List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Harry Edwards tradebait?

A couple of clubs looking at their KD stocks and a bigger player to fill their needs (Saints, Port both looking to make a jump into the 8 in 2023).

We have Gov, Tom & Baz.

Read that he is tracking better than Gov at the same age but he is a hard player to gauge.

Had some good moments and some pretty average ones this season, not surprising with the team up the field.

Feel he would be attractive to certain teams and hold more value than some give him credit for.

Haha.

My predictions aren't the greatest. I thought we were Bottom 4 material at the start of 2018.

I think we can be aggressive in bringing in talent to rejuvenate as well as use the drafts.
I’m sorry to sound so negative compared to most in here but this is how the list looks in 3 years time

All 30 years or older(if even still on the list)
McGovern
Gaff
Redden
Darling
Yeo
Kelly
Barrass
Cripps
Nic Nat
Shuey
Sheed

All under 70 games of afl and at this stage no idea how good
Culley
Bazzo
Chesser
L Edwards
Hough
Next 3 years of draft picks hopefully good

In there prime
A grade
Allen

B grade
Duggin
Ryan
Maybe H Edwards

C grade
Anyone else that is between 22-26 on the current list that are still at the eagles.

You don’t make a preliminary final

I’m sorry to sound so negative compared to most in here but this is how the list looks in 3 years time

All 30 years or older(if even still on the list)
McGovern
Gaff
Redden
Darling
Yeo
Kelly
Barrass
Cripps
Nic Nat
Shuey
Sheed

All under 70 games of afl and at this stage no idea how good
Culley
Bazzo
Chesser
L Edwards
Hough
Next 3 years of draft picks hopefully good

In there prime
A grade
Allen

B grade
Duggin
Ryan
Maybe H Edwards

C grade
Anyone else that is between 22-26 on the current list that are still at the eagles.

You don’t make a preliminary final

Now do the same for this mob:

1662427786203.png

Monocle

Thoughts on Liam Stocker?

DFA still only 22.

Questions on endurance and two way running.

Will he get another shot somewhere else?

Carlton really drafted a heap of mids. Too many even. Dow another top mid picked sitting in the VFL.

Probably a pass there are other issues outside football that come in to play, from what I have been told.

He has been played out of position at Carlton due to their multitude of mids.
Has been assigned defensive roles, as thats an aspect of his midfield craft that the Blues hierarchy were trying to improve.

Also the rumours are that his mgmt have been in discussions with North.

I reckon he get a second chance somewhere else.

Probably a pass there are other issues outside football that come in to play, from what I have been told.

He has been played out of position at Carlton due to their multitude of mids.
Has been assigned defensive roles, as thats an aspect of his midfield craft that the Blues hierarchy were trying to improve.

Also the rumours are that his mgmt have been in discussions with North.

I reckon he get a second chance somewhere else.
Yeah, my worry with him is he came into the system as a really good contested midfielder and was asked to play back pocket. I just think four years of that, it would take too long to get him back up and running as a mid and as a back pocket he's pretty average.

Bulldogs receive: 8, 20, 54 39
Bulldogs lose: Dunkley, 11

Eagles receive: 11, 27
Eagles lose: Rioli, 20, 39, 54

Port receive: Rioli, Dunkley, 39 54
Port lose: 8, 27 (Amon)

(Assuming Amon compo is a second-rounder. Picks after that have been adjusted)

Based on points, values Rioli at ~29 and Dunkley at ~11 8.

Leaves us with 2, 11, 26 and 27 to take to the draft.

Who have I ripped off?

Last edited:
Bulldogs receive: 8, 20, 54

Port receive: Rioli, Dunkley, 39

Based on points, values Rioli at ~29 and Dunkley at ~11.

Who have I ripped off?
Feels like Port do pretty well out of that and Dogs lose a fair bit (essentially two first round picks out for one in).

Bulldogs receive: 8, 20, 54

Port receive: Rioli, Dunkley, 39

Based on points, values Rioli at ~29 and Dunkley at ~11.

Who have I ripped off?
Dogs getting absolutely hosed there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 39 to Dogs, 54 to Port instead?

Tried adjusting it to that. Not sure it helps much.

Shows how misleading the points are. Picks 20 and 39 are supposedly worth pick 8 but no club in their right mind would do 20+39 for 8.

Using points when evaluating trades makes no sense and I cringe whenever someone uses them outside of the context of stockpiling points to match bids.

The vibe is a much better gauge.

Not only that, but when you have 3x cheap picks for 1 good one, people forget you then have to then create extra 2x list spots for those picks…

Makes no sense. So the club that is receiving the cheap picks always has to pay a higher price than picks in the trade. That includes higher salary cap payments as well. So there has to be a premium on the draft points of the higher picks.

