards entering their prime years, other than that, there's very little difference between where both lists are at, apart from obviously Harley Reid, and Richmonds plethora of draft picks in this years draft.
Richmond have no midfield. Taranto is an honest trier and Hopper is garbage, if not permanently injured. Prestia is hamstring injury city.

At least we have Reid, Yeo and Kelly, as well as bringing in some decent mature agers.

Not going to be world-beaters by any stretch but unless Richmond pick up a Daicos/Sheezel in this draft, they are getting pumped on repeat. This draft supposedly has neither and a few around these parts are of the opinion that whoever goes #1 probably wouldn't go top 5 last year. Certainly a very good even draft to fill your boots up on and Richmond may absolutely smash it out of the park but currently, their draft picks are a completely unknown factor. They could do very well, they could completely tank with no mature support around them, like so many clubs before.

Also, Richmond didn't want to trade those players, they all either had contracts, or long term offers for them. Their hand was forced.

The only thing Richmond have to look forward to are draft picks, because their current 2-4 year players are relatively mediocre, based on what they've shown.

They're relying on Balta to probably be KPD, as well as Gibcus, who's been injury-riddled for most of his career. Lynch is their only proven KPF currently, and he's on his last legs.

No notable KPFs coming through. LeFau was looking reasonable until his ACL but unless they land a FA next year, they're going to be very barren on having proven goal-kickers.

WCE certainly have a dearth of young talent in the midfield, for sure. But at the very least, our veterans will sill be around at least 3 years to help develop them and are significantly better than what Richmond have on hand currently.

Whilst I certainly would've preferred to have more picks in this draft, at the very least there's some good WA talent coming through next year and the top few picks are projecting far better than this year's crop. Obviously the latter first round will be heavily compromised and the depth isn't there but WEC at least have the opportunity to make a strong play for Warner, as well as bringing in some good local talent, unlike this year.

If they get top end quality in, and then snag a few good recruits, they should be ok. North are having trouble because they're hobo club. No one wants to go to a foldy club with no fans and outside toilets.
I'd be incredibly surprised if Richmond get decent crowds, like we have been, while they're in the doldrums.

Bandwagoners of the highest order.

Richmond’s most talented kid currently on their list is Gibcus.

The fact you’ve quoted us losing Sheed shows you actually know **** all.

Wouldn’t trade Reid for 1 and 6, 11 and 12 cancel out leaving Richmond with Gibcus, Mcauliffe, 10, 18, 20, 23.

Compared to Ginbey, Hewett, Hough, Long and the 15 other kids we have.

Hilariously bad take.
Gibcus is pure Milli Vanilli. However is pretty solid as a stopper. But yet as they are in yr 1 in their rebuild they will be miles ahead of where we were at the same point.
It's nice to have faith but we have also cocked it up big time so far. Reid at #1 was a no brainer but then what?

Our next most promising player- Ginbey is no Dangerfield, hell we will be lucky if he even end up as a midfielder at this point.
Our team is essentially a bunch of Scott Selwoods & Patty McGinnitys but with pea hearts.

Last edited:
briztoon for those playing at home - I won a few $$$ on this game in like 2018.
I am not not a crackpot
I believe you.

I have a very good reason for not remembering that game. Actually a couple.

It was my birthday. I was in Vietnam for the first time, meeting my soon to be mother in law, telling her we were expecting a baby.

And I may have been drunk with my soon to be brother in law.

Yep, Richmond are in for a massive world of hurt.

You're looking at twice the number of top aged or essential players leaving Richmond vs West Coast.

Richmond centre loading on draft picks isn't a proven strategy. Neither GWS or Gold Coast managed to snag a flag with superior hands and both the 2010 and 2011 drafts were pretty stacked. On the flip side, a less sexy strategy that i don't particularly like in loading up on a lot of journeyman footballers seems to be working at Hawthorn because the coach has got them playing discreet roles and jelling well as a team.

I want to see what Mini can do with Harley, Hewett, Johnston, Bazzo, Chesser, Hall, Dewar, Williams, Mariac, Hutchinson, Brockman, A.Reid and Burgiel. I suspect there is a lot more there than Simpson exposed or had time to.

Lmao Matt Clarke thinking we can't have too many young players on the list. So he didn't wanna take too many 18 year olds this year.
Will Ferrell Lol GIF

You're looking at twice the number of top aged or essential players leaving Richmond vs West Coast.

Richmond centre loading on draft picks isn't a proven strategy. Neither GWS or Gold Coast managed to snag a flag with superior hands and both the 2010 and 2011 drafts were pretty stacked. On the flip side, a less sexy strategy that i don't particularly like in loading up on a lot of journeyman footballers seems to be working at Hawthorn because the coach has got them playing discreet roles and jelling well as a team.

I want to see what Mini can do with Harley, Hewett, Johnston, Bazzo, Chesser, Hall, Dewar, Williams, Mariac, Hutchinson, Brockman, A.Reid and Burgiel. I suspect there is a lot more there than Simpson exposed or had time to.

This is pretty much the only reason why I didn't lose my mind about Richmond getting all these picks. There's been a number of years where both GWS and Gold Coast, especially Gold Coast have done next to nothing for capitalising on that

Now I've thought about it. The Baker trade cost to much. The pick downgrade is bad enough however the late picks, unesesary.

Having said that, the Eagles definitely needed some player's to set standards. How many times have we seen the team just roll over without a yelp.

Hopefully the three players, and the older head's lead the way. Go Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back