• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Kieran Strachan

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn’t disagree with you more.

Coach has no business in his spot.

The decisions on trades/evaluation of talent/drafting is on par with the Browns the last 3 decades.

Need to completely gut the organization top to bottom and get in people who know what the hell they are doing

If Andrew Berrys decision to pair Deshaun Watson and Amari Cooper works - maybe we hire him down at Crowland?

Say something that says "I know nothing about football", without saying "I know nothing about football".
He played on Brown, enough said. Against a decent taller defender with speed he often goes missing. You don't see the bloke win too many hardballs and can he play in the midfield? Granted he's a good opportunist but that's all he is. Zach Bailey is a far superior player who has more than one string to his bow. Carrying on like a porkchop kicking goals on a cooked brown was laughable but sums up the bloke. He's a good player but nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Last edited:

The decisions on trades/evaluation of talent/drafting is on par with the Browns the last 3 decades.

Need to completely gut the organization top to bottom and get in people who know what the hell they are doing

The club has a new CEO, new chairman, new head of football, new high performance manager and a new senior coach. The problem is with the exception of Darren Burgess who is a proven elite performer, none of the others have ever performed their roles at AFL level before. Our list manager and head of recruiting also never had jobs at that level before. How many of them will be the next Brett Burton? Nobody knows and that's the problem.

Then you have Ricciuto on the board who has power well out of proportion to his track record as an administrator.

Nicks has Burns, Rahilly and Van Berlo, all assistants from premiership winning coaching panels, supporting him so ironically the coaches are more experienced than the men above them and not the first place to look to clean the place out.

We really need a Neil Balme type as head of football. Someone who knows which moving parts are working at the required level and which aren't. Without a strong head of football and with Ricciuto wielding so much power, there's a real risk the rebuild will fail and the club will become more dysfunctional as it does.

Going into the last quarter Laird had around 25 possessions and only about 150 metres gained.

When the game was out of reach why not flip he and Jones around and give Jones a quarter playing in the middle and move Laird back to half back?

Blight once famously said that he didn't regret losing a game, he only regretted the losses where he didn't try anything different and walked away learning nothing. He'd rather lose by 60 points and walk away having learnt something rather than losing by 5 goals and not learning anything.

We conceded 8 straight goals and yet did absolutely nothing and as a consequence learned nothing.

It just feels like Nicks just doesn't have a lot of creativity as a coach and doesn't think outside the box.
It's very much a coaching philosophy across the board now.

Hence you see the very best still have that creativity and it's what separates them. TBH the game is so structured now and all the AFL coaches go through the same courses and programs.

It's made the game the "spectacle" it is today

List management and recruiting should be the priority for the club. They fixed everything else except these critical areas. Riccuito, Ogilvie, Reid should have been replaced when they moved everyone else on. That's the final piece in the puzzle.

Last edited:
If Andrew Berrys decision to pair Deshaun Watson and Amari Cooper works - maybe we hire him down at Crowland?
Just what Crows need—trading away next 3 first rounders for a guy likely to be suspended for 12 games (at least—if he is lucky)

Ohh and add in the guy Crows trade for doesn’t want to go to Adelaide—at all—until and unless the Crows guarantee him largest contract in AFL history

I am sure that AB template will translate well in SA

;)

The club has a new CEO, new chairman, new head of football, new high performance manager and a new senior coach. The problem is with the exception of Darren Burgess who is a proven elite performer, none of the others have ever performed their roles at AFL level before. Our list manager and head of recruiting also never had jobs at that level before. How many of them will be the next Brett Burton? Nobody knows and that's the problem.

Then you have Ricciuto on the board who has power well out of proportion to his track record as an administrator.

Nicks has Burns, Rahilly and Van Berlo, all assistants from premiership winning coaching panels, supporting him so ironically the coaches are more experienced than the men above them and not the first place to look to clean the place out.

We really need a Neil Balme type as head of football. Someone who knows which moving parts are working at the required level and which aren't. Without a strong head of football and with Ricciuto wielding so much power, there's a real risk the rebuild will fail and the club will become more dysfunctional as it does.
“None of the others have performed their roles at the AFL level before”

Replace AFL with NFL and welcome to Cleveland the last 35 years

Couldn’t agree with you more on the issue—but we cannot afford to waste anymore time or years with in over their heads people.

So it needs fixed, in my opinion

List management and recruiting should be the priority for the club. They fixed everything else except these critical areas. Riccuito, Ogilvie, Reid should have been replaced when they moved everyone else on. That's the final piece in the puzzle.
Head coach is a disaster

They all need gone

We haven’t changed our draft guru

How many do the best teams have on average rotate through each week?
Click the link to AFL Statsman's Twitter account, it has every team.

