Review Dees v Port West Horsham: Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: ANB was best on ground. His workrate is phenomenal. He is in brilliant form right now.

Bad: We won in spite of our lack of F50 defensive pressure. 0 tackles from Kozzy, JVR and Brown; Kozzy and JVR are really concerning especially given that they are given midfield minutes. I am sure either would have made physical contact if they had the chance to snipe someone.

Fugly: Overall Lever played a really good game be he had some infuriating moments with his disposal. I wish he would clean up that part of his game but he does it every week. Part of his brand and dna I guess...

JVR needs a role change or a spell at Casey. He is capable of much better.

Welcome aboard the expected score train new goal kicking accuracy fans! :thumbsupv1:

train GIF
Also welcome aboard the new change the game plan fans.

Thought Woey was more than fine when he came on as sub, should have pulled Billings for him sooner but Goody genuinely terrified of an injury happening straight after it like what happened in round 1.

Good:
Nibs backed up his best ever game last week with an even better game this week.
Team defence all over the ground. Port weren't allowed many easy I50's.
If we kick like this in front of goal the rest of the year we'll win the premiership.

Bad:
Billings couldn't get near the ball.

Fugly:
I don't recall Caleb Windsor giving "full credit to the boys" once during the post match presser. Not acceptable

That was a very gutsy win, the kind we haven’t had enough of for the last 2 years. And a very rare win in which at least a couple of Trac/Oliver/May/Gawn weren’t the difference.

ANB was outstanding, he was the clear difference in being able to win the ball, be clean and finish. Riv was also excellent despite a few mistakes.

Considering Port looked way too quick early and continued to get some pretty good looks throughout the game I thought some of the individual defensive efforts from Howes, Lever and Riv were very important.

On the downside, I’m getting really worried about JVR’s trajectory, Kosi’s lack of involvement for 90% of each game and Fritsch being non-competitive for 2 out of every 3 games. I feel like Stafford and Goody’s forward line set up is slowly strangling 3 dynamic forwards.

Thought Woey was more than fine when he came on as sub, should have pulled Billings for him sooner but Goody genuinely terrified of an injury happening straight after it like what happened in round 1.

Woey looks good to me. He tackles well, has pace and is a pretty good ball user. He should stay sub until a half forward spot opens up permanently. Sparrow lucky he kicked two last night or I’d have said get him into that spot.

That was a very gutsy win, the kind we haven’t had enough of for the last 2 years. And a very rare win in which at least a couple of Trac/Oliver/May/Gawn weren’t the difference.

ANB was outstanding, he was the clear difference in being able to win the ball, be clean and finish. Riv was also excellent despite a few mistakes.

Considering Port looked way too quick early and continued to get some pretty good looks throughout the game I thought some of the individual defensive efforts from Howes, Lever and Riv were very important.

On the downside, I’m getting really worried about JVR’s trajectory, Kosi’s lack of involvement for 90% of each game and Fritsch being non-competitive for 2 out of every 3 games. I feel like Stafford and Goody’s forward line set up is slowly strangling 3 dynamic forwards.
41 inside 50s and we kicked 15.6, if we do try and hit up more targets our smalls will get less useless disposals because the ball won't be on the ground as much.

JVR being killed by having to fight with Fritsch and Brown, 3 talls is too many and while Fritsch is dangerous with the ball on the ground they all generally aren't involved in the game at ground level.

Brown and Fritsch have to spend 90% of the game inside 50 so JVR is gonna be the one sacrificed around the ground.

41 inside 50s and we kicked 15.6, if we do try and hit up more targets our smalls will get less useless disposals because the ball won't be on the ground as much.

JVR being killed by having to fight with Fritsch and Brown, 3 talls is too many and while Fritsch is dangerous with the ball on the ground they all generally aren't involved in the game at ground level.

Brown and Fritsch have to spend 90% of the game inside 50 so JVR is gonna be the one sacrificed around the ground.
I'd be fine with it if we replaced brown with Petty. Don't really agree with the notion that Fritsch is a tall or plays tall. He kind of does it both ways but lately he's just been spending too much time trying to get easy ones out the back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rivers was fine but just not impacting games like he was last year. 27 of the most bland Rivers possessions ever last night, wouldnt have know he lead the possession count if I didnt look it up. Hated when he fumbled a great Windsor handball back in the corridor during the third quarter. (no lone soldier there, we had a lot of those)

I'd be fine with it if we replaced brown with Petty. Don't really agree with the notion that Fritsch is a tall or plays tall. He kind of does it both ways but lately he's just been spending too much time trying to get easy ones out the back.
Of course he plays tall, can't throw him into the midfield or on the wing like you can with Pickett. If Fritsch is in the team he's locked inside 50 same as Brown.
Fritsch is dangerous with a couple of steps to snap but he's zero impact on the game outside of forward 50 craft is my point.

Centre clearances were abysmal. Even when we got the best of it we ****ed it up a tonne and let Port win it, said it during the game day thread I counted 3 times that Gawn hit the ball down Trac's throat on the move with space in front of him and he drop it cold each time.

Of course he plays tall, can't throw him into the midfield or on the wing like you can with Pickett. If Fritsch is in the team he's locked inside 50 same as Brown.
Fritsch is dangerous with a couple of steps to snap but he's zero impact on the game outside of forward 50 craft is my point.
So Farmer was a tall forward then. 🤔

Fugly: Listened to SEN and it sounded like they thought the margin was 6 or less. There was no way they were scoring twice after that last Finlayson goal.

Are you trying to be danster?
No, just saying stay at home forwards don't have to always play as talls. Your most dangerous forwards stay in the forward 50 be it tall or small.

No, just saying stay at home forwards don't have to always play as talls. Your most dangerous forwards stay in the forward 50 be it tall or small.
Yeah but that's not my point in the slightest. When you pick Fritsch he's a forward 50 only player. Talls a shit choice of words by me then but with Fritsch and Brown they are essentially forward 50 only players which means JVR has to spend the time roaming the ground chasing the second ruck and doing dirty work because the other 2 key types won't/can't

Yeah but that's not my point in the slightest. When you pick Fritsch he's a forward 50 only player. Talls a s**t choice of words by me then but with Fritsch and Brown they are essentially forward 50 only players which means JVR has to spend the time roaming the ground chasing the second ruck and doing dirty work because the other 2 key types won't/can't
I think Brown is one dimensional for sure and cant be used anywhere else but thats harsh on Slick, I think we choose to keep him in F50 coz he gives teams the most grief and is one of our best finishers , im sure he could play a different role if he trained for it.

I think Brown is one dimensional for sure and cant be used anywhere else but thats harsh on Slick, I think we choose to keep him in F50 coz he gives teams the most grief and is one of our best finishers , im sure he could play a different role if he trained for it.
Sure but he's picked as a forward and that directly effects JVRs role if you pick Brown as well which was the point I started with. I love what Fritsch does he'll be stiff he might never be AA but if they wanna keep playing Brown as well I can see JVR continuing to struggle alot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees v Port West Horsham: Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back