Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm going to wait until I have chance to watch a replay to see if in the 2H we were still bent over in effort and just beaten, or if we straightened up and became reactive.
The one thing I was positive about was that Richmond would come out hard. Like our champions would have. Team leaders, spend the next few drinking sessions with the boys planting that seed in the boys' heads. Total commitment, total desperation, and their careers will be memorable.

<S> to GAblett, took me many years to figure out why everyone was gushing over you and 30 possy games. You helped me understand what a good midfielder means to a team.

<S> Harry Taylor, a unique individual, who both excelled and entertained with his eccentricities. :)

Worst thing about a night grand final - we had to wait that long to watch that s**t 2nd half!

Why the hell was Gil doing a lap of honour after the game as well? Bizarre to say the least.

Does anyone else feel kind of disassociated from it all given the circumstances?

If today’s game was at the ‘G after a normal season I would be shattered. Hard to have the same emotional attachment given everything that has gone on to get to this point.
I have many things more important going on in my life right now so personalty I wasn't as attached,I also except Richmond are a very good football side so not so devastated either,a win tonight would have brightened things a little for me and it would have been a wonderful achievement for the Geelong footy club,we live to fight another day.

Cool night, virtually zero traffic. Ran by a train with literally two people on it. Love night runs for having a think when you need it.

It was probably my best ever run - would've gone 6 or 7kms without stopping. I came back to hear my Richmond neighbours blaring out music and screaming, and walked up my front stairs to see the celebrations on TV.

And I realised, it's not so bad.

I turned around and smashed out another 2-3kms. Absolute bull. And while charging up a hill, feeling a million dollars, I realised something.
"Location: Baghdad"

Sorry made me laugh - didn't realise footy was such a big thing there.

Pretty shit result but that's life.

Full credit to the Tigers.

We'll be back.

Oustanding career Gaz jnr. He's given every single football supporter great joy in his career and he is a legend of the game.

It's a sad day that we've seen the last of him.

Chin up Cats supporters, we've done well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think 2020 was satisfactory result when you look at it at the end of the day.
I didn't even expect us to win a single final let alone two of them so that's a pass mark for sure.

Unfortunately, I also believe the shorter 17 round season favored us a great deal.
We were beginning to plateau by seasons end so had it gone to the usual 22 rounds (tough ask next year with the age of our list), we probably miss top four and it could have been a little bit different.

I hope the club looks at shaking things up in 2021.
If Cameron signs, we will always be playing two KPF's no matter what.
Tonight illustrated why you simply can't rely on one tall and a batch of medium-smalls.
I also think the club has to look at moving on Rhys Stanley, Harry Taylor, Luke Dahlhaus and Gary Rohan. Henderson is another that should not be playing next year.
Mark Blicavs and Jake Kolodjashnij are always a worry when they get isolated.
We have a whole lot of players who are flaky under intense pressure. Sadly, this will be the make up of the team for the remainder of Scott's tenure as coach.

Just be nice to see a bit of change next season.
No more Rohan, Dahlhaus, Stanley, Taylor, Henderson. Play Clark, Stephens, Kreuger, De Koning, Narkle.
Stanley is very important and Henderson has been one of our best players this season......

kudos you lot for copping it sweet - no umpire blame game, no deluded tantrums - not easy but well played in here tonight ..........

Pretty clear cut loss to be honest, not much we can rant about, beaten by a better side

Must rethink the backline set up, we need run, good decision makers and blokes with composure under pressure. No surprise in the 3rd quarter when the pressure lifted that a lot of our defenders panicked and made basic errors, also went into their shells which invited more pressure.

Kolo and Henry get picked as talls or they dont play, can't use them on smalls anymore.

No surprise that Richmond ran over the top of us when we pick the backline that we do. Pick 2 of Kolo, Henry, Taylor or Henderson to play on the talls and get Clark into the team FFS.

There’s obviously some angry people on here tonight but I think we should be proud of our team. They ran out of legs in the second half and were beaten by a better team. Let’s be gracious in defeat.
They gave up... Not good enough - heads dropped - effort died off - you could tell they were broken.

With a few minutes left on the clock I just couldn't bear to watch anymore. Locked myself inside my room and couldn't bear to hear/watch any images of the Richmond celebrations whatsoever. Deleted all social media. Then I decided to go for a run.

Cool night, virtually zero traffic. Ran by a train with literally two people on it. Love night runs for having a think when you need it.

It was probably my best ever run - would've gone 6 or 7kms without stopping. I came back to hear my Richmond neighbours blaring out music and screaming, and walked up my front stairs to see the celebrations on TV.

And I realised, it's not so bad.

I turned around and smashed out another 2-3kms. Absolute bull. And while charging up a hill, feeling a million dollars, I realised something.

It's only footy.