No one will trade a Porsche for 3 Hyundais, even if those three Hyundais added up are a higher value. 1. What the hell will you do with 3 Hyundais, higher running costs and 2. no room in garage.

So would Port

View attachment 1500761

Points wise 20 + 26 for 8 has it marginally ahead, that's before adding in Rioli as well

If anything that indicates its a close deal.

No team trades pick 8 to gain only 90 points. They trade a top 10 pick to gain a premium on points as top 10 picks is where the premium talent lies.

I would do that without blinking.

Id then trade pick 2 and a future 3rd to GC for 5 and three 2nd rounders.

Trade two of those 2nds for Lions 1st.

Hit the draft with 5, 8, 13, 31 and 38.

5 Phillapou
8 Busslinger / Mackenzie
13 Hewett
31 Darcy Jones
38 project tall / ruck

Bulldogs receive: 8, 20, 54 39

Port receive: Rioli, Dunkley, 39 54

Based on points, values Rioli at ~29 and Dunkley at ~11 8.

Who have I ripped off?
Dogs give up Dunkley for a 3 spot upgrade in the first round and pick 20?

That's a hard pass. Dunkley is worth a mid range first rounder and a decent second by himself. I know Port don't have pick 20, but something like pick 8 and pick 20 seems about right. I imagine if Dunkely wants to go there they'll be required to give up pick 8 + Amon compo or next years second rounder, at a minimum.

Using points when evaluating trades makes no sense and I cringe whenever someone uses them outside of the context of stockpiling points to match bids.

The vibe is a much better gauge.

I use it as an indicative measure, but yeah it’s pretty flawed.

Alright, let’s try again.

Bulldogs receive: 2, 20

Eagles receive: 8, 11, 27
Eagles lose: Rioli, 2, 20, 54

Port receive: Rioli, Dunkley, 54

We split 2 into 8 and 11, and get 27 in return for Rioli and 20. Leaves us with 8, 11, 26, 27 and 39 to take to the draft.

Dogs upgrade from 11 to 2, and get 20 in return for Dunkley.

Alright, let’s try again.

Bulldogs receive: 2, 20

Eagles receive: 8, 11, 27
Eagles lose: Rioli, 2, 20, 54

Port receive: Rioli, Dunkley, 54

We split 2 into 8 and 11, and get 27 in return for Rioli and 20. Leaves us with 8, 11, 26, 27 and 39 to take to the draft.

Dogs upgrade from 11 to 2, and get 20 in return for Dunkley.

I think Ports future second needs to come in there somewhere as they're making out like bandits getting Dunkley for 8 (essentially).

Such as?

Judd…and…Ebert maybe?

Judd and Ebert yes. Also off the top of my head:

* Callum Sinclair: Wanted to go to Sydney, who gave us Lewis Jetta in return (who they considered to be past it at that point in time). Thankfully we managed to get a few decent seasons out of Jets and benefitted from his leadership. Sinkers was a pretty high-class ruck at the time, but couldnt get past NN and Lycett.

* Matt Rosa: Reached 150 games for us, was signed on for a couple more years then requested a trade to GC in his late 20s. I think we got Tom Cole out of it, who I wouldnt have said at the time was exactly a fair trade.

Now am I saying we should have been complete dickheads and walked everyone to the draft? No. There is something to be said for player welfare. But you cant deny that we dont carry a stigma of being soft traders. The few times players nominate for us we pay out the arse to bring them over here, and when players want to leave we just accept whatever comes our way.

Judd and Ebert yes. Also off the top of my head:

* Callum Sinclair: Wanted to go to Sydney, who gave us Lewis Jetta in return (who they considered to be past it at that point in time). Thankfully we managed to get a few decent seasons out of Jets and benefitted from his leadership. Sinkers was a pretty high-class ruck at the time, but couldnt get past NN and Lycett.

* Matt Rosa: Reached 150 games for us, was signed on for a couple more years then requested a trade to GC in his late 20s. I think we got Tom Cole out of it, who I wouldnt have said at the time was exactly a fair trade.

Now am I saying we should have been complete dickheads and walked everyone to the draft? No. There is something to be said for player welfare. But you cant deny that we dont carry a stigma of being soft traders. The few times players nominate for us we pay out the arse to bring them over here, and when players want to leave we just accept whatever comes our way.
What? Jetta was worth more than Sinclair. And a pick in the 20s for Rosa was more than fair.

Tarryn Thomas name still getting mentioned as a possible want out of North.

We have to be in his ear. Don’t think he will come any cheaper after a horrible year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back