List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Potentially another 10 list changes next year as well given the players OOC below.
  • Tim Kelly - Probably re signs for 2 years
  • Dom Sheed - Retire
  • Oscar Allen - Big contract extension coming
  • Campbell Chesser - Eagles wont give up yet so will get an extension
  • Tom Cole - Probably re signs for 2/3 years
  • Rhett Bazzo - Eagles wont give up yet so will get an extension
  • Jayden Hunt - Will be 30, might be squeezed out
  • Callum Jamieson - Delist
  • Jeremy McGovern - 1 year deals from now on.
  • Jamie Cripps - Retire
  • Jack Petruccelle - Trade/Delist
  • (R) Jack Hutchinson - Extend him
  • (R-B) Tyrell Dewar (27/3/04) - Extend him
  • (R) Loch Rawlinson (1/6/05) - Likely delist
  • (R-B) Coen Livingstone - Likely delist

Easily in the range of 8 to 10 list changes next year

It’s a big year for Bazzo. He’s had a terrible run on/off field but I feel like it’s a super important year for his development. He should hopefully get a good run at AFL level.

The Age by Position extrapolated through to end of 2025

I have left LEdwards and Rotham in and assume we go to max with 3 ND picks, Champion as a NGA pick up and a rookie.

View attachment 2146918
Go get Jaxon Artemis , half back /wing WA MVP very quick, good user of the ball and gains metres

Looks about right.

Whether we like it or not we can feel pretty confident that if Rotham wasnt cut today he isnt being cut

L.Edwards feels more of that medical retirement decision wait still coming which is what I think he will get
Yep, probably cant trade back into the draft if we keep LEdwards

Hes not needed anyway imo

They have Taranto, Vlaustin, Nank, Lynch, Broad, Balta and Hopper. It’s not ideal short term that their players of value have moved but its the right call for their next flag.
Taking a wholestic view of their list is quite illuminating:

31+
Vlastuin will be 31 in the early rounds of next season, Broad will be 32 at a similar time, Nankervis will be 31 later in the season and Lynch is about to turn 32. Grimes, Prestia, McIntosh, Naismith and Pickett (should he remain on their list) are all a similar age. It is unlikely that any of these are going to improve in the next year or two as they head towards retirement.
I honestly could see 2-3 of these retiring by the end of next year with another 3-4 probably the year after.
Maybe 1-2 will remain after list cuts at the end of 2026.

27-30
They lost Bolton, Rioli, Baker and Graham in this range over the last couple of weeks.
That leaves Taranto, Hopper and Short in the 27-30 age bracket next year, and that's it (three on their entire list).
Hopper is a lesser midfielder than either Yeo or Kelly (and by some margin) and you can't build a midfield around Taranto.
Incidentally Short will be 29 before the start of the season and Hopper will be 28.

22-26
The players they have that will be aged between 22 and 26 next year will be:
  • Balta (104 games, 12.2 disposals, 37 goals)
  • Ross (65 games, 15.7 disposals, 15 goals)
  • Koschitzke (62 games, 8.4 disposals, 66 goals)
  • Mansell (53 games, 9.8 disposals, 32 goals)
  • Ralphsmith (50 games, 12.5 disposals, 15 goals)
  • Miller (46 games, 9.8 disposals, 9 goals)
  • M Rioli (36 games, 7.7 disposals, 26 goals)
  • Dow (34 games, 14.9 disposals, 1 goal)
  • Young (28 games, 9.2 disposals, 0 goals)
  • Cumberland (25 games, 8.2 disposals, 33 goals)
  • Sonsie (24 games, 13.4 disposals, 7 goals)
  • Ryan (23 games, 6.6 disposals, 15 goals)
  • Lefau (10 games, 7.2 disposals, 14 goals)
  • Trezise (8 games, 14.1 disposals, 0 goals)
  • Bauer (7 games, 6.4 disposals, 8 goals)
  • Coulthard (6 games, 5.8 disposals, 2 goals)
  • Blight (3 games, 12 disposals, 0 goals)
  • Colina (0 games)
  • Hayes-Brown (0 games)

Balta is quality. The rest I'll leave for your assessment, but I would suggest that there is very limited quality (or experience) in the remaining players. Your opinion may vary.

In summation I don't think that what Richmond is doing is the best way to go about a rebuild.
Sure they will have 7-8 potentially high quality selections this year.
But the odds are that 4-5 will become good 200+ players and, given the state of their list, I just don't think that's enough.

