List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Richmond have done exactly what we should have done. Kept the experience worth very little on the trade table and got maximum value for the players that commanded a big trade price.

Give me 3-4 years of bottoming out but assembling a premiership contending list over running repairs resulting in a decade of mid table mediocrity any day.

They did very, very well but Matthew Clarke’s salary should be included in their soft cap, not ours.

Will be an interesting watch for the next 10 years

Perfect case study of completely selling the farm and starting again

Everyone on here is rubbishing our trade period for losing our best picks and not getting enough in this draft
Richmond go out and do that and we rubbish them
Right now Richmond are just a victims of their success but took drastic measures to get as many draft picks as possible to rectify it long term.
The eagles looked short to mid term

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is the Richmond list balanced?

No. It's just been turned upside down with key players at their peak electing to move.

It will take several years to balance it and next year they are looking very young and vulnerable.

Eagles list is much better balanced now. And have 3 1sts, 3 2nds and 3 3rds to take to the draft or trade over the next two drafts.

Only way Richmond leap frog us is by trading in mature players. But as we all know Briztoon doesn't factor in players traded in when assessing a list.......except for his own Lions of course ;) .

I thought the problem was selling 3 to bypass real class. But: I know nothing.

True. I was talking about 12&14 vs GWS 15&16. Of course it would have been better if we kept pick 3 rather than splitting. We are less likely to make a mistake with pick 3. We all know our recent track record with these mid first round picks.

Is the Richmond list balanced?

No. It's just been turned upside down with key players at their peak electing to move.

It will take several years to balance it and next year they are looking very young and vulnerable.

Eagles list is much better balanced now. And have 3 1sts, 3 2nds and 3 3rds to take to the draft or trade over the next two drafts.

Only way Richmond leap frog us is by trading in mature players. But as we all know Briztoon doesn't factor in players traded in when assessing a list.......except for his own Lions of course ;) .
Except I’ve never factored this in for my own team.

You try and build some narratives around my postings that I’ve never said, because it suits your imagination.

Go back three years, and certain posters here were saying that the Eagles never stay down for more than a couple of years, they bounce back quickly and win championships, and referencing past history and that you’re a big, rich club.

It wasn’t until WCE_phil starting posting his thoughts on West Coast’s current list status and players and his opinions on your rebuild, did those posters start changing how they spoke about their club.

Richmond definitely didn't push those 4 players out.

Baker was seen as a possible future captain. The tiger faithful absolutely love him.

Graham was offered a very similar deal to what we gave him. He cops it from the supporters but a lot of what he does goes unnoticed. Much in the same way that players like Rowan Jones were maligned.

Rioli just won a b and f.

Bolton is an absolute gun and only 25 years old. A very handy player to keep during a rebuild and would be still around if they were to contend again.

They have just lost 4 senior players and are replacing them with 18 year olds. They will finish dead last next year and potentially even the year after.

Losing these players was not a good thing at all. They just extracted the best possible result from a bad situation.

They now don't have the senior players to guide the younger players, to block for them, to set training standards, to demonstrate how to execute a gameplan, etc.

Take Yeo, Gov, Allen, Waterman out of our side. How would we feel about this?

Push them out or not, they certainly didn't try to hold onto them.

Not a single one of them was held to their contract. Baker OOC obviously. That threat never really got thrown around at all. Bit like us with Barrass. Sure we said we'll be happy to have him back etc etc, but definitely not the hard words of "he's staying, is a required player etc etc, would need to be an insane offer". Instead it's "we'll work with Tom and clubs to facilitate his request".

Richmond saw this deep draft, saw where they were at and have extracted the absolute kings bounty from idiot clubs for their departing players.

They've also got enough to spread it over 2 diff drafts, not just this one. It's not just eggs in one basket, but rather 2. All before Tazzy gets in. Ideal timing.

Not a single one of them was held to their contract. That threat never really got thrown around at all. But like us with Barrass. Baker OOC obviously.

Richmond saw this deep draft, saw where they were at and have extracted the absolute kings bounty from idiot clubs for their departing players.

They've also got enough to spread it over 2 diff drafts, not just this one.
Pretty sure offering Graham a 4 year contract is the definition of trying to hold onto him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond definitely didn't push those 4 players out.

Baker was seen as a possible future captain. The tiger faithful absolutely love him.

Graham was offered a very similar deal to what we gave him. He cops it from the supporters but a lot of what he does goes unnoticed. Much in the same way that players like Rowan Jones were maligned.

Rioli just won a b and f.

Bolton is an absolute gun and only 25 years old. A very handy player to keep during a rebuild and would be still around if they were to contend again.

They have just lost 4 senior players and are replacing them with 18 year olds. They will finish dead last next year and potentially even the year after.

Losing these players was not a good thing at all. They just extracted the best possible result from a bad situation.

They now don't have the senior players to guide the younger players, to block for them, to set training standards, to demonstrate how to execute a gameplan, etc.

Take Yeo, Gov, Allen, Waterman out of our side. How would we feel about this?
They have Taranto, Vlaustin, Nank, Lynch, Broad, Balta and Hopper. It’s not ideal short term that their players of value have moved but its the right call for their next flag.

