Autopsy Crows vs Hawks - Tear it apart here

Remove this Banner Ad

Others are saying Rough was pretty good
Reading the papers and other posters this morning seems that Rough did go pretty well, looks like I made a bad call (my apologies Rough!) - seemed I barely heard him mentioned in the radio commentary but it did seem a very crows biased call and maybe I was focusing too much on the beers...

Loved Bruest's mini blitz in the last to give us some breathing space. clutch.

Still missed the follow up set shot though. Missed a few of these that would almost ice a game for us now and in big games too. Needs someone to have a chat about clutch set shots.

The fact that he can rove and snap them on the left or right at pressure moments but can't nail them when he is steady and has a set shot tells you exactly where the issue lies.

He is brilliant and this small improvement will make him invaluable to us. He can do it, he used to be known as hopeless when it came to pressure and defensive acts and he fixed that in 1 pre season.

It technically was a correct decision as Thompson had a flat hand touching the back of the hawthorn player - what KB calls his "hands in the back" rule. And yes, it was softer than butter.

Yep, by the law it IS a free kick. it was two motions and a clear hand in the back. Was there to be paid and Geish and KB will defend the decision, rightly, until the cows come home.

Shame neither of them will admit the rule is rats shizen and get off their arses and change it.

Was embarrassing to be in the crowd tonight.

When Goo hurt his knee one person said 'Make sure you all laugh at him when he comes off'

And the crowd was going crazy telling the umpires to get on with the game, saying that the play didn't stop when Tex hurt his knee, now I can't really be bothered talking about how stupid these people were but just thought I'd let you guys know this is what Hawthorn supporters in Adelaide have to put up with :thumbsdown:

Where were you sitting. I was in bay 120 row N and a chardy sipping middle aged women behind me said a similar thing followed by "Get over it you sissy" when goo was being carried off by the trainers.

The look on her face when I turned around and said "you right there or what".

It is the thing I hated about going to Crows games for many years. Uneducated, non footy fans getting out for an excuse to have a few bevvys in public.

right next to her there was a family of Crows fans and the mother kept yelling out the usual "BAAALLLLLLL" and "Deliberate" and "Too HIIIIIIIIGGGHHHHHHH". I think I counted about 5 times when her husband (another Crows supporter) said - "love, we had the ball" or "that would have been against us" to which she would chuckle and say "you have to try and get free kicks for us somehow". At least they were respectful, if not a bit annoying.

Yep, by the law it IS a free kick. it was two motions and a clear hand in the back. Was there to be paid and Geish and KB will defend the decision, rightly, until the cows come home.

Shame neither of them will admit the rule is rats shizen and get off their arses and change it.

While they are at it can they get rid of the stupid in the back rule when someone is already on the ground. It does not effect them getting the ball, runninig with the ball or disposing of the ball. But it will stop those that just drop to the ground so someone will fall on their back.

Not calling him lazy or questioning his work rate. But to me he looks to have lost a yard of pace and I have serious doubts about whether he is as fit as previous years.

Well if he is not lazy and you think his work rate is fine, what's the problem? Sure he has been disappointing he last 2 weeks, but he was good-very good in rounds 1-4. I dont think Buddy has lost any pace, in fact I think he is looking pretty fit at the moment. This is not 2009.

I was happy to see buddy continually try to get himself into the contest. When did we ever kick the ball yesterday to buddy's advantage? It must have been very frustrating for him. I didn't like it when the frustration made him act recklessly and give away stupid free kicks. Another problem I think buddy has, is he tries to take on players too much. If he receives the ball he often looks to barge his way through instead of looking for space or a team mate for a handball.

Very happy we got the four points and we played better that last week so that is a big plus, hope we can run right back into form next week when we meet the Swans. Bit nerve wracking for us supporters but it is good to see them winning the tough ones and not just losing or winning easily.

V good win. Shame Simpkin didn't kick that goal.

