Review Dees v Port West Horsham: Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH, that’s about as poorly as we can play and win. So many key players off it, smashed in the clearances and still got the choccies. Very satisfying.
They showed up in the last quarter. Great grinding win. Port certainly missed their chances but shows you need to hang in there and it can turn your way. Essendon the same today, saints blew their chances and essendon got on top in the end. Also kicking 15.6 is a great result considering our forward line isn't great or weren't great. Backline was pretty good after a very shaky start.

Can't complain too much, just our midfield getting badly beaten for 3 quarters wasn't great.

Dermie bringing up expected scores is pretty funny because we've never been on the wrong end of that stupid stat.

Watching that Windsor goal again, that change of direction is uncommon and then he hits the accelerator off a standing start to put space in between him and his opponent so he can straighten up on the right foot. He just moves differently and does things others in this team cant. Might already have the second best hands in the team in tight behind Oliver.

Last edited:
Gawn: "I wanna get up and punch Goody in the face when he talks about expected scores"

Knight that man!

Watching that Windsor goal again, that change of direction is uncommon and then he hits the accelerator off a standing start to put space in between him and his opponent so he can straighten up on the right foot. He just moves and does things others in this team cant. Might already have the second best hands in the team in tight behind Oliver.

He isn't just quick he is super balanced. Seriously, seriously talented kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also fugly: I'm sucked back in lol
They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

Watching that Windsor goal again, that change of direction is uncommon and then he hits the accelerator off a standing start to put space in between him and his opponent so he can straighten up on the right foot. He just moves differently and does things others in this team cant. Might already have the second best hands in the team in tight behind Oliver.

Jayden Hunt could do the same, and has before

Don't know how we won that one. It never really felt like we were clearly on top or in control of the game, but we just kept finding the goals when we needed them. I thought both teams were pretty mediocre in the first half, but it turned into a great game in the second half. A lot of our wins in the past couple of seasons have been hard work to watch, but this one was really enjoyable.

Good:

• ANB BOG. Has really grown from consistent role-player into one of our best players in the last couple of seasons. Amazing how he keeps improving year-on-year.
  • Ben Brown played a really important role. Didn't get a lot of it, but he has more genuine forward craft than most of the others on the list. If he can average a couple of goals a game that's going to make a huge difference to our chances this year.
  • Rivers was also really good - probably our second best behind ANB - but I'd like to see him use his pace to find a bit more space for his disposal sometimes. Kicks a lot of rushed dump kicks.
  • Lever's intercept marking was back tonight, but he's a worry when he gets caught out one-on-one. Some weird disposals from him tonight as well.
  • Oh my god, how much difference does it make when we a) find targets inside 50, and b) convert our chances? We won with 21 fewer inside 50s tonight. I can't remember the last time that happened.

Bad:

- I thought the midfield were beaten pretty solidly tonight. Gawn was good without ever really dominating, Viney started well and Oliver finished well, but otherwise I thought we were outplayed in there. Butters, Rozee, Boak and Drew were probably the 4 best midfielders on the park tonight. Still, it's a good sign that we can find a way to win against a good team with Viney, Petracca and Oliver all playing middling games.

Ugly:

- We had a taste of what life might look like after Steven May, and it had me pooing my pants a bit. The backline held up okay all things considered, but hooboy there were moments there where I thought we were going to get destroyed by Dixon and Finlayson of all people. McDonald has exceeded my expectations down there this year, but I'm gonna be pretty bloody nervous any time the opposition gets the ball inside 50 while he's our number 1 KPD.

My dear friends, that is a victory for the ages. The day will come when we are back to being thumped again - this is a golden age for us!

Review Dees v Port West Horsham: Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back