The majority of clubs had 7 players, as did we.

I don't think that anyone can be confident that either Gollant or Fogarty are going to pan out. They have almost identical stats in 2022.

FOG - 44 games total. 5 Preseasons. Came into AFL with an AFL ready body.
Gollant - 8 games total. 3 preseasons. Came into the team the same height as Tex, but 28 kilos lighter

If FOG wasn't pick 12 nobody would be advocating for him.
People on these boards have a seriously weird obsession with high draft picks.

Don't suppose those same people realise where Jordan Dawson was drafted do they? One of many examples of non high draft picks being elite. On the flip side there's still plenty of top level draft picks that simply never worked for clubs.

As far as Gollant & Fogarty go one its too early to say. The other? Well he's running out of chances and time. I still have a little hope things can click, especially as our side gets better but its hard to be confident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People on these boards have a seriously weird obsession with high draft picks.

Don't suppose those same people realise where Jordan Dawson was drafted do they? One of many examples of non high draft picks being elite. On the flip side there's still plenty of top level draft picks that simply never worked for clubs.

As far as Gollant & Fogarty go one its too early to say. The other? Well he's running out of chances and time. I still have a little hope things can click, especially as our side gets better but its hard to be confident.
That’s a weird post.

You could rattle some of the best players in the comp and a high number were low picks, so it’s not a weird obsession and it’s not just this board that values them, the afl industry does. Of course you’ve got to pick well.

How's this list over the last 2 years for starters?

New Chairman : John Olsen

New CEO : Tim Silvers (ex Hawks)

New Head Of fitness : Darren Burgess (ex Demons)

New Coach : Matthew Nicks

New Assistant Coaches : Scott Burns (ex Collingwood) James Rahilly (ex Geelong) Nathan Van Berlo (ex West Coast)

New Development Coach : Marco Bello (ex Hawks)

New Fitness Assistant : Tim Parham (ex PL)

New Data and Analytic person : Chris Sheedy (ex Port)

New Recruiter : Richard Taylor (ex Richmond)

Last edited:

I think that's a little harsh. How many Superbowls have the Browns competed in since they came back into the comp? We were very stiff not to have had at least one flag out of 2005/6 and 2017. I agree, however, that we don't seem to be improving from 2020 onwards - but rather spinning our wheels and relying on older players too much - and that is directly related to coaching. The early draft picks have been 'conservative' and lack any sort of game-breaking ability in my view. Rachele and Soligo look to have something, and a few of our later picks have shown something. I don't think Fog will make it, nor Berg, nor Frampton, so in addition to our midfield / ruck woes, we now have a gap for a couple of KPF's.

How's this list over the last 2 years for starters?

New Chairman : John Olsen

New CEO : Phil Silvers (ex Hawks)

New Head Of fitness : Darren Burgess (ex Demons)

New Coach : Matthew Nicks

New Assistant Coaches : Scott Burns (ex Collingwood) James Rahilly (ex Geelong) Nathan Van Berlo (ex West Coast)

New Development Coach : Marco Bello (ex Hawks)

New Fitness Assistant : Tim Parham (ex PL)

New Data and Analytic person : Chris Sheedy (ex Port)

New Recruiter : Richard Taylor (ex Richmond)
You are what your record says you are

How’s that?

I think that's a little harsh. How many Superbowls have the Browns competed in since they came back into the comp? We were very stiff not to have had at least one flag out of 2005/6 and 2017. I agree, however, that we don't seem to be improving from 2020 onwards - but rather spinning our wheels and relying on older players too much - and that is directly related to coaching. The early draft picks have been 'conservative' and lack any sort of game-breaking ability in my view. Rachele and Soligo look to have something, and a few of our later picks have shown something. I don't think Fog will make it, nor Berg, nor Frampton, so in addition to our midfield / ruck woes, we now have a gap for a couple of KPF's.
I meant the decisions the last few years are on par with Browns like decisions the last 35.

I guess I should have made that clearer when I posted.

I never thought Fog was more than just a guy—and have consistently said so. The red flag from the get-go on him was his fitness, and lack thereof.

Berg has been awful from day 1

Coaching and personnel decision makers have brought us to the place we are now.

Uncompetitive and but for a couple luck box wins at the whistle, a wooden spoon candidate

Yeah going from bottom back to a Finals contending team is an over my overnight process.

#clueless
Glad you are happy with poor coaching—poor drafting—poor record

Enjoy

Yes you are
Unfortunately we can't get a wizard in to wave a magic wand, we were at ground Zero when Pyke/Burton were finished.

They're gone and we've made a shed load of changes both administrative and in the Football Department....bringing in people from successful backgrounds....it'not going to happen overnight.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad vs Brisbane, R9 2022

Back