Although I was just a boy when we left I only heard how crap it was when I visited many years later.

The legend is locals kept breaking into your house and stealing your pants and you had to go to school only in your underpants, and became known as nopantskyle. Then your family moved you to NSW and you vowed to show those bullies that you can make something of yourself and worked your way from the bottom to the very top of the BigFooty food chain and bought your very first pair of pants. And now you're known throughout the lands as pantskyle, the guy that wears pants.

Everyone on here is rubbishing our trade period for losing our best picks and not getting enough in this draft
Right now Richmond are just a victims of their success but took drastic measures to get as many draft picks as possible to rectify it long term.

Richmond have done exactly what we should have done. Kept the experience worth very little on the trade table and got maximum value for the players that commanded a big trade price.

Give me 3-4 years of bottoming out but assembling a premiership contending list over running repairs resulting in a decade of mid table mediocrity any day.

They did very, very well but Matthew Clarke’s salary should be included in their soft cap, not ours.

You'd hate to be going a smidge early on how well Richmond are doing with this course of action though, right?

Not a single one of them was held to their contract. Baker OOC obviously. That threat never really got thrown around at all. Bit like us with Barrass. Sure we said we'll be happy to have him back etc etc, but definitely not the hard words of "he's staying, is a required player etc etc, would need to be an insane offer". Instead it's "we'll work with Tom and clubs to facilitate his request".

They've also got enough to spread it over 2 diff drafts, not just this one. It's not just eggs in one basket, but rather 2. All before Tazzy gets in. Ideal timing.

Baker and Graham were both offered good contracts to stay.

Rioli and Bolton they sold off under contract.

Time will tell if it was the right call.

The legend is locals kept breaking into your house and stealing your pants and you had to go to school only in your underpants, and became known as nopantskyle. Then your family moved you to NSW and you vowed to show those bullies that you can make something of yourself and worked your way from the bottom to the very top of the BigFooty food chain and bought your very first pair of pants. And now you're known throughout the lands as pantskyle, the guy that wears pants.

Gosnells - Wagga Wagga - Melbourne - Sydney, the travelling pants.

Only thing that will make this trade period rated a winner and will save Pyke, is we go full hog on trading in more veterans from the delisted free agents list.

So suggest we delist one of our flaky, flashy, outside players in

Born is pride, from isolation,
Our fortress built, we cross the nation,
Our colours share, the west coast sky,
Our will to win will never die.

and we look to bring in an older style, contested ball beast, albeit it a little slower player in

For years they took the best of us
And claimed them for their own
But now we've got them back again
Our Eagles have come home

We're the Eagles
West Coast Eagles
And we're here to show you why
We're the big birds, kings of the big game
We're the Eagles, we're flying high!

For years we learned the lessons, just forgot them around Simmo's time
And its time we relearned them very well
And now we've added harley magic
And we'll give you very hell

You'd hate to be going a smidge early on how well Richmond are doing with this course of action though, right?
Hindsight is obviously going to answer the question but you can’t make prospective decisions with hindsight. We overpaid for Kelly, no one disputes that but even if we’d paid a fair price hindsight shows it was the wrong decision given we didn’t win another flag but at the time it was the right decision to go all in for another flag.

They have Taranto, Vlaustin, Nank, Lynch, Broad, Balta and Hopper. It’s not ideal short term that their players of value have moved but its the right call for their next flag.
They got steamed with injuries this year. Best 22 will be interesting next year when they have picks 1,6,10,11 int he best 22.

Jagga, Reid, Travagalia will be what I think they pick and add to best 22 right away. Suspect they also pick Armstrong at 11 to develop. and then guys like Berry, Lindsay further down the board. A best 22 of

FB: Vlaustin, Blight, Miller
HB: Broad, Balta, Travagalia
C: Reid, Taranto, Short
HF: Ross, Lynch, Green
FF: Rioli, Lefau, Berry
R: Nankervis, Jagga, Hopper
I/C: Prestia, Lindsay, Ryan, Brown

11 under age of 25 compared to our 7....

I think we know whose rebuilding and who isnt

Richmond had goals and achieved them. They got overs on every trade except pick 20, which would have been accepted that they would need to pay overs for. They'll suck for years but they'll pull in 1-2 more #1 picks and be sitting pretty for a few years in a few years.

I think we achieved our goals this trade period but we should have a better draft hand than we do. At the very least, something in the top 10 and an extra pick in the 20's or 30's.

Hindsight is obviously going to answer the question but you can’t make prospective decisions with hindsight. We overpaid for Kelly, no one disputes that but even if we’d paid a fair price hindsight shows it was the wrong decision given we didn’t win another flag but at the time it was the right decision to go all in for another flag.

Or we could look at 3 teams that have already had similar re/builds in GC, GWS, Melbourne and North to see it's been a less than successful angle for 3 out of the 4 of those.

I just don't think we should be pumping up Richmond's list build after they've just got the spoon, been unable to retain 3 out for their top 5 players and have loaded up on picks. I think it's a sexy way to keep your supporters happy, but yes, tine will tell if this fails again.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back