Review Dees v Western Fail Dogs: the Good, Bag and Ugly - Woof

Remove this Banner Ad

He got a bit testy when people brought up Oliver and Viney saying its not the place to talk about individuals and he'd talk to them during the week, media finally did their job and asked some legitimate questions. Was nice to see.
Not the place to talk about his boys club individuals, yet smashes Tom Fullarton in front of everyone after the Freo game.

He needs to go.

We can say that the list is bad a blame timb lamb but the performance last night can't be blamed on the list, it was an insipid effort. Having said that I don't want to take credit from the Bulldogs either they look good and have made light work of some pretty decent teams recently. Carlton, Geelong and Sydney. They are clicking at the right time.

I actually don't think it's an effort thing. I don't think any of the players don't try.

I think the system is broken and the buy-in to that system isn't there.

It's a coaching group issue imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gawn after the game:
"It was tough, especially with a lot on the line in Friday night footy. So it’s disappointing, but we go away on the weekend, almost think about what we’ve done, and then come Monday and attack the back half of the year.

(when asked about now not playing finals):
"To be honest, I’m not too stressed on the bigger picture. I’m just extremely disappointed with what we put out for our supporters tonight. The main thing is to bring a Melbourne game and something that our members and supporters will be proud of come Saturday night against Port and then the rest will take care of itself. It’s more about putting pride back in a jumper."

Tbh those answers are simply not acceptable imo

Gawn after the game:
"It was tough, especially with a lot on the line in Friday night footy. So it’s disappointing, but we go away on the weekend, almost think about what we’ve done, and then come Monday and attack the back half of the year.

"To be honest, I’m not too stressed on the bigger picture. I’m just extremely disappointed with what we put out for our supporters tonight. The main thing is to bring a Melbourne game and something that our members and supporters will be proud of come Saturday night against Port and then the rest will take care of itself. It’s more about putting pride back in a jumper."

It is what happens when you open the wrong response can.

It's so the Melbourne way after another pathetic loss "all we can do now is turn up next week and show them the true Demon spirit, we'll show since pride next week. We'll let our footy do the talking"

Problem is, they've said that after the game the previous 2 weeks.

It's so the Melbourne way after another pathetic loss "all we can do now is turn up next week and show them the true Demon spirit, we'll show since pride next week. We'll let our footy do the talking"

Problem is, they've said that after the game the previous 2 weeks.
Didn't they say that after the West Coast and Freo losses? Words are one thing, actions are another. You can't trust this team.

Gawn after the game:

Gawn has made these comments ever since he took over though. It's just that now we're tumbling down the ladder that the responses seem infuriating. It's like the club is brainwashed or something trotting out this dribble.

Gawn after the game:

EIQz2FrW4AAP99y.jpg

Someone should tell him that a lot of members and supporters are sick and tired of a Melbourne game. Dont bring that, anything but that.

How did VFL star Sparrow go?

I gave up watching at half time, there is a limit to how much self abuse you can tolerate.

It would have been nice if we had played a tagger on Bont. We really need a James Harmes or James Jordan type on our team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As one of the three non-cheersquad-nuffie Dees fans who attended last night, it really was a miserable game.

We stand for nothing, we legitimately have no exciting talent outside Kosi, and out game plan remains "bomb it down the wing" and "bomb it into the forward line".

A lot of people heap blame partly on van Rooyen, but I have all the sympathy in the world for him. He's an up and coming key forward - who are notorious for taking longer to develop/break out, and this isn't helped by a combo of zero structure as we enter 50, no recognition or clearing of leading lanes, and he and the other forwards are being coached by a 120kg ruckman.
There was literally zero planned connection between our mids and forwards all game. We either bombed it in high and long, or "at best", we kick it to a 1v1, but never to where the forward would ideally have it kicked. So they begin doubting hard leads (of which there may have been 2-3 all game) and instead either soft jog lead, or just engage their opponent - which is what Rooyen ends up doing a heap.