Sure, it would've been nice to win. But with all that's going on and the circumstances - what really would've changed in my life had we won anyway? I'd still be in my living room, and we'd still be in lockdown.

Don't let it ruin your week guys.
Lucky Dan lifted the curfew.

I think 2020 was satisfactory result when you look at it at the end of the day.
I didn't even expect us to win a single final let alone two of them so that's a pass mark for sure.

Unfortunately, I also believe the shorter 17 round season favored us a great deal.
We were beginning to plateau by seasons end so had it gone to the usual 22 rounds (tough ask next year with the age of our list), we probably miss top four and it could have been a little bit different.

I hope the club looks at shaking things up in 2021.
If Cameron signs, we will always be playing two KPF's no matter what.
Tonight illustrated why you simply can't rely on one tall and a batch of medium-smalls.
I also think the club has to look at moving on Rhys Stanley, Harry Taylor, Luke Dahlhaus and Gary Rohan. Henderson is another that should not be playing next year.
Mark Blicavs and Jake Kolodjashnij are always a worry when they get isolated.
We have a whole lot of players who are flaky under intense pressure. Sadly, this will be the make up of the team for the remainder of Scott's tenure as coach.

Just be nice to see a bit of change next season.
No more Rohan, Dahlhaus, Stanley, Taylor, Henderson. Play Clark, Stephens, Kreuger, De Koning, Narkle.

Dahlaus and Stanley were fairly good tonight though. Rohan, blitz and kolo though my god.....questions seriously have to be asked. Has kolo or Rohan played a decent final?

Not going to say anything about Scott, well not anymore. But, what do you think he's going to say about Richmond's amazing side now? They really have earned about the same as the 07-11 Cats, with a year up their sleeve. Sorry...

I just want to say that up to half time, Duncan was Norm. He was our best when we were in control. Not seeing much love for him here but he is our most important player.

Yeah agree with that - he played really well, which was great to see given previous efforts.

The whole thing fell in a heap in the second half - but that wasn't due to him

This was definitely a game of 2 halves, unfortunately for Cats they did not capitalise on scoreboard in their half of dominance.

1st half Cats dominated the contest and played in their half for majority of game. Repeat entries led to goal scoring opportunities and while a couple were squandered the game was in control.

Geelong were manic in their attack on ball and player and caused Richmond into many kicking errors that led to turnovers. Vlastin going down meant that intercept marks wasn't a problem as Cats took multiple marks in forward 50. It was looking a game well within Geelong's reach at half time.

Selwood, Duncan and Guthrie were carving Tigers up in middle and Ablett with broken shoulder was sublime in setting up goal scoring opportunities.

2nd half was reverse of first. Tigers continued to pump the ball forward with their unique forward surge (any method possible is OK!!!) football that has so perplexed the completion over past 4 years.

Love it or hate it their ground ball swarm was troubling the Cats and the 3rd quarter was a forebarer in what was to come in the 4th quarter.

Geelong kept Danger forward in 3rd quarter that was coaching error and when Cats steadied late in quarter they scored points and not goals squandering chances that with more composure could have resulted in goals.

The forth was a procession for Tigers that had their confidence bouyed and the ball mainly played in their forward half. Cats players dropped their bundle unfortunately with Rowan, Blicavs and Stanley lacking composure at key times. The midfield panicked and kicked long to Richmond's outnumber and game was done.

If I was Geelong I would be filthy with virtual 30 min break at half time. I mean WTF AFL, in a compromised 16 min qtr game who comes up with this crap. Break was way too long, my brother mentioned despite Cats 15pt lead at half time virtually a second game starts again. The elongated break killed all of Geelong's momentum and the story in 2nd half was a stark difference to first.

Ultimately D Martin wrote his name in history as one of the greatest finals players ever and that is all she wrote.

Geelong will be bitterly disappointed with second half as only Selwood, Stewart and Ablett stood up as team mates wilted under the Saturday night Gabba lights.

Chin up lads, the sun comes up tomorrow and believe me no one can celebrate in Victoria anyway, Gestapo Dan has ruined it for everyone, even believe it or not Richmond.
Disagree with the half time break comment. Tigers turned the game in red time in the 2nd. Gained momentum before the break.

Similar to last year's Prelim, but worse. Good they made the GF regardless. Many of the same choices of game plan though. Very strange to only kick a goal per qtr again in the second half. Was danger in the midfield at all, prior to the last qtr?
Maybe just my opinion but if Richmond had beat Brisbane in the QF then it would've been the prelim. We just can't beat Richmond, Brisbane showed us how but we can't repeat it. We are just too old and slow - if we couldn't win with shorter quarters and longer breaks why would we think the result will be different next year?. selling everything to get Cameron won't change thre result - Hawkins had his best year - do we really thing that will continue indefinetely?.

Seriously can we finally start focusing in developing youth.....PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back