List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Prior officially cut. Are we interested?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d look at him as a train on if he’s interested in coming back to WA

By my count, and assuming we use 4 picks in the draft (including Champion) we have two spots to fill via DFA and/or SSP. Depending on what ultimately happens with Luke Edwards, it might be 3 spots

The options are -
• Jack Carroll who I think we should sign as a DFA
• Tom Clurey who we supposedly still have interest in as a mature KPD backup
• Denver Grainger-Barrass who should only be a train in option
• Coby Burgiel who has been invited to come back as a train on option to win his spot back
• Jaxon Prior we should look at as a train on but there’s be no link to us that I know of as yet

Other options I’d like us to explore but I don’t think we will -
• Isiah Winder - big year in the WAFL playing for South Fremantle and may come back with a better attitude after recognising he didn’t take his first opportunity
• Trey Ruscoe had a very solid year for the Beagles and would fill the void created by the departures of Rotham as Witherden as depth for a medium sized defender that skews tall

For 2024, Jack had an average game time of 51%, or roughly 41 minutes. Heavily affected by substitution, as others have touched on.

Our top 5 rated midfielders had an average game time of 80%, roughly 64 minuts of game time.

If we give him a weighting of x1.57 of his averages to balance out game time, he he would be:
  • 8th highest rated player on our list this year & 4th highest rated mid.
  • 15.7 disposals & 5.3 contested.
  • 5th highest inside 50's per game @ 3.14.
  • 10th for ground ball gets @ 4.1 & 9th for ground ball gets @ 1.23.
  • 6th for centre bounce attendances & 11th for clearances
  • 13th for goals
  • 7th for score involvments & 14th for score launches.
** Note the above data includes the Baker & Graham data for 2024.
*** It should also be noted, that when Jack did play, he was often played out of position as he was still a long way down the pecking order behind: Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra & Kennedy, who all had at least 50% more centre bounce attendances per game.
**** Yes, I am aware there are a number of variables unacounted for. The above data is just to get an indication.

Given Jack turns 22 in a couple months and looking for more opportunities, I believe we'd be crazy not to have a fair dinkum look at him.

Especially with a draft hand of 12, 26 & 73 (Champion).
Sounds like he would be good as a free hit as long as just offer him a year as a DFA or invite him to be a train on player.
If Freo are interested, we'll probably need to sign him as a DFA.

I know a lot of the SSP talk is rightly around a key defender (DGB, Clurey) and midfield depth (Carroll) but surely we’d at least look at a mature age ruckman?

We have Bailey Williams, Flynn (injury prone), Jamieson (key defender) and Barnett (not ready).

So lining up the Cal's guide and here is the current order

View attachment 2150205

Firstly, I have excluded the club tied prospects as they will not be available.

My expectation is that there will be significant variances in the club board orders. That said, the clustering will vary but not greatly.

At 12 - a cluster of Travaglia, Allan, Lindsay, Hynes and Berry (Go Home Hotton is a no as is multiple concussion Trainor)

At 26 - Oliver, Gross, Hannaford, Moraes, or a choice of talls (Mraz, Ough, Barrat, Sims, Gerreyn)

Cal spoke about the 2025 picks being devalued at the moment and us and Bomber will be struggling to buy in at a reasonable price. Point noted.

For those wanting us to buy in at the pointy end, I suspect our F1 is only likely to buy 10 or 11. IMHO, Rodrigues is a better option that Travaglia or Allan, so it feels a waste of that sort of pick
The Hawks F1 will only likely buy pick 19, 20 or 21 if we are lucky. We might even need to add something to it. Not seeing too much of a must have at that range.

As an aside, how tempting would it me for Giants to go the Whitlock twins at 15 and 16. Murray Bushranger lads so not likely to be drawn to Melbourne.
Moraes was quite highly regarded coming into the season and has steadily fallen down the order right? As a wing type player how would he compare to Davis?

So lining up the Cal's guide and here is the current order

View attachment 2150205

Firstly, I have excluded the club tied prospects as they will not be available.

My expectation is that there will be significant variances in the club board orders. That said, the clustering will vary but not greatly.

At 12 - a cluster of Travaglia, Allan, Lindsay, Hynes and Berry (Go Home Hotton is a no as is multiple concussion Trainor)

At 26 - Oliver, Gross, Hannaford, Moraes, or a choice of talls (Mraz, Ough, Barrat, Sims, Gerreyn)

Cal spoke about the 2025 picks being devalued at the moment and us and Bomber will be struggling to buy in at a reasonable price. Point noted.

For those wanting us to buy in at the pointy end, I suspect our F1 is only likely to buy 10 or 11. IMHO, Rodrigues is a better option that Travaglia or Allan, so it feels a waste of that sort of pick
The Hawks F1 will only likely buy pick 19, 20 or 21 if we are lucky. We might even need to add something to it. Not seeing too much of a must have at that range.