Also, having a few seniors who will disappear very quality over the next couple of years and Taranta, Hopper and Balta as the sole experienced leaders is likely not going to be a good environment to develop these players to their best potential.
I might be wrong, but I think that Richmond are in for some hurt for some time ahead.

Last edited:
As I’ve said before;
Forward line of OA,Waterman,JW and Archer in the wings looks right up there with the best of them.
Owies will find lots of cover. Brockman more settled, Cripps good cover as he fades away,Long will take a while to reintegrate,Ryan’s got a few years yet.
Defence has Guv for a year or two.Guys; he’s AA so barring injuries he’s not going away soon.Duggan is solid,Ginbey will AA at h/b in the not too distant future,Yo to h/b for a career extension.HEd needs 50 games straight before we call it.One of his earlier coaches said he is super competitive and loathes losing.6’7” and a solid mark.
Plenty of ruckmen/forwards.
Mids led by Harley. I don’t care who says it was only a half of footy but Hutch against Geelong looked awesome.Any football fan worth his salt would have salivated over that.Look where he came from and what he achieved in such a short time. For me he’s a lock for mid No2.
Hewett is the conundrum.Has anyone heard what’s the latest with him?Our new style sounds like it’s right up his alley.I’ll back the club to get him right.
Maric? Can play anywhere .
Need a ruck if Flynn stalls and a small fast defender and a taller good kicking defender.X tra mids and we are not far away. A lot obviously needs to go right but I will be very surprised if we don’t play finals in2026.
If all the cards fell right ( Flynn I’m looking at you) we could sneak in next year!
P.S. Bristool you are!

Potentially another 10 list changes next year as well given the players OOC below.
  • Tim Kelly - Probably re signs for 2 years
  • Dom Sheed - Retire
  • Oscar Allen - Big contract extension coming
  • Campbell Chesser - Eagles wont give up yet so will get an extension
  • Tom Cole - Probably re signs for 2/3 years
  • Rhett Bazzo - Eagles wont give up yet so will get an extension
  • Jayden Hunt - Will be 30, might be squeezed out
  • Callum Jamieson - Delist
  • Jeremy McGovern - 1 year deals from now on.
  • Jamie Cripps - Retire
  • Jack Petruccelle - Trade/Delist
  • (R) Jack Hutchinson - Extend him
  • (R-B) Tyrell Dewar (27/3/04) - Extend him
  • (R) Loch Rawlinson (1/6/05) - Likely delist
  • (R-B) Coen Livingstone - Likely delist

Easily in the range of 8 to 10 list changes next year

Chesser, Bazzo, Dewar would all be potential delistings - they’ll need to come on a bit next season - in Bazzo’s case he will need to stay fit.

Cole (personally a fan) I think will depend how he fits into McQualter’s system.

Petruccelle the same - could be the making of him or could be his last year.

Hunt would be stiff, but again, depends how he fits in.

The rest…pretty close to the pin.

Culley had a bit of mongrel in him too, something very much missing from our list.

Thought that he’d make a good bash and crash type to help out HR9 with his tag, once he’d worked through his knee issues.

Go well young man, you’ll always have charcoal chicken…

Chesser, Bazzo, Dewar would all be potential delistings - they’ll need to come on a bit next season - in Bazzo’s case he will need to stay fit.

Cole (personally a fan) I think will depend how he fits into McQualter’s system.

Petruccelle the same - could be the making of him or could be his last year.

Hunt would be stiff, but again, depends how he fits in.

The rest…pretty close to the pin.

If Dewar shows the same sort of development as last year he will be safe. He was always going to be a slow burn but happy with how he’s gone so far.

Yep, probably cant trade back into the draft if we keep LEdwards

Hes not needed anyway imo
With his concussion issues and the other options it’s a clear move on. I assume there are somethings happening in the back round is why he hasn’t been added to todays group.

Pyke has said we want 3 picks and i reckon that doesn’t include Champion.

I don’t care who says it was only a half of footy but Hutch against Geelong looked awesome.Any football fan worth his salt would have salivated over that.Look where he came from and what he achieved in such a short time. For me he’s a lock for mid No2.
Id like to agree with you on hutch but we just havent seen it enough for me to put him in that category just yet. I think he can be anything, hes obviously got a lot of natural ability and athleticism, hes 190cm and can take a mark too. Fingers crossed he does play that balanced midfielder role next year.
Genuinely could play any offensive role though

Freo just announced their coaching structure and notice they have more on the books then we do. We might not of named the part timers ect but just seems weird. If we ever needed to throw some of that coin we apparently have in the bank. Now might be a good time to do it at coaches and development

Nic Nat still a ruck coach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dewar shows the same sort of development as last year he will be safe. He was always going to be a slow burn but happy with how he’s gone so far.

