Phillips - 1 year deal
George - 1 year deal
Archer - 1 year deal
Harvey - 1 year deal
Maley - 1 year deal
Ford - 2 year deal
Dawson - 1 year deal

Seems about right.

I’d probably give Kal Dawson 2 years if he plays well upon his return.

Phillips I think asks for a trade, as does Ford and Scott. Ford shows a bit, so 2 years is fair.

If we can extract picks in the 30’s or 40’s for Scott and Phillips, we would probably take it at this stage.

Seems about right.

Phillips I think asks for a trade, as does Ford and Scott. Ford shows a bit, so 2 years is fair.

If we can extract picks in the 30’s or 40’s for Scott and Phillips, we would probably take it at this stage.
I dont think Phillips will ask for a trade.

Greenwood - Retire
Shiels - Retire
Taylor - Delisted to Keilor
Thomas - Delisted
Sellers - Delisted
Drury - Delisted
Free - Delisted
Hansen Jr - Delisted

Lazzaro - Rookie
Pink - Rookie

Zurhaar - Free Agent to *
Bailey Scott - Possible trade OR re-sign
Phillips - 1 year deal
George - 1 year deal
Archer - 1 year deal
Harvey - 1 year deal
Maley - 1 year deal
Ford - 2 year deal
Dawson - 1 year deal
And there’s at another 5 that are lucky they’re contracted.

How can we have a third of our list delisted and we wouldn’t miss them

Greenwood - Retire
Shiels - Retire
Taylor - Delisted to Keilor
Thomas - Delisted
Sellers - Delisted
Drury - Delisted
Free - Delisted
Hansen Jr - Delisted

Lazzaro - Rookie
Pink - Rookie

Zurhaar - Free Agent to *
Bailey Scott - Possible trade OR re-sign
Phillips - 1 year deal
George - 1 year deal
Archer - 1 year deal
Harvey - 1 year deal
Maley - 1 year deal
Ford - 2 year deal
Dawson - 1 year deal
Hard to argue.

I'd put some time and effort into seeing if there's a player in RHJ before last rites.

Whilst Drury did a few ok things I'm lost as to why he was the best risk reward prospect we could come up with 12 months ago.

Then again 12 months earlier we felt our best swing for the fence with the rookie #1 pick was to recruit an assistant coach.

I hope Zurhaar stays.

It's a pity we haven't found a way for Sellers to fire a shot in the seniors. We killed him throwing him in an inevitable drubbing against the best interceptors in the league. Hold a tiny hope we give him a slightly nicer 2nd chance at some stage before getting the red pen out.

Is Nuyon on a 1 year deal? Has some talent But another one who probably won't click in time.

A losing culture with almost no proven assured leaders just makes it so hard for these guys to show what they can do in the AFL.

Wouldn't shock to see a couple of Mason Woods pop up in a better system. Someone like Birdcage Taylor getting a shot at the Swans for example.

Seems unlikely but 3 months of test, some extremely high standard leaders and a set role in a well drilled unit, who knows.

Seems about right.

I’d want to see Dawson spent the 2nd half of the seasons in the seniors playing like he did pre-injury and working well with his namesake and Logue when he comes back as well as Charlie. If he can stay fit and hold down a spot then 2 is fine. But at the moment it’s a 1 year deal.
Phillips may want to stay and fight.
Scott I don’t have a feel on. Ford will stay IMO.
And there’s at another 5 that are lucky they’re contracted.

How can we have a third of our list delisted and we wouldn’t miss them
If Nuyon, CCJ, Stephenson and Tucker weren’t contracted - they’d be in the gun.
Hard to argue.

I'd put some time and effort into seeing if there's a player in RHJ before last rites.

Whilst Drury did a few ok things I'm lost as to why he was the best risk reward prospect we could come up with 12 months ago.

Then again 12 months earlier we felt our best swing for the fence with the rookie #1 pick was to recruit an assistant coach.

I hope Zurhaar stays.

It's a pity we haven't found a way for Sellers to fire a shot in the seniors. We killed him throwing him in an inevitable drubbing against the best interceptors in the league. Hold a tiny hope we give him a slightly nicer 2nd chance at some stage before getting the red pen out.

Is Nuyon on a 1 year deal? Has some talent But another one who probably won't click in time.

A losing culture with almost no proven assured leaders just makes it so hard for these guys to show what they can do in the AFL.

Wouldn't shock to see a couple of Mason Woods pop up in a better system. Someone like Birdcage Taylor getting a shot at the Swans for example.

Seems unlikely but 3 months of test, some extremely high standard leaders and a set role in a well drilled unit, who knows.
Bobby is finished.
Not looking like getting near it and continues a pretty rough streak for North of indigenous players not good enough to make the grade. And we usually get it more right than wrong.

Drury won’t ever possess an elite attribute that will carry him through an AFL career. Solid state leaguer and nothing more.

Sellers looks like he’s running with lead in his boots not getting near it in his two games. Sad to see.

Biggy has a 2 year deal believe it or not which just has me scratching my head.

Just so much average everywhere you look.

Anyone know how far Logue is from playing a game ? Even if it’s in the VFL at first?
He will reshape our whole team when he gets back .
LMac Logue Archer
Corr Chom McKercher (KDawson interchange)
Will be a solid defence 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know how far Logue is from playing a game ? Even if it’s in the VFL at first?
He will reshape our whole team when he gets back .
LMac Logue Archer
Corr Chom McKercher (KDawson interchange)
Will be a solid defence 👍
The irony is for all the talk about our backline I personally think with Logue back it's got more than enough to work with. We have forward issues (desparately need a tall leading player with good hands and to punt a mid sized player for fast / pressure / goalkicking), but IMO even what we have now would be working ok if we could actually generate something close to parity in inside 50's. We aren't giving them much to work with, although granted, forwards need to provide the options as well.