As an aside, how tempting would it me for Giants to go the Whitlock twins at 15 and 16. Murray Bushranger lads so not likely to be drawn to Melbourne.

Seems certain that O’Sullivan, Smith, Draper, Lalor, Langford and Smillie will be gone by our pick

Ideally the other 5 taken will come from Reid, Armstrong, Trainor, Tauru, Hotton and (judging by the general sentiments here towards him) Allan.

That would leave one of that group plus Travaglia, Berry and Lindsay to choose from with Travaglia the most popular option

With Richmond and North sharing 5 picks between them we’re relying on them both wanting to go tall with at least 2 of those picks. And one or both of Saints and Melbourne taking a tall with one of their two picks each

Carlton and Adelaide will both take mids

I think Berry is a much bigger chance at 12 than we think. On ability alone 12 is not a reach and Mini wants to play footy in our attacking half.

The question for me really is can he primarily play midfield in the medium term? The forward line is not an area that needs urgent attention.

The Richmond style has many HFF pushing up around the ball .

Our connection between our mid and forwards has been poor for a long time .

Berry looks a beauty.

Whilst I do agree with your assessment that our future pick may only buy 8-11 range by itself (if we're lucky)
I don't think clubs look at a future prospect and compare to what they could get by trading back in.
I think that clubs (by and large) see trading back in using future picks as an opportunity to develop a player for an additional year and they consider this pretty invaluable (particularly for a rebuilding side).

Just an FYI Warner will only be a year younger than Kelly was when we traded for him

The team is obviously at different stages, but just a thought when we look at making the trade.
Yeah I wish we had kept pick 3 and drafted the best mid available and then the same next year with our probably top 3 pick instead of splitting and Warner

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mate has been a passionate Eagles member for over 20 years he has decided not renew his membership next year as he is not happy with the direction the club is going, so i certantly wont be going on my own so i wont be maintaing my membership next year as well. I prefer it live but it looks like ill be watching it on the TV.

What isn’t he happy about? I am sure he wanted changes, changes happened. New everything pretty much.

Can’t wait to see if it works?

Imagine if we didn’t have Reid and traded those picks out….house would be burning down.

Tsatas got taken at 5 in 2022. Can't kick. Duursma the year after,soft. Players like these get taken every year in the top 10.

Sure, but it's gone from all the time, to rare. Go have a look at the Tsatas draft. There's me saying, "wouldn't take this kid with a top 10 pick". No one is taking Tom Scully these days with #1.

Carlton fans have cut a decent highlights package of him.

He's a bit of an odd unit. Strange gait. Penetrating kick. Doesn't seem slow for mine, which is also handy.

I like the idea personally, don't think there's much moneyball mid depth out there and Carroll still has plenty of upside.

If it came down to SSP signings and we only had room for 1 selection, i'd prefer Carroll > DGB > Clurey at this point.

Just feels like Carroll is more likely to make it and be more handy than the other two.

We're turning into the saints with all these moneyball acquisitions.

Baker, graham, hunt, flynn.

Potentially clurey, DGB, carroll

Sure, but it's gone from all the time, to rare. Go have a look at the Tsatas draft. There's me saying, "wouldn't take this kid with a top 10 pick". No one is taking Tom Scully these days with #1.
Tom Scully was pretty good. Injuries didn't help, and playing for a terrible Melbourne, then a GWS club starting out.

How those 3 perform is irrelevant. The problem is giving away #3. Even if we the kid we draft at 12 is a gun, and the 2 or 3 kids at 3 are duds, it'll be a case of luck.

Oh come on

Not many go on about it as much as you, but most of us don't like the fact we traded 3.

But if it happens to work out for the best, nearly everyone will have to give credit to Clarke and the club.

Not you. It's just dumb luck and you're right regardless

Jeepers

Tom Scully was pretty good. Injuries didn't help, and playing for a terrible Melbourne, then a GWS club starting out.
He was a good player. The problem with guys like him is they find it hard to get going in bottom 4 teams. That's why you get ball winners if you are near the top of the draft. Scully types are for top 8 teams and teams who think they're on the way up. TK was dynamite for Geelong. Patchy with us when the midfield struggled to win contested ball.

No thanks, coming off injury and a flight risk...

The injury is a concern, but seriously we just have to get over the flight risk concerns with first round draftees.

It is now a 3 year initial contract. 3 years is a significant chunk of time, and more so when you are only 18. Lots of young men grow up a lot between the ages of 17-23/24…

Obviously there are different levels of it, and if it is JHF levels of go home plus JHF personality then steer clear - but if they are just a bit immature (and the best fit for us) take the risk.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was a good player. The problem with guys like him is they find it hard to get going in bottom 4 teams. That's why you get ball winners if you are near the top of the draft. Scully types are for top 8 teams and teams who think they're on the way up. TK was dynamite for Geelong. Patchy with us when the midfield struggled to win contested ball.
Things might have been different for Melbourne if they'd taken Dusty at two instead of Trengove....

Having said that they probably just ruin Dusty's career as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back