Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 4 points - Rd 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giving up a lead like that is a little concerning, however finals are next week... Top spot means nothing, as we already have the double chance. I hope our second half was player management, otherwise another wasted year...

This is probably the biggest overreaction I've seen on any autopsy thread, in the history of my time on the Geelong BF board.

1. The stakes were very low for us, despite how the commentators were acting. Regardless of the result, we finish Top 4, and we get the double chance and play in Adelaide.

2. It was clear we completely put the cue in the rack in the second half, and everyone dropped off. We were playing with one eye on next week (as Scott alluded to), and it showed in the management of players on the bench, and the way we played risk averse footy the whole last quarter - to avoid any injury leading into finals. Rightly or wrongly, that's how it looked, that's how Sel and Scott seem to have reacted to it, and that's how it played out.

3. We didn't get smacked by 10 goals...we lost by 4 points...against the minor premiers...who were full strength and weren't missing players...after being up by as much as 44 points at one stage.

4. I would much rather this capitulation happen in Round 23, then the QF, PF or GF (historically we've been pretty good in semis). The worst thing that could have happened, is that we hold on to win the game tonight, and the players and coaching staff all go 'oh yeah, that worked, let's do that again when we're up by a lot.' This way, they get the kick up the ass BEFORE finals, rather than AFTER finals...when we've been eliminated/lost the decider - as is usually the case.

5. Guthrie made one mistake in a season, that was costly, and suddenly he's the town pariah? Jeez. Same with Close, who's been good all year, and had one bad blemish. We deserved to lose that game, from the moment we tried to hold on with 6 minutes to go.

6. Despite what many on here have said, Melbourne were the better team all night. They were inaccurate early on, and then some sheer brilliance from Paddy, Sel and Stanley, for a 15 minute period in the second, took us 39 points up at half time. If we had of played that frenetic way all night, then absolutely we would have been kicking ourselves for losing. As it stands, we played that way for 15 minutes, and the rest of the time we played conservatively.

Lastly. As every single person here knows, and as we have been lectured at ad nauseam by Tigers supporters and the like, 'flags are not won during the home and away season - they're won at the pointy end.' We've always blown our load too early, and looked a million bucks halfway through the season, before we cough and splutter our way into finals, and ultimately lose. This year, we coughed and spluttered at the start, built nicely during the middle, and have cruised through to a Top 4 position, with most players (bar Stewart) likely to play in our Qualifier. This is a far better result than previous years - and mirrors the Tiger attitude they adopted in previous years. Once you make finals and get the double chance, the home and away season means nothing - people would do well to remember that.

Peace.

Gotta say mate I always look forward to your posts and your POV.

You provide the objective view, not the sky is falling view.

Great maturity and knowledge so kudos to you.

So sad to see us trying to wind the clock down with 8-9 minutes to play :( FFS - 1 or 2 goals would have broken the comeback apart - grrrrr
The way we played the first half, we should have kept it up. You do not muck about with form going into the finals. I hate to say it, but it smells of straight sets that type of crap. I really hate to say it because I'm up for winning a grand if we go all the way.:(

This is probably the biggest overreaction I've seen on any autopsy thread, in the history of my time on the Geelong BF board.

2. It was clear we completely put the cue in the rack in the second half, and everyone dropped off. We were playing with one eye on next week (as Scott alluded to), and it showed in the management of players on the bench, and the way we played risk averse footy the whole last quarter - to avoid any injury leading into finals. Rightly or wrongly, that's how it looked, that's how Sel and Scott seem to have reacted to it, and that's how it played out.

Peace.

I don't see it like that. Playing with form is poison. When I was playing state tournament (b/ball) in Adelaide, our coach had this idea if we throw an early game we get into section B away from a gun Vic side who was our major competitor. We were warm favorites. Anyway, we threw the game and got into section B. Had 4 more games, and got beat every one. Could not get our mojo back, and we played terrible. Just thinking about it still shits me. Cue in the rack thinking shits me.

the loss of the 4 points i can handle - frustrating but so be it.

What really gets me is now the psychology of that.
That group now know that they can't hold a lead like that and that they will doubt the process that has won many games. Not just that, but every other of the 7 teams left now know that we can be gotten from that far in front. Its not a good place to be going into a QF in a

It beggars belief that we stopped like that and allowed them to get back into it.

Im at work all day now on 2.5 hrs sleep and have the guts ripped out of me.

Hollow.

GO Catters

That group now know that they can't hold a lead like that and that they will doubt the process that has won many games. Not just that, but every other of the 7 teams left now know that we can be gotten from that far in front. Its not a good place to be going into a QF in a

It beggars belief that we stopped like that and allowed them to get back into it.

Hollow.

GO Catters
Feels pretty ****ing "mission accomplished" to me.

Cheers mate :) A lot worse is going on in the world right now - globally and closer to home, so it kinda helps me have a bit less of an emotional perspective about things, haha.

The single biggest indicator that we held a lot back, is that Sel only played 64% GT, Guth played 72% and Parf played 68%. Those are some pretty low numbers for our midfield group. Rightly or wrongly, we thought we could hold the lead, but it honestly didn't seem like the players cared that much - as getting away without any injuries was the biggest concern heading into finals.

I also know, that if we add Tuohy, Duncan and Higgins in tonight, for say Holmes, Dahl and and Simpson, we probably win that game - so it's not all doom and gloom there either.

Anyway, just like people lose their sh*t during pre-season when we play badly, it's the same scenario here - the season restarts, and the Top 4 all start on pretty even terms (only Port with a home final of all teams in the 8).

