List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
We screwed our 2024 draft hand but our 2025 picks are now really strong. Lets stop with these silly pick-swap suggestions that will ruin our 2025 hand.

If we finish bottom 4 next year and Hawks drop off a little bit and miss the top 8, we could enter the 2025 draft with a top 5 pick, a 2nd top 10 pick and two more picks in the 20s.

We have plenty of youth we need to get games into as is, Harley, JWilliams, Maric, Hutchinson, Johnston, Hall, Hewett, Dewar, Long, AReid, Bazzo, Chesser, pick 12 & pick 26. Pushing back the bigger intake of draftees by 12 months isn't the worst thing we could be doing.

We screwed our 2024 draft hand but our 2025 picks are now really strong. Lets stop with these silly pick-swap suggestions that will ruin our 2025 hand.

If we finish bottom 4 next year and Hawks drop off a little bit and miss the top 8, we could enter the 2025 draft with a top 5 pick, a 2nd top 10 pick and two more picks in the 20s.

We have plenty of youth we need to get games into as is, Harley, JWilliams, Maric, Hutchinson, Johnston, Hall, Hewett, Dewar, Long, AReid, Bazzo, Chesser, pick 12 & pick 26. Pushing back the bigger intake of draftees by 12 months isn't the worst thing we could be doing.
Could also easily move those two second rounders into a middle of the top 10 given the hunt for points clubs will be going on for academy picks.

And of course the flexibility for Warner.

Dusty was super critical but I think Cotchin’s importance to Richmond’s dynasty period is often overstated. Guys like Edwards and Lambert were just as crucial imo
Edwards was a great ball user. But he can't play without muscle around him. He's your cream on top type mid in a premiership team. He's not dragging anyone up the mountain.

Ryan Daniels on the Hard Ball Gets pod

Here at around 52-53mins

Hmm, can say that was not something I heard about at all, GWS surely would have jumped at it.

My mate has been a passionate Eagles member for over 20 years he has decided not renew his membership next year as he is not happy with the direction the club is going, so i certantly wont be going on my own so i wont be maintaing my membership next year as well. I prefer it live but it looks like ill be watching it on the TV.

Jack Carroll played 15 games and only averaged 10 touches a game? Why would we be interested?
What's the explanation for why he got so few disposals but kept on being selected?
My Carlton mates, said about him: First game this year 'wow' we've got a player here and then slowly declined throughout the year. Very comfortable with his delisting.

Jack Carroll played 15 games and only averaged 10 touches a game? Why would we be interested?
What's the explanation for why he got so few disposals but kept on being selected?
For 2024, Jack had an average game time of 51%, or roughly 41 minutes. Heavily affected by substitution, as others have touched on.

Our top 5 rated midfielders had an average game time of 80%, roughly 64 minuts of game time.

If we give him a weighting of x1.57 of his averages to balance out game time, he he would be:
  • 8th highest rated player on our list this year & 4th highest rated mid.
  • 15.7 disposals & 5.3 contested.
  • 5th highest inside 50's per game @ 3.14.
  • 10th for ground ball gets @ 4.1 & 9th for ground ball gets @ 1.23.
  • 6th for centre bounce attendances & 11th for clearances
  • 13th for goals
  • 7th for score involvments & 14th for score launches.
** Note the above data includes the Baker & Graham data for 2024.
*** It should also be noted, that when Jack did play, he was often played out of position as he was still a long way down the pecking order behind: Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra & Kennedy, who all had at least 50% more centre bounce attendances per game.
**** Yes, I am aware there are a number of variables unacounted for. The above data is just to get an indication.

Given Jack turns 22 in a couple months and looking for more opportunities, I believe we'd be crazy not to have a fair dinkum look at him.

Especially with a draft hand of 12, 26 & 73 (Champion).

Dusty was super critical but I think Cotchin’s importance to Richmond’s dynasty period is often overstated. Guys like Edwards and Lambert were just as crucial imo

And Baker and Graham. Pivotal.

Carlton fans have cut a decent highlights package of him.

He's a bit of an odd unit. Strange gait. Penetrating kick. Doesn't seem slow for mine, which is also handy.

I like the idea personally, don't think there's much moneyball mid depth out there and Carroll still has plenty of upside.

If it came down to SSP signings and we only had room for 1 selection, i'd prefer Carroll > DGB > Clurey at this point.

Just feels like Carroll is more likely to make it and be more handy than the other two.
Decent highlights package. Got a bit of the greg clarks about him

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

They had too many kids. North are in the same position. You either have to have good senior players, or you have to wait until they mature (like Greene, Whitfield, Coneglio at GWS). Both teams also struggle to attract mature talent. Conversely, our club has never had an issue. As soon as we start to build something good, the bro's come home. Yeo, Cripps, Jetta etc.

I'm not saying to have a team of 20 year olds, I'm saying recognise what you best chance of getting top end talent is, and use it. That is top 5 picks and Chad Warner. Your team is only as good as your top end talent.

Not enough kids, too many kids, top 5 picks and guns - right. I think your recipe is a little too basic. I agree top end talent is great, but top 5 specifically can be at the detriment of building a balanced side. Kruezer, Murphy, Gibbs went on to be a dynasty right?