The irony is for all the talk about our backline I personally think with Logue back it's got more than enough to work with. We have forward issues (desparately need a tall leading player with good hands and to punt a mid sized player for fast / pressure / goalkicking), but IMO even what we have now would be working ok if we could actually generate something close to parity in inside 50's. We aren't giving them much to work with, although granted, forwards need to provide the options as well.
When Logue is back, if Dawson can hold his own that allows Comben to go forward more often.
This is why I haven't mind seeing Pink forward with a pinch-hit in the ruck, to at least try and take one tall defender away from Larkey (and not put Larkey through the ruck).
Pink's not damaging, reasonable hands but without the craft and a seriously bad set shot even for a backman, but somebody (whether its him or someone else) can be a distraction until a potential forward can provide actual key support. Even throw Corr up there maybe for a while, just to see how it pans out.

My thoughts:
Delist
Curtis Taylor
Hamish Free
Hugh Greenwood
Tarryn Thomas
Liam Shiels
Robert Hansen
Blake Drury - I could contemplate leaving him on a rookie list for another year depending on what/who else is available

Free Agent/Trade
Cameron Zurhaar - reckon he's gone and my hunch is the AFL will juice our compo if we continue our trend of losing by 40 every week.

Retain
Bailey Scott - Offer 3 year deal, we need blokes who can run and he can run.
Brayden George - 2 year deal
Will Phillips - 2 year deal, I don't think we get enough from a trade for him and I still want to see what he looks like with multiple pre-seasons under his belt.
Charlie Lazzaro - 1 year deal, depth
Cooper Harvey - 1 year deal,
Eddie Ford - 1 year deal,
Jackson Archer - 2 year offer
Kallan Dawson - 2 year offer
Toby Pink - 1 year deal, offers depth and tries
Tyler Sellers - 1 year deal, worth another year in an area we are at our most weak
Finnbar Maley - 1 year deal, see above

Last edited:
When Logue is back, if Dawson can hold his own that allows Comben to go forward more often.
This is why I haven't mind seeing Pink forward with a pinch-hit in the ruck, to at least try and take one tall defender away from Larkey (and not put Larkey through the ruck).
Pink's not damaging, reasonable hands but without the craft and a seriously bad set shot even for a backman, but somebody (whether its him or someone else) can be a distraction until a potential forward can provide actual key support. Even throw Corr up there maybe for a while, just to see how it pans out.
Agree . But I just love what Chom is doing & what he could reliably become in our backline . I’ve said it from the start . It has a similar story & career vibe path to Robbie Tarrant.
I would leave Chom in the backline & figure out a KPF thru trade or draft or Pink or our new MSD Teakel

Agree . But I just love what Chom is doing & what he could reliably become in our backline . I’ve said it from the start . It has a similar story & career vibe path to Robbie Tarrant.
I would leave Chom in the backline & figure out a KPF thru trade or draft or Pink or our new MSD Teakel
I'm certainly not against him staying back either, given he's been showing some form there (I was doubtful on him as a defender, but its working). But somebody needs to either be brought in or developed to at least be able to play a reasonable secondary role.
They don't need to star, just show they might be able to become a decent B-grade performer more often than not will do for the near term.

One thing we need to be mindful of when delisting we have taken 2 msd till end of next year. Couple that with the fact that afl might not offer us the extra 2 rookie spots things might be tough. If we're looking in the draft to get a tall forward then I only see one of sellers or Maley surviving due to list balance

My thoughts:
Delist
Curtis Taylor
Hamish Free
Hugh Greenwood
Tarryn Thomas
Liam Shiels
Robert Hansen
Blake Drury - I could contemplate leaving him on a rookie list for another year depending on what/who else is available

Free Agent/Trade
Cameron Zurhaar - reckon he's gone and my hunch is the AFL will juice our compo if we continue our trend of losing by 40 every week.

Retain
Bailey Scott - Offer 3 year deal, we need blokes who can run and he can run.
Brayden George - 2 year deal
Will Phillips - 2 year deal, I don't think we get enough from a trade for him and I still want to see what he looks like with multiple pre-seasons under his belt.
Charlie Lazzaro - 1 year deal, depth
Cooper Harvey - 1 year deal,
Eddie Ford - 1 year deal,
Jackson Archer - 2 year offer
Kallan Dawson - 2 year offer
Toby Pink - 1 year deal, offers depth and tries
Tyler Sellers - 1 year deal, worth another year in an area we are at our most weak
Finnbar Maley - 1 year deal, see above
Agree Except
Delist Lazzaro
Trade Bailey & Phillips

One thing we need to be mindful of when delisting we have taken 2 msd till end of next year. Couple that with the fact that afl might not offer us the extra 2 rookie spots things might be tough. If we're looking in the draft to get a tall forward then I only see one of sellers or Maley surviving due to list balance

There is no way they take those list spots off us while we are still struggling so bad.

I’d be happy if we kept Sellers & Maley for another 12 months both of them are still young and relatively raw.

Teakle essentially replaces Free on the list.

Archer is the most overrated player on our list - he brings aggressive and that’s it.
Falls over a lot and is a liability with ball in hand.
I was of that belief too as well as his kicking was absolutely crap.
But he brings genuine pressure, passion & gives a duck.
Which is a lot more than half our list .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back