He showed a bit - but only a bit - if he drops away or struggles to stay on the park he’s no guarantee for 2026.

I like the kid - and he’s close with Champion which might be a bonus too - but he’s no sure-thing as an AFL player either way.

Taking a wholestic view of their list is quite illuminating:

31+
Vlastuin will be 31 in the early rounds of next season, Broad will be 32 at a similar time, Nankervis will be 31 later in the season and Lynch is about to turn 32. Grimes, Prestia, McIntosh, Naismith and Pickett (should he remain on their list) are all a similar age. It is unlikely that any of these are going to improve in the next year or two as they head towards retirement.
I honestly could see 2-3 of these retiring by the end of next year with another 3-4 probably the year after.
Maybe 1-2 will remain after list cuts at the end of 2026.

27-30
They lost Bolton, Rioli, Baker and Graham in this range over the last couple of weeks.
That leaves Taranto, Hopper and Short in the 27-30 age bracket next year, and that's it (three on their entire list).
Hopper is a lesser midfielder than either Yeo or Kelly (and by some margin) and you can't build a midfield around Taranto.
Incidentally Short will be 29 before the start of the season and Hopper will be 28.

22-26
The players they have that will be aged between 22 and 26 next year will be:
  • Balta (104 games, 12.2 disposals, 37 goals)
  • Ross (65 games, 15.7 disposals, 15 goals)
  • Koschitzke (62 games, 8.4 disposals, 66 goals)
  • Mansell (53 games, 9.8 disposals, 32 goals)
  • Ralphsmith (50 games, 12.5 disposals, 15 goals)
  • Miller (46 games, 9.8 disposals, 9 goals)
  • M Rioli (36 games, 7.7 disposals, 26 goals)
  • Dow (34 games, 14.9 disposals, 1 goal)
  • Young (28 games, 9.2 disposals, 0 goals)
  • Cumberland (25 games, 8.2 disposals, 33 goals)
  • Sonsie (24 games, 13.4 disposals, 7 goals)
  • Ryan (23 games, 6.6 disposals, 15 goals)
  • Lefau (10 games, 7.2 disposals, 14 goals)
  • Trezise (8 games, 14.1 disposals, 0 goals)
  • Bauer (7 games, 6.4 disposals, 8 goals)
  • Coulthard (6 games, 5.8 disposals, 2 goals)
  • Blight (3 games, 12 disposals, 0 goals)
  • Colina (0 games)
  • Hayes-Brown (0 games)

Balta is quality. The rest I'll leave for your assessment, but I would suggest that there is very limited quality (or experience) in the remaining players. Your opinion may vary.

In summation I don't think that what Richmond is doing is the best way to go about a rebuild.
Sure they will have 7-8 potentially high quality selections this year.
But the odds are that 4-5 will become good 200+ players and, given the state of their list, I just don't think that's enough.

Also, having a few seniors who will disappear very quality over the next couple of years and Taranta, Hopper and Balta as the sole experienced leaders is likely not going to be a good environment to develop these players to their best potential.
I might be wrong, but I think that Richmond are in for some hurt for some time ahead.
Im not sure why people think Richmond is re inventing the wheel here. They are doing what Hawthorn did with the exception of getting better draft picks for the good players they let go because they were younger (when they let Mtichell O'Meara, Gunston go)

All of the things said about Richmond today were said about Hawthorn 3 years ago and they well and truly lapped us in the rebuild process.

I mean we have won 7 games out of 70. We probably not a good example of the HOW a rebuild should be done. Its probably why other clubs are avoiding doing what we are doing

Im not sure why people think Richmond is re inventing the wheel here. They are doing what Hawthorn did with the exception of getting better draft picks for the good players they let go because they were younger (when they let Mtichell O'Meara, Gunston go)

All of the things said about Richmond today were said about Hawthorn 3 years ago and they well and truly lapped us in the rebuild process.

I mean we have won 7 games out of 70. We probably not a good example of the HOW a rebuild should be done. Its probably why other clubs are avoiding doing what we are doing

Until this year Hawthorn hadn't won a final since 2015, so you'd hope they were ahead of us.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back