Bring on Finals!

44 points up and then fail to kick a goal for over 40 minutes? Same pattern in finals of the past. The coaching is a major problem.

When we attack we look fantastic. Reverting to a conservative game style is what costs us. Or coaches have a strong preference for this. Our players simply lack the skills to execute.

Worst loss i can remember and i have supported the side for 50 years.

The worst thing is without context a 4 point loss to the 1st team would make you feel like we are not far off.

If it had been a close back and forth game all night I wouldn’t be bothered by it, but that capitulation was just really weak.

Honestly Melbourne have issues as well, the fact they conceded 8 goals straight in that 2nd qrt should concern them moving forward.

Thought we gave up some easy goals in that second half, and am attributing some of that to the loss of Stewart.
Early on counted 3 punchs from Henry that either he or stewart would normally take. One was the goal in the last Q where the punch did not reach the goaline. Sobwe lost Stewart and Hwnry has regressed to a puncher in a contest like 3 years ago. Confidence....thing Jack new if he missed the mark, Stewart was the back up punch

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The massive mental free kick we've given the competition is the biggest thing to come out of tonight. Had it been tight all night and we just lose, you don't necessarily lose face, but to blow a 7 goal lead and give up 6 unanswered goals while showing no intent to take risks just shows how fragile mentally this group is.

The opposing sides will look at this and know if it's a tight final or if we get out to a lead, that we are very susceptible to completely going into our shells once the pressure is put on. Tonight was not a performance of a side with the mental strength to win a flag.
Mission Accomplish all over again

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I come in peace. I agree with one of your posters in saying that none of the top 4 teams seasons are over. There's no richmond dynasty team this year, it's anyones flag.

I thought it was an incredible game. i don't think your drop off in intensity is any more worrying than the 2nd quarter drop off we had where you guys kicked like 5 goals in 5 mins or something nuts.

Your accuracy in front of goal is so hard to stop as it consistently adds scoreboard pressure even if its against the flow.

We have no injuries, and you guys are missing Tuohy and Stewart. Not to pick a fight but I've always felt that you guys often struggle knowing what the line is between possession football and over possession football. 1 more goal by you guys and the game was done. The best football I've seen you guys play has been fast and only slow in moments.

Guthrie is a gun player but he just lost concentration at the end there and got a little fancy with clock management as he was talking to the umpire before making the skill error.

I think you guys will beat Port and everything will be back to normal.

The massive mental free kick we've given the competition is the biggest thing to come out of tonight. Had it been tight all night and we just lose, you don't necessarily lose face, but to blow a 7 goal lead and give up 6 unanswered goals while showing no intent to take risks just shows how fragile mentally this group is.

The opposing sides will look at this and know if it's a tight final or if we get out to a lead, that we are very susceptible to completely going into our shells once the pressure is put on. Tonight was not a performance of a side with the mental strength to win a flag.
Agreed. Probably the worst possible outcome for us going into finals. A ten goal flogging would probably be a more positive outcome, because at least you could just put it down to "We just had an off-night".
Having said all of that, some huge mistakes in the last 30 seconds in quick succession cost us the game, and usually we wouldn't see A) Guthrie stupidly kicking it out on the full, B) Close giving away a stupid 50m penalty, and C) The defense giving Gawn a paddock to mark in front of goal.
A terrible outcome for the final game of the season, but at least the team goes into finals knowing nothing is a given, and you're only going to make it if you work your asses off.

The worst thing is without context a 4 point loss to the 1st team would make you feel like we are not far off.

If it had been a close back and forth game all night I wouldn’t be bothered by it, but that capitulation was just really weak.

Honestly Melbourne have issues as well, the fact they conceded 8 goals straight in that 2nd qrt should concern them moving forward.
Teams now know we are mentally weak at defending a lead. We will just chip kick it around rather then try to finish them off. They won’t give up as easily Now. They know they Are still in.

we also now go into the first final mentally Flat. Our intensity was up last night and It failed. Incredibly hard to bounce back off that like nothing happened.

scotts comments wreak of mission accomplished. Seems like he has learned nothing from that.

i think we will be smashed in the first qtr and then will be trying to crawl it back all night.

Hollow.

GO Catters
You keep defending Chris Scott’s defensive football. There is a reason some of us are against it.

we refuse to handball quickly from a mark to a player running past. Must control it through measured kicking and eventually when those options dry up just bomb it long down the line. Doesn’t work when the other side applies significant foward defensive pressure.

refuse to just punch the ball foward in a contested situation. Always have to grab It knowing we will be tackled to force a ball up. Doesn’t work when the other team gets on top in the clearances.

no risk no reward in finals Pressure football.

Last edited:

That’s not an objective post. it’s a completely biased optimistic post and the optimism isnt even rational. At one point he says melbourne was thé best team all night. How the f*** is that a good thing heading into the finals against the major challenger for thé flag?

The way we played the first half, we should have kept it up. You do not muck about with form going into the finals. I hate to say it, but it smells of straight sets that type of crap. I really hate to say it because I'm up for winning a grand if we go all the way.:(
The last month has been crap
I'm sensing a straight sets exit

I don't see it like that. Playing with form is poison. When I was playing state tournament (b/ball) in Adelaide, our coach had this idea if we throw an early game we get into section B away from a gun Vic side who was our major competitor. We were warm favorites. Anyway, we threw the game and got into section B. Had 4 more games, and got beat every one. Could not get our mojo back, and we played terrible. Just thinking about it still shits me. Cue in the rack thinking shits me.
Hope the Bball team gave it to the coach and/or club fired him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back