As far as saying Gold Coast had too many picks - how about if they add the goat GAJ and some other mature heads from the get go? That and a zillion top end picks should do it right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Screwing up our 2024 draft hand is still a matter of opinion, informed or otherwise, until the impact of the 'terrible trio' on the team's performance is properly gauged. Meanwhile 12+26 or the draft period might ease the angst of some posters, along with further preseason development of the youngsters (unknown quantity) - then factor all that into a new game plan and coach...

My mate has been a passionate Eagles member for over 20 years he has decided not renew his membership next year as he is not happy with the direction the club is going, so i certantly wont be going on my own so i wont be maintaing my membership next year as well. I prefer it live but it looks like ill be watching it on the TV.
Cut your nose off to spite your face.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not enough kids, too many kids, top 5 picks and guns - right. I think your recipe is a little too basic. I agree top end talent is great, but top 5 specifically can be at the detriment of building a balanced side. Kruezer, Murphy, Gibbs went on to be a dynasty right?

As far as saying Gold Coast had too many picks - how about if they add the goat GAJ and some other mature heads from the get go? That and a zillion top end picks should do it right?
You can't compare Carlton of early 2000s. Ruckmen don't get drafted inside the top 20 these days, let alone at #1. Soft punces like Gibbs don't go top 10. Ditto players who can't kick like Murphy. They drafted the wrong players. No one is drafting that BS in 2024.

We both know if Collingwood or West Coast had all that Gold Coast talent, they're winning a flag. GC's talent kept leaving. No one is doing that BS at Collingwood and West Coast.

The recipe (if you hit bottom 4) is real simple:

• Take ball winning mids with top 5 picks. If a player is of Ugle-Hagen quality, then taking him is also an option
  • Make sure you get a mix of bulls and balanced. It goes without saying that most kids in top 5 have elite disposal and decision making.
  • Take best available with your remaining picks
  • Once you built your midfield, you should be moving up the ladder. Start taking SF and elite outsiders with your top pick. And fill your gaps. If you think you're KPDs aren't going to cut it, grab one of them.
  • start bring gun expats home

It actually is that simple. No guarantees, but the formula is simple.

You can't compare Carlton of early 2000s. Ruckmen don't get drafted inside the top 20 these days, let alone at #1. Soft punces like Gibbs don't go top 10. Ditto players who can't kick like Murphy. They drafted the wrong players. No one is drafting that BS in 2024.

We both know if Collingwood or West Coast had all that Gold Coast talent, they're winning a flag. GC's talent kept leaving. No one is doing that BS at Collingwood and West Coast.

• Take ball winning mids with top 5 picks. If a player is of Ugle-Hagen quality, then taking him is also an option
  • Make sure you get a mix of bulls and balanced. It goes without saying that most kids in top 5 have elite disposal and decision making.
  • Once you built your midfield, you should be moving up the ladder. Start taking SF and elite outsiders with your top pick. And fill your gaps. If you think you're KPDs aren't going to cut it, grab one of them.

Hahaha you really are an oracle - should see if you can snag a freelancing gig with old mate WCE_phil

Tsatas got taken at 5 in 2022. Can't kick. Duursma the year after,soft. Players like these get taken every year in the top 10.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So lining up the Cal's guide and here is the current order

1729647427794.png

Firstly, I have excluded the club tied prospects as they will not be available.

My expectation is that there will be significant variances in the club board orders. That said, the clustering will vary but not greatly.

At 12 - a cluster of Travaglia, Allan, Lindsay, Hynes and Berry (Go Home Hotton is a no as is multiple concussion Trainor)

At 26 - Oliver, Gross, Hannaford, Moraes, or a choice of talls (Mraz, Ough, Barrat, Sims, Gerreyn)

Cal spoke about the 2025 picks being devalued at the moment and us and Bomber will be struggling to buy in at a reasonable price. Point noted.

For those wanting us to buy in at the pointy end, I suspect our F1 is only likely to buy 10 or 11. IMHO, Rodrigues is a better option that Travaglia or Allan, so it feels a waste of that sort of pick
The Hawks F1 will only likely buy pick 19, 20 or 21 if we are lucky. We might even need to add something to it. Not seeing too much of a must have at that range.

As an aside, how tempting would it me for Giants to go the Whitlock twins at 15 and 16. Murray Bushranger lads so not likely to be drawn to Melbourne.

Screwing up our 2024 draft hand is still a matter of opinion, informed or otherwise, until the impact of the 'terrible trio' on the team's performance is properly gauged. Meanwhile 12+26 or the draft period might ease the angst of some posters, along with further preseason development of the youngsters (unknown quantity) - then factor all that into a new game plan and coach...
How those 3 perform is irrelevant. The problem is giving away #3. Even if we the kid we draft at 12 is a gun, and the 2 or 3 kids at 3 are duds, it'll be a case of luck.

After hundreds of pages of posts, 2 posts (don't know who the posters are) can summarise the whole thing:

"Baker lifts our floor, but lowers our ceiling"
"Any of the 17 list managers are going to get Baker and keep 3".

Boom. Thread over.

How those 3 perform is irrelevant. The problem is giving away #3. Even if we the kid we draft at 12 is a gun, and the 2 or 3 kids at 3 are duds, it'll be a case of luck.

After hundreds of pages of posts, 2 posts (don't know who the posters are) can summarise the whole thing:

"Baker lifts our floor, but lowers our ceiling"
"Any of the 17 list managers are going to get Baker and keep 3".

Boom. Thread over.

You can stop posting then. 🙂

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back