List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
With Barrass going, medium defender depth in Witho and Rotham delisted, Bazzo has question marks, Gov won’t stay fit forever…

We must be looking to get one or both of Carroll from Carlton and Clurey from Port as back up.

No way we go into the season with the current backline options

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Clurey has a contract with Port for next year so we had to trade for him, which was ruled out. That window has closed

Carroll has no contract for 2025 but hasn’t yet been delisted which needs to be done before we can list him as a DFA

Grainger-Barrass might be a train on option

It’s unlikely, but we could look at Trey Ruscoe who had a good season with the Beagles as an option. Same height as Rotham and turns 23 in the next couple of weeks

Clurey has a contract with Port for next year so we had to trade for him, which was ruled out. That window has closed

Carroll has no contract for 2025 but hasn’t yet been delisted which needs to be done before we can list him as a DFA

Grainger-Barrass might be a train on option

It’s unlikely, but we could look at Trey Ruscoe who had a good season with the Beagles as an option. Same height as Rotham and turns 23 in the next couple of weeks
What about the delisted trio of Tomlinson, Jeka and Marchbank?

I would wager all of them would be better than Rotham...and god knows we need defensive cover on the list.

With the departure of Rotham we now have 10 players who will start 2025 between the ages of 26-29

Five of them have arrived at the club since the end of the 2022 season. Three this year

It shouldn’t be that big a surprise we sought to bolster that age group
It’s not a surprise. The surprise is how we’re going about doing it

Sure mate, whatever. It was a flow on from your raise the floor comment, you realise that's how discussions work right? Bit of back and forth, new points are raised and the conversation moves on.

Dude.

We were discussing the forward line.

The forward six were listed.

The bed wetters did what they do. We wont contend for 10 years. Where is the improvement coming from?

Thats what was being discussed.

I listed a forward six with a bench showing where the improvement will come from. Oldest players being Allan and Waterman.

You trot in and start shouting at clouds that we wont contend next season or in the near future.

Totally different discussion

Im not dissagreeing with that at all. But we will improve. We have the building blocks. And sure we are missing pieces.

You can lol and be grumpy all you like. Shout at a couple more clouds if it makes you feel better.

With Rotham gone and L Edwards awaiting medical retirement, I do not want us to wait half a season and leave a spot open for the mid season draft. That would be a waste of a list spot. Holding back will not help anything, including our numbers available for the WAFL team. Fixing the AFL team needs to have greater strength coming up from the WAFL.

Who really thinks that we will have no LT injuries and hence depriving us a pick in the mid season draft. Is it a risk? Yes. Not a very high one.

I like to look at the shape of the draft and have called this a deep draft since before the carnival. As I look at it now, there are players I have in the 4th round that I think in prior years would have been considered third rounders. With the players that will be passed over at the National Draft, there should be some great rookie options. I guess this is what is concerning me in that we are effectively out of R3 and R4. To address it, I would not be adverse to selling a F2 and getting 2 or 3 more picks in R3.

The reason I do not call it a super draft is that the pointy end talent is not great (by comparison 2001 had it all) while this draft feels just as deep. In 2001, there were over 70 players drafted in the National Draft and 50 rookies selected with a handful of post draft signings (and this was with only 16 clubs).

I do have some provisos/possible questions
1. Both Vic Metro and Vic Country have good prospects expected to be drafted. The Vic bias (especially Metro) can have a bigger sway on expectations and views on the draft.
2. This is the first crop of draftees post the Covid impact and we have seen them for a full 4 years at a national level. So much more in known about their recent development. Is this increased exposure driving up expectations?
3. WA and SA feel very much under rated in the draft. Cavanagh & Batten from HUN only had 5 from WA and 7 from SA in their top 60 prospects, way lower than in previous years. I was actually pleasantly surprised how well WA played against what now seems like pretty stacked Vic teams. By example, HUN had Champion rated at 56 and Welsh at 57. At the start of the year, a number of draft watchers who I take note from had these 2 late R1 and R2. Similar with the Campo twins, after the Futures game in 2023, they were seen as possible early R2 picks while they are both pushed back much deeper (Ben was seen by some as possible late R1)

