Autopsy Geelong QF loses to Richmond by 51 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Typifies Geelong as a club, really. What a pissweak response.
Do you think Geelong would battle Tigers on Twitter though? Our club is too gracious, too polite, which might be perceived as weak, but imagine the s***storm from Tigers fans if Geelong savaged Tigers on Twitter lol Would be a great popcorn moment. Even it Geelong spoke to AFL about Richmond, I doubt the AFL, who are so heavily invested in Tigers going all the way, would give a flying fig.

A clearly underdone Selwood still offered more than what the next player in probably would have. I mean, we're playing 65kg rookies, for God's sakes.
This is a fallacy.

We would have been better off with Menegola in the middle, Menzel in the forward line and Selwood in the coaches box.

I love Joel but we have to take off the rose coloured glasses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh come on mate. You are an excellent poster but you are really letting the club off the hook here. We consistently finish top 4 yet it is unrealistic for us to expect/hope to be competitive in finals and actually have a crack at a flag? Nonsense.
Serious. I believe we could/should have been about 13 wins this year. We were very lucky to win 3 this year, very.
We also are very consistent, but can not go that next level required in finals, mainly because we get max out of our list just to get where we are.
Just my opinion.
And we were competitive, just overrun by a superior team.
Hard to explain why we were overrun in the second half after catching up.
Maybe we needed the run for Selwood and Blic who have both missed a few games- Blic one back, then the bye.

Last edited:
72cb40b411e9aa8a90765659fd769178.jpg

And the odds are in for next week

Because Selwood put his hand up to play for some reason.
And should have been pooped into the forward pocket as a defensive goal kicker, particularly with Menzel out. Every Geelong supporter knew that Menegola and Duncan stepped up with Selwood out . Use a player coming back after extended time our sparingly.
Again poor selection, game plan and coaching

I think with the bye and the intensity not having a VFL team going deep into finals is a real disadvantage.
There's no coincidence IMO the teams that have won flags this decade have all had their VFL/NEAFL team go deep into finals and more often than not they've won the VFL flag.
For starters it keeps players involved and around the club during bye weeks, fringe and non fit players get to play and intensity is lifted across the board because people are playing for their spots.
Having so many perennially injured and injury prone players really hurts our VFL team and provides it with no continuity.
I think that needs to be looked at as well as recruiting a couple of hardened durable VFL quality midfielders with leadership qualities.
That's just my small take on what could be a reason.

Yep. this is an interesting observation. We have done well in the past on the back of very good VFL performances.
As a VFL watcher it does peeve me that i see so many listed players from other sides take on the remaining "fit " listed players we have - usually a 2:1 ratio. We seem to be so injury prone -- or injury averse, that we pay a price and that price is paid at this end of the season. Maybe those that have niggles need to learn how to play through them. Not something I say easily but this is professional sport.

I was big supporter of Josh Cowan. The kid i saw first about 7 years ago was a steal with a late pick. He has been managed in the hope that he would be able to provide that "sparkle". Injuries take their toll though. When he came back , he could never dredge up that natural instinctive stuff again.

Maybe we should have moved Vardy on earlier. Maybe we should move on Gregson and McCarthy? I don't know - talent is hard to find,
But you are right we need more hard bodies in the VFL to get further into the finals.

Whilst there are always the usual rediculous melts, i wasn't really upset after last night, I found it hard to finger point because I think we were beat by manic pressure. I actually thought our guys did well to create such a scrap and still be in it late.

Really didn't see that many "really" poor games. Plenty of guys down on their normal output, but essentially I saw guys trying their arse off but being beaten by a more systematic pressure.

Motlop tried, zuthrie was good, murda had chances and bews was quiet without being poor, every team relies on moments of brilliance from a select few and last night I think (in an unusual agreeance with Scott) that we just didn't have enough guys having a good night, no system failure, no effort failure just beaten by a team who was "on". Law of averages says we have a lot more moments of brilliance next week ( head says no, but heart says we are not done yet)

This is a fallacy.

We would have been better off with Menegola in the middle

I'm really not sure that allowing Menegola more opportunities to fumble, hold onto the ball too long and make basic skill errors would have made us better off.

Selwood struggled last night but Menegola was putrid. Was close to the worst on ground in the first quarter.

Until Menegola can show he is ready to handle the intensity of finals footy he should not be anywhere near the middle.

Yep. this is an interesting observation. We have done well in the past on the back of very good VFL performances.
As a VFL watcher it does peeve me that i see so many listed players from other sides take on the remaining "fit " listed players we have - usually a 2:1 ratio. We seem to be so injury prone -- or injury averse, that we pay a price and that price is paid at this end of the season. Maybe those that have niggles need to learn how to play through them. Not something I say easily but this is professional sport.

I was big supporter of Josh Cowan. The kid i saw first about 7 years ago was a steal with a late pick. He has been managed in the hope that he would be able to provide that "sparkle". Injuries take their toll though. When he came back , he could never dredge up that natural instinctive stuff again.

Maybe we should have moved Vardy on earlier. Maybe we should move on Gregson and McCarthy? I don't know - talent is hard to find,
But you are right we need more hard bodies in the VFL to get further into the finals.
Yeah just noticed Richmond are into the Prelim of the VFL today.
There has to be an advantage. Happens too often for it not to be.

I'm really not sure that allowing Menegola more opportunities to fumble, hold onto the ball too long and make basic skill errors would have made us better off.

Selwood struggled last night but Menegola was putrid. Was close to the worst on ground in the first quarter.

Until Menegola can show he is ready to handle the intensity of finals footy he should not be anywhere near the middle.
Menegola was marginalised with the return of Selwood.

At least give him a chance.

This is a fallacy.

We would have been better off with Menegola in the middle, Menzel in the forward line and Selwood in the coaches box.

I love Joel but we have to take off the rose coloured glasses.
Menegola in the middle, yeah, and Menzel up forward. However, anywhere you play Selwood on the ground, he would have been better than some wet-behind-the-ears 19yo.

Menegola in the middle, yeah, and Menzel up forward. However, anywhere you play Selwood on the ground, he would have been better than some wet-behind-the-ears 19yo.
Selwood kicked 6 goals the whole season...

Zuthrie who would have replaced Selwood was actually better than Selwood!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong QF loses to Richmond by 51 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back