List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, for a bloke we traded up to get and was described as ready made and plug and play, Hall was a bit lacklustre. More so for the Beagles rather than his AFL games.

He was hyped a fair bit by the club and track watchers before he got hurt in that pre season game, so that might've raised expectations.

I'm still adamant Chesser never really got his solid block in the WAFL to build him up properly. Go back, play mid and you'll be there until you string together x amount of games with x amount of KPI'S.

Seems his WAFL stint was a brief one and he was soon back into the side and playing the usual somewhat invisible role, as per normal.

His disposals and a lot of his other stat averages actually went backwards in 2024 from the previous season
Mcqualter will want his dan rioli run and carry metres gained role player. Currently, we don't have one, so he will want to develop one. We tried ryan but for some reason gave up on that idea. JJ had a brief moment when it looked likely, but he's gone. Witherden failed miserably. I was hoping burgeil, but alas.

Looking at our lists running profiles, Chesser could quite possibly be that. Maybe Brockman too

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really hate that we gave those late picks to Carlton, worried it could screw us with a champion bid should it come earlier then expected.

Imagine we go into next year with a deficit or have to pass on champion. Would be the icing on the cake.
Was stupid to downgrade those late picks .

Carlton must have been laughing their ass off how stupid we were

Mcqualter will want his dan rioli run and carry metres gained role player. Currently, we don't have one, so he will want to develop one. We tried ryan but for some reason gave up on that idea. JJ had a brief moment when it looked likely, but he's gone. Witherden failed miserably. I was hoping burgeil, but alas.

Looking at our lists running profiles, Chesser could quite possibly be that. Maybe Brockman too

Brockman is quick , great defensively and a neat kick . Makes sense to move him back because he can't kick goals for shit

I did read it. Maybe I’m illiterate. Theres a difference between coming out of contract for the first time after a rookie contract and all hitting free agency at the same time.
My bad.

Again I don’t see an issue with so many players hitting free agency at once.

Some will likely be re-signed on longer deals before they get to free agency.

Others possibly don’t make it.

Best case scenario (for Richmond, not the rest of us) is they’re all guns and willing to take unders to stay together for a flag.

Was stupid to downgrade those late picks .

Carlton must have been laughing their ass off how stupid we were
What did my head in, along with trading 2 late picks for an even later one, was that Richmond only had to give up baker with no sweeteners.

For those hand-wringers still devastated over trading out pick 3 and frothing with jealousy over Richmond's draft picks, I just came across this on the main board:

Richmond hold picks 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23, 24

The idea would be that this years draft crop would help Richmond make a draft push when they mature, which is usually around 25 years of age.

If another team did the same thing with the same picks in 2017 with the idea that 2024 would be the year they'd mature enough to make the finals push, they'd have the following result:

1: Cam Rayner (140 games, 2024 AA squad)
6: Jaidyn Stephenson (122 games)
10: Lochie O'Brien (66 games - delisted)
11: Aiden Bonar (34 games - delisted)
18: Brandon Starcevich (118 games)
20: Callum Coleman-Jones (31 games)
23: Will Walker (6 games - delisted)
24: Tim Kelly (144 games, 2019 AA, 2023 B&F)

Rayner & Starc are good gets. TK obviously great but unlikely to be picked up in a situations like Richmonds.

I guess Tigers fans can be thankful this process wasn't started in 2017 lol

Pretty horrendous list, with Tim Kelly being the best of that lot, as well as the latest picked.

My bad.

Again I don’t see an issue with so many players hitting free agency at once.

Some will likely be re-signed on longer deals before they get to free agency.

Others possibly don’t make it.

Best case scenario (for Richmond, not the rest of us) is they’re all guns and willing to take unders to stay together for a flag.

Possibly but far from optimum. Still reckon they’ll prefer to move 1 or two picks into next year but maybe I’m wrong.
If it gets to draft night and the kid we wanted at 3 is still there at 6, we may ask the question.

For those hand-wringers still devastated over trading out pick 3 and frothing with jealousy over Richmond's draft picks, I just came across this on the main board:

Richmond hold picks 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23, 24

11: Aiden Bonar (34 games - delisted)

Rayner & Starc are good gets. TK obviously great but unlikely to be picked up in a situations like Richmonds.

I guess Tigers fans can be thankful this process wasn't started in 2017 lol

Pretty horrendous list, with Tim Kelly being the best of that lot, as well as the latest picked.
GWS were dumb as f**k, they could have had Brander instead!

Who are we versing in round 1?
i will kill you jim GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a sample size of one year. Would be interesting to look at every AFL year over the past 20 years before forming an opinion.

Some drafts are better than others. Richmond must rate this draft highly and can always move back into the following year.

Wonder if he’s agreed to sign on a dfa with someone

Good luck to him but I don't see him being part of any other team's first 22. Too small to be a KPD, not agile enough to provide run out of defence, foot skills also questionable.

Wasn't too fussed that he didn't get delisted a few days ago, but also not too fussed that he didn't make this final cut.

That's a sample size of one year. Would be interesting to look at every AFL year over the past 20 years before forming an opinion.

Some drafts are better than others. Richmond must rate this draft highly and can always move back into the following year.

I posted in that thread applying the same list to the 2001 draft which every AFL watcher acknowledges was a superdraft.

Result is similar enough.

Didn't have any list spots basically.

For instance, Fantasia is a pure shit truck, yet he stay and Owies goes.

Reckon the Blues would much rather have Owies over Orazio.
Also Durdin, he's absolute rubbish.

Owies miles ahead of both of them.

Motlop didn't have a preseason last year, so they're banking on him having a big preseason/season this year.

Owies defensive pressure was highlighted as an area of weakness.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back