On top of that, Goodwins refusal to play a second genuine tall (or traded out the one we had) means a young developing key forward is spending way to much time in the ruck. It's one thing for him to ruck when i50, but 7 or 8 times, he came off the bench and went straight into the ruck for 5+mins.

Dogs on the other hand had excellent leading lanes and plans, taking numerous marks either on hard leads, or over the top thanks the void these hard leads created.
Oh, and they have 2 genuine ruck options, on top of 2 (even 3) key tall forwards. They tore us up.

But their kicking made even that aspect of the game hard to enjoy.

Worst was being told by a Dog's mate that I should be happy they're kicking poorly. Told him bullshit, I'd legit rather be blown away.

Seriously, I'm sick of Gawn's talk - we don't walk the walk, and we are miserable to watch.

Christ all mighty this fascination with saying Stafford can't be forward coach because he was a ruck is insanely dumb

Most of the great modern coaches were tough back pockets
Sheedy, Malthouse, Clarkson, Scott, Hardwick etc

Recognizing our game plan is bombing it long then blaming the forward coach is also stupid, impossible to set up a functional forward line when the opposition have to set up for the bomb to the pocket

Gawn after the game:

There's a pretty obvious push coming internally to never rule out finals or talk about it directly. These are clearly the media lines of a club that still hasn't come to terms with the reality of our situation.

Same stink that comes from Petracca being listed as "indefinite" instead of "season". Same stink that comes from putting Gawn, May and Oliver on the field even when they shouldn't be out there

Last edited:
Just listening to SEN and losing my mind hearing them talk about us.

Just the excuses they were making for us. The whole, "but its so hard to win another flag" yeah I know that but I thought they would've won a single final since then

Kept bringing up losing Petracca as if we didn't get smacked by West Coast and Freo when he was actually playing

Last edited:
Just listening to SEN and losing my mind hearing them talk about us.

Just the excuses they were making for us. The whole, "but its so hard to win another flag" yeah I know that but I thought they would've won a single final since then

Kept bringing up losing Petracca as if we didn't get smacked by West Coast and Freo when he was actually playing

What annoys me is I don’t think we have all expected another flag - if we’d won a ****ing final at our home ground in both 2022-2023 I think the supporters would be much more forgiving, but we didn’t.

Christ all mighty this fascination with saying Stafford can't be forward coach because he was a ruck is insanely dumb

Most of the great modern coaches were tough back pockets
Sheedy, Malthouse, Clarkson, Scott, Hardwick etc

Recognizing our game plan is bombing it long then blaming the forward coach is also stupid, impossible to set up a functional forward line when the opposition have to set up for the bomb to the pocket
No, I'm saying our forwards simply and clearly aren't developing. Sticking with a coach(es) who are clearly failing is ridiculous.
It's one thing if the coach is a former great at that role they probably get a bit more opportunity and time - but sticking with a guy with no real experience in that area, and more importantly, who's got nothing to show for his work, is crazy.

It's just not working.

There's a pretty obvious push coming internally to never rule out finals or talk about it directly. These are clearly the media lines of a club that still hasn't come to terms with the reality of our situation.

Same stink that comes from Petracca being listed as "indefinite" instead of "season". Same stink that comes from putting Gawn, May and Oliver on the field even when they shouldn't be out there

I hate how stage managed our media work is. Even Gawn who is normally pretty honest comes out with the same crap. You could tell Trac wanted to go off script after he got hurt because he was rightfully angry with the club, but he’s too professional for that.

What annoys me is I don’t think we have all expected another flag - if we’d won a ****ing final at our home ground in both 2022-2023 I think the supporters would be much more forgiving, but we didn’t.
Couldn't agree more
I never thought we were just going to waltz into another flag.
I went to all 4 MCG finals losses and it was just awful, If we had won at least 1 of them I would've look back on this era a lot more favourably

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees v Western Fail Dogs: the Good, Bag and Ugly - Woof

Remove this Banner Ad

Back