Hawks are really struggling with basic skills errors the last two weeks. Too many fumbles, too many missed targets, missed tackles. Good to see them still getting it done.

Clarko, kill the high ball. We should be kicking flat balls to our forwards advantage although they will still probably spill them.

Great to get the 4 points but its looking much like last years finals when we just beat the Crows playing badly and the rest is history.

The hard start to the year is perhaps taking its toll. Hope I'm wrong, but beating the Swans next week will take a monumental effort. Just one more big hurdle and then we can ease of just a bit with the softer draw.

That said, I'm immensely proud.

Nice of the pub in Richmond (Vaucluse) I was at to turn the TV off in the third when it was getting close, for the thugby that was just down the road.

Scumbags

Goals from free kicks yesterday:
Adelaide 4
Hawthorn 0

Source: Sunday Age champion data.
Can you post this on the Adelaide board and maybe the send it to the Adelaide media so they STFU about bad the umpires were against them. It was clear double standards yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defence held up really well. Good to see Gunston get a few goals. After his mark and conversion from the goalsquare I thought we were safe.

Main concern for me was Dangerfield slicing us up at the centre bounce all day long. Didn't seem we had any effective strategy to counter. Need to make more of forward entries as well , too many kicks went straight down Rutten's throat.

Defence held up really well. Good to see Gunston get a few goals. After his mark and conversion from the goalsquare I thought we were safe.

Main concern for me was Dangerfield slicing us up at the centre bounce all day long. Didn't seem we had any effective strategy to counter. Need to make more of forward entries as well , too many kicks went straight down Rutten's throat.

Good luck curbing Danger if he is in the mood. F*CKING gun he is.

Only listening on the radio, but the number of times Rutten marked in our forward line was eerily reminiscent of one Harry Taylor. Reckon Sanderson was doing something with the Crows structure and style of play that he learnt at Geelong?

Only listening on the radio, but the number of times Rutten marked in our forward line was eerily reminiscent of one Harry Taylor. Reckon Sanderson was doing something with the Crows structure and style of play that he learnt at Geelong?

Maybe defensively but their ball movement going forward wasn't very similar to Geelong's. Crows tended to take the straight kick down the line almost every time rather than running in patterns and opening up the corridor like Geelong tend to do.

Great last quarter. That's about it.
Shabby , is how I'd describe the AAMI game shabby.
I don't know about you people but I thought the Crows looked better for a lot of that game. I think the stats are wrong , I thought they were getting the clearances more than us and we played in bursts.
But the bullshit free against Gibson in the last had me walk out of the room. I came back and watched the last minute , good result I guess, but if the free stats are correct I'm going blind.
The fumbling is atrocious and they did it last week too. Poor Buddy is hounded by umps like Guerra and is deadly out of form too. But we still won. Its hard to watch when the opposition kick goals from frees half the game. Or get frees resulting in goals down the ground, and when you see things the same that we don't get frees from .
Well you folks tell me am I just imagining this when and where we get frees seems a bit one sided the other way to me.

Maybe defensively but their ball movement going forward wasn't very similar to Geelong's. Crows tended to take the straight kick down the line almost every time rather than running in patterns and opening up the corridor like Geelong tend to do.
I thought the Crows attacked their goals from the flanks too much.

Just rewatched the first quarter.

One thing we did so well was guard the 'danger zone'. It reminded me of what Geelong had done to us so effectively. Adelaide had more shots at goal but they were all from bad spots and the conversion reflected that.

Skills dodgy - too many little kicks intercepted, too many handballs bouncing in front of their targets. Was Lake playing the Schoey's role? Seemed to be a long way from goal. We looked so much better when disposals were longer. Short handballs getting us in a muddle, longer handballs that release players doing the damage. Adelaide's pressure was great, but we clearly set up much more effectively than them.

I'll roll out a more full-game analysis once I've watched the whole thing again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Crows vs Hawks - Tear it apart here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back