I am hoping to see a re-enactment of the 1989 VFL Draft (as it was known then and rookies were just names for players in their first year)
Pick 4 - Peter Matera
Pick 50 - Dean Irving
Pick 64 - Tony Evans
Pick 78 - Stephen Schwerdt
Pick 92 - Brett Heady
Pick 112 - Ashley McIntosh
Pick 117 - Dean Kemp

Quite a magnificent draft with pick 78 being the only disappointment.

And for the record, the Tigers had a really strong hand in the draft and chose as follows:
1. Anthony Banik
13. Allister Scott
15. Nathan Bower
18. Robert Wren
29. Wayne Campbell (finally nailed a pick)
32. Shaun Slater

Please may history repeat itself 35 years later.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about the delisted trio of Tomlinson, Jeka and Marchbank?

I would wager all of them would be better than Rotham...and god knows we need defensive cover on the list.

Half of the DFAs out there would immediately improve our side.

The question is whether they would want to come here. I am sure we have the salary cap space for whatever they nominate.

Still waiting for the AFL to restore the main list size to 40.
Polish Waiting GIF by Loud Lacquer

It seems some people don't realise you get as many picks as there are spare spots on your list. Since only 60-65 players are drafted each year it means we will likely end up with a couple of picks in the 60s unless we take on a DFA.

Dewar is a Cat B rookie so he stays there unless in the unlikely event there’s no bid on Champion and we are then able to prelist him as a Cat B.

That would require Dewar being moved to the rookie or main list

There’s no imperative to move guys onto the main list as from a playing POV there’s no difference

Rookie list wages also sit outside the salary cap other than match payments

The last 2 or 3 seasons we’ve run with 5 rookies so I don’t think we promote anyone onto the main list unless we have to
Assume we can move Dewar off the the Cat B rookie list if Champion gets through? Or do we have to do it before then?

It seems some people don't realise you get as many picks as there are spare spots on your list. Since only 60-65 players are drafted each year it means we will likely end up with a couple of picks in the 60s unless we take on a DFA.
I think this year in particular there'll be some good talent that late in the draft so cutting deep this year and using those picks in the 60s will be beneficial.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We only have 4 main list spots available, so might still just take 3 in the draft and leave an SSP spot open or sign a DFA.
Rotham makes 5 spots, and LEdwards would make it 6 main list spots if he retires, plus 1 rookie spot
1 DFA/SSP, and 4 draft picks if we keep LEdwards.
Maybe we take a 2nd DFA/SSP just to fill list holes, a KPD and whatever we still need after the draft is possible

Assume we can move Dewar off the the Cat B rookie list if Champion gets through? Or do we have to do it before then?
I’m not aware of any time constraints in transferring players to Cat A or main list from Cat B so if Champion is overlooked in the national draft it should be pretty straight forward. That would be a great result.

Not sure how Jack Carroll the midfielder improves our key position defender depth :shrug: Odd name to throw up.

As a mid, absolutely I'm on board picking up Carroll. Also DGB as a hail merry and his fellow Hawthorn delistee Ethan Phillips. Phillips was a solid defender AFL level and generally dominated VFL, he's only 25.

Have to remember any draftee KPD we select is going to have years developing before they're ready to play AFL, so it makes sense we add a mature player via the SSP.

Barrass himself did a decent WAFL apprenticeship and came in cherry ripe in his 3rd year from memory.

Last edited:
With Barrass going, medium defender depth in Witho and Rotham delisted, Bazzo has question marks, Gov won’t stay fit forever…

We must be looking to get one or both of Carroll from Carlton and Clurey from Port as back up.

No way we go into the season with the current backline options

